Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work? 
Author Message
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?

Has anyone ever successfully written a Clipper application that someone
telnets into and runs?

I have tried one Telnet server with a couple of clients, and I cannot get it
to work.

I can run the application, and see the output.  I can enter text in at a
prompt, but the <enter> key on the client side does not work.  I do not know
if it is a problem with the Telnet server or clients.

Right now, I just want to try to get something simple like the following
program to work.

PROC MAIN
accept "Enter value" to test
? test
return

Any tips?  Do I need to compile with a specific terminal driver?

John



Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:48:51 GMT  
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?

Quote:
> Has anyone ever successfully written a Clipper application that someone
> telnets into and runs?

> I have tried one Telnet server with a couple of clients, and I cannot get
> it to work.

> I can run the application, and see the output. I can enter text in at a
> prompt, but the <enter> key on the client side does not work. I do not
> know if it is a problem with the Telnet server or clients.

On the surface this would appear to be an issue for the telnet client and or
server that you're evaluating. You don't say which ones you are evaluating,
perhaps it's worth documenting this so as to ensure you don't get offered
redundant suggestions and/or so you can get useful advice regarding the
software you're using.

You also don't say what other software you've tested this way so as to
eliminate anything specific to Clipper. Neither do you say if you've spoken
to the producers of these products about your problems.

You might also want to document what environments you're working with, both
at the server and at the client.

. o O ( I wonder if the adverts for Max and FlagShip are being typed up as )
      ( I type this?                                                       )

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.



Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:11:21 GMT  
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?
Try Win 2000  it works but a bit slow.


Quote:
> Has anyone ever successfully written a Clipper application that someone
> telnets into and runs?

> I have tried one Telnet server with a couple of clients, and I cannot get
it
> to work.

> I can run the application, and see the output.  I can enter text in at a
> prompt, but the <enter> key on the client side does not work.  I do not
know
> if it is a problem with the Telnet server or clients.

> Right now, I just want to try to get something simple like the following
> program to work.

> PROC MAIN
> accept "Enter value" to test
> ? test
> return

> Any tips?  Do I need to compile with a specific terminal driver?

> John



Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:14:34 GMT  
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?
John,

see:
www.georgiasoftworks.com

A large client of mine uses their telnet server for providing remote access
to our clipper applications. They also have some banks using one of our
applications over their telnet via dial-up lines. Works great. Ensure you
have your CPU usage in your apps under control before attempting to allow
telnet access to multiple users.

- Kevin.


Quote:

> > Has anyone ever successfully written a Clipper application that someone
> > telnets into and runs?

> > I have tried one Telnet server with a couple of clients, and I cannot
get
> > it to work.

> > I can run the application, and see the output. I can enter text in at a
> > prompt, but the <enter> key on the client side does not work. I do not
> > know if it is a problem with the Telnet server or clients.

> On the surface this would appear to be an issue for the telnet client and
or
> server that you're evaluating. You don't say which ones you are
evaluating,
> perhaps it's worth documenting this so as to ensure you don't get offered
> redundant suggestions and/or so you can get useful advice regarding the
> software you're using.

> You also don't say what other software you've tested this way so as to
> eliminate anything specific to Clipper. Neither do you say if you've
spoken
> to the producers of these products about your problems.

> You might also want to document what environments you're working with,
both
> at the server and at the client.

> . o O ( I wonder if the adverts for Max and FlagShip are being typed up
as )
>       ( I type
      )

> --
> Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release
functions.
> http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for
Linux.
> http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
> http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.



Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:17:24 GMT  
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?


Quote:
> Has anyone ever successfully written a Clipper application that someone
> telnets into and runs?

> I have tried one Telnet server with a couple of clients, and I cannot get
it
> to work.
[cut]
> Any tips?  Do I need to compile with a specific terminal driver?

You may wish to download and test OTC Terminal for Clipper
from http://www.otc.pl/en/tm_dbf.html

OTC Terminal for Clipper is a specialized solution
allowing to effectively use Clipper applications over
WAN and LAN networks.

Features of OTC Terminal which are not available
in generic (telnet) solution:

- no 100% CPU load problem on keyboard reading,
even for hundreds of remote sessions

- RPC (remote procedure call) mechanism which enables
you to add your Clipper functions to terminal emulator
(te.exe) end then call them from an application to
perform any terminal-side processing

- "terminal transactions" ensure that your application
will finish the intended processing even in case
network connection is lost

- fully Clipper-compatible keyboard processing

- easy integration with OTC Mediator package

Best regards,
Bozena Potempa



Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:01:49 GMT  
 Clipper and Telnet - Anyone get it to work?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Wow!   I just installed the eval of Georgia Softworks Windows NT Telnet
Server (http://www.georgiasoftworks.com).  I then installed the included
client on a Win 95 machine, and it worked flawlesly without having to do or
configure anything?   Cool!

I am trying another telnet server, but I am having to work on the
configuration.  Then again the other company has a Character based
Inexpensive Terminal Server perfect for Clipper (it only takes dial-in
connections).   Many features similar to Citrix.



Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:15:17 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Has anyone gotten the generated Convert to work.

2. Has anyone ever gotten Java Activator, EAI, and Cosmo 2.1 to work

3. EcoLisp threads - anyone gotten them to work?

4. Has anyone gotten SOAR to work under akcl?

5. OT: Kerberos stopping telnet from working

6. tcl/expect doesn't work unless I telnet into the machine

7. Running a Clipper app on a Telnet/Terminal Window

8. List of clipper ftp, telnet boards

9. HELP... Searching for TELNET module for CLIPPER

10. Using tcl telnet client with Windows telnet server

11. Spawn a telnet session from a spawned telnet session

12. expect: telnet within telnet

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software