File Lock Problem with NT Server and Clipper 5.2e
Author Message
 File Lock Problem with NT Server and Clipper 5.2e

We are running a data entry system with approximately 60 concurrent
users running a mix of DOS 6.22 and Windows 95.  The system ran fine
under Netware 4.11 for several years.  Now under Windows NT 4.0 Server
with ServPack 3 we are having a file sharing problem.  One of the dbf
files keeps getting a file lock that is never released.  This causes all
user running the data entry application to lock up until the offender is
rebooted and the lock released.  However the data entry application has
no explicit file locks in the source code.  There are some record level
locks but even these are rarely used by the software.  Has anyone had
any similar problems or know any possible solutions?  If so please email

-Thanks!

Tue, 30 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 File Lock Problem with NT Server and Clipper 5.2e

Quote:

>We are running a data entry system with approximately 60 concurrent
>users running a mix of DOS 6.22 and Windows 95.  The system ran fine
>under Netware 4.11 for several years.  Now under Windows NT 4.0 Server
>with ServPack 3 we are having a file sharing problem.  One of the dbf
>files keeps getting a file lock that is never released.  This causes all
>user running the data entry application to lock up until the offender is
>rebooted and the lock released.  However the data entry application has
>no explicit file locks in the source code.  There are some record level
>locks but even these are rarely used by the software.  Has anyone had
>any similar problems or know any possible solutions?

When you write to a file, the index is file locked for a moment. This
is inherent in the design.

Have you applied the locking error patch for Windows '95? If not, it
is available on my www site in the patch area.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

                     NO PARKING!
                      Violators
                   will be Crushed
                     and Melted.

Wed, 31 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper on NT-server (Record lock problems)

2. Clipper 5.2e Locking up NT Workstation (Help wanted)

3. Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

4. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server running clipper 5.2e

5. Problems with Clipper 5.1 and NT File Server

6. Clipper op NT-server (Locking problemen)

7. locked files/held records in NT Server

8. Timeslice problems with the good Clipper 5.2e and (Windoof NT 3.51) Citrix Winframe 1.7

9. Clipper and NT : To everyone who is having corruption, locking and other network problems

10. NT 4.0 and TPS file locking problem

11. Files locking problem under Win NT

12. DBFCDX locking VO1.0d vs Clipper 5.2e