The cost of using SET EPOCH
Author Message
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

[Ordinarily I'd not post something like this to comp.lang.clipper but in
 this particular case I think it is very on-topic]

Take a look at <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, it
appears that McDonnell Douglas have received a patent for date windowing as
a fix to the "Y2K bug".

Yet more proof, if any was actually needed, that software patents are a
really stupid idea. Quite how this patent was awarded I don't know (I
couldn't find any more pointers in the brief time I had to read the article)
but the frightening thing is that windowing has been around for years. At
least one ANSI standard language I know of has this ability built into the
specification.

Not to mention the fact that Clipper (the language) has had date windowing
specified at the core of its date handling since 5.0.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.*-*-*.com/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
> appears that McDonnell Douglas have received a patent for date windowing
as
> a fix to the "Y2K bug".

I would assume that If Nantuckets use of the SET EPOCH command pre-dates the
patents, we are fairly safe..

but when did the law make sense..

gerard

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
*  The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!   *

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
> > appears that McDonnell Douglas have received a patent for date windowing
> > as a fix to the "Y2K bug".

> I would assume that If Nantuckets use of the SET EPOCH command pre-dates
> the patents, we are fairly safe..

This is the problem isn't it? I don't know when the patent was awarded, I
got the impression it was awarded recently, but it seems clear that it
should never have been awarded due to the fact that it was already a common
technique.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH
This sounds ridiculous to me. May be the new best way to get rich
quick is trying to get patents for loop,  conditional branching
(if-else-endif), etc. ...:-(

More over, there are millions javanese people using java language
without paying any single cent to Sun Microsystem. Will Sun
Microsystem sue all of us ?

Quote:

>[Ordinarily I'd not post something like this to comp.lang.clipper but in
> this particular case I think it is very on-topic]

>Take a look at <URL:http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1009-200-1426450.html>, it
>appears that McDonnell Douglas have received a patent for date windowing as
>a fix to the "Y2K bug".

>Yet more proof, if any was actually needed, that software patents are a
>really stupid idea. Quite how this patent was awarded I don't know (I
>couldn't find any more pointers in the brief time I had to read the article)
>but the frightening thing is that windowing has been around for years. At
>least one ANSI standard language I know of has this ability built into the
>specification.

>Not to mention the fact that Clipper (the language) has had date windowing
>specified at the core of its date handling since 5.0.

--
Bambang P
http://members.xoom.com/bpranoto

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> This is the problem isn't it? I don't know when the patent was awarded, I
> got the impression it was awarded recently, but it seems clear that it
> should never have been awarded due to the fact that it was already a
common
> technique.

if the application (and award) post-dates the release of clipper 5.0, maybe
C.A. should apply for the patent, they might start to take an interest in
clipper, if it proves to generate some revenue again  <grin>...

gerard

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
*  The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!   *

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> This sounds ridiculous to me. May be the new best way to get rich quick is
> trying to get patents for loop, conditional branching (if-else-endif),
> etc. ...:-(

It wouldn't be the first time that something like this has been attempted or
actually happened. IIRC IBM's patent on using XOR for graphic masking is a
good example.

Quote:
> More over, there are millions javanese people using java language without
> paying any single cent to Sun Microsystem. Will Sun Microsystem sue all of
> us ?

This I don't follow. How does the above pertain to software patents?

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> This is the problem isn't it? I don't know when the patent was awarded, I
> got the impression it was awarded recently, but it seems clear that it
> should never have been awarded due to the fact that it was already a common
> technique.

The real problem is that the US Patent Office appears to have stopped
reviewing software patents for prior art a long time ago. Instead, it
appears that the US Patent Office merely checks that software patent
applications are worded properly and reference the minimum number of
prior related patents. Then the US Patent Office {*filter*} stamps the
sotware patents and leaves it up to the victims of the patent holders
to attempt to invalidate the patents. And even though it shouldn't take
much effort to invalidate this particular patent, a lot of public
companies won't bother, because it will be cheaper for them to knuckle
under and pay a penny-ante license fee than to fight the patent in
court and get sued by their investors for taking the more expensive
route. Other companies will enter into cross-licensing agreements in
order to avoid the nuisance of license payments. As a result of this
incompetence on the part of the US Patent Office, software patents in
the US have been turned into a new form of extortion.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> It wouldn't be the first time that something like this has been attempted or
> actually happened. IIRC IBM's patent on using XOR for graphic masking is a
> good example.

Yes, that actually happened, but it wasn't IBM and that patent had been
issued for a hardware device. I think that it was Texas Instruments that
was the victim that lost for violating the patent for having an XOR cursor
in a hardware device. And I think that it was AutoCAD that was the victim
that lost for violating the patent for using software to create an XOR
cursor effect. After those two wins by the patent holder, everybody else
fell in line and anted up.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C
3134 Niles Rd  Suite D
St Joseph  MI  49085
(616)556-9600 Fax: 556-9950

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
>This sounds ridiculous to me. May be the new best way to get rich
>quick is trying to get patents for loop,  conditional branching
>(if-else-endif), etc. ...:-(

Too late.  I've patented sequential instructions.

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> > [SNIP XOR patent]

> [SNIP correction regarding said patent]

Thanks for the correction David.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

> > This is the problem isn't it? I don't know when the patent was awarded,
> > I got the impression it was awarded recently, but it seems clear that it
> > should never have been awarded due to the fact that it was already a
> > common technique.

> if the application (and award) post-dates the release of clipper 5.0, maybe
> C.A. should apply for the patent, they might start to take an interest in
> clipper, if it proves to generate some revenue again  <grin>...

The humour is noted but, to be slightly serious, this kind of demonstrates
just how amazing it is that this was ever awarded in the first place. By
rights it shouldn't/couldn't be awarded to CA because (for example) Common
Lisp is prior art. _Common Lisp the Language_, the document that specifies
the language, includes support for date windowing in the functions that turn
strings into date values.

This information is carried forward to CLtL2 and then into the ANSI
specification. I can't recall exact dates off the top of my head but this
dates from the 80s.

I'd bet good money on the fact that something demonstrates prior art before
CLtL.

But, yeah, perhaps CA could get some "cool points" with the software
development community and challenge the patent. ;-)

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
> But, yeah, perhaps CA could get some "cool points" with the software
> development community and challenge the patent. ;-)

As has been mentioned earlier, most companies might just pay the licence
fee, as it would be cheaper than fighting a lawsuit...

an exception to this _might_ be Microsoft, i'd pity the poor soul who tried
to fleece microsoft over this...

gerard

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
*  The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!   *

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
> an exception to this _might_ be Microsoft, i'd pity the poor soul who
> tried to fleece microsoft over this...

That's a good one, doesn't Access do some form of windowing?

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:

>> an exception to this _might_ be Microsoft, i'd pity the poor soul who
>> tried to fleece microsoft over this...

>That's a good one, doesn't Access do some form of windowing?

I think it does but so does win98 check regional settings date tab!
--
David C.M. Llewellyn
Elmtree Technics Computer Consultancy

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 The cost of using SET EPOCH

Quote:
> That's a good one, doesn't Access do some form of windowing?

as does Excell....

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
*  The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!   *

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. SET EPOCH