Running one EXE from another EXE
Author Message
 Running one EXE from another EXE

Clipper 5.2e

Is there a simple method to run one EXE which calls another EXE, where
the original EXE is closed,

Basicaly chaining to the next EXE.

Dave.
:-{)}

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:57:47 GMT
 Running one EXE from another EXE

Quote:
>Clipper 5.2e

>Is there a simple method to run one EXE which calls another EXE, where
>the original EXE is closed,

>Basicaly chaining to the next EXE.

>Dave.

Hi Dave,

"Closed"?   how about a batch file?

firstapp.exe
nextapp.exe

...or am I missing something by misunderstanding your "original EXE is
closed" statement?

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:07:08 GMT
 Running one EXE from another EXE

<snip>

Quote:
>"Closed"?   how about a batch file?

>firstapp.exe nextapp.exe

>...or am I missing something by misunderstanding your "original EXE
>is closed" statement?

i think he means something like using a clipper exe as a shell-program
that starts other clipper programs. the problem would be memory
overhead, i wouldn't like to run huge exospaced apps from huge
exospaced apps with "RUN" or "!". otoh, this may not be a problem with
the blinker swapcmd() function, but i never used it. anybody?

--
Jules Alberts

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:44:16 GMT
 Running one EXE from another EXE

Quote:

><snip>
>>"Closed"?   how about a batch file?

>>firstapp.exe nextapp.exe

>>...or am I missing something by misunderstanding your "original EXE
>>is closed" statement?

>i think he means something like using a clipper exe as a shell-program
>that starts other clipper programs. the problem would be memory
>overhead, i wouldn't like to run huge exospaced apps from huge
>exospaced apps with "RUN" or "!". otoh, this may not be a problem with
>the blinker swapcmd() function, but i never used it. anybody?

Hi Jules,

Yes I wondered about that interpretation also before replying...but he
speaks of the first .exe being closed. I understand that to be
finished/quit/gone...etc. Maybe just a language problem. Tha's why I
suggested a simple batch file soln.

I use Blinker's SwpRunCmd myself without any major problem.

Regards,

Ross

>--
>Jules Alberts

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:41:08 GMT
 Running one EXE from another EXE

says...

Quote:

> ><snip>
> >>"Closed"?   how about a batch file?

> >>firstapp.exe nextapp.exe

> >>...or am I missing something by misunderstanding your "original EXE
> >>is closed" statement?

> >i think he means something like using a clipper exe as a shell-program
> >that starts other clipper programs. the problem would be memory
> >overhead, i wouldn't like to run huge exospaced apps from huge
> >exospaced apps with "RUN" or "!". otoh, this may not be a problem with
> >the blinker swapcmd() function, but i never used it. anybody?

> Hi Jules,

> Yes I wondered about that interpretation also before replying...but he
> speaks of the first .exe being closed. I understand that to be
> finished/quit/gone...etc. Maybe just a language problem. Tha's why I
> suggested a simple batch file soln.

> I use Blinker's SwpRunCmd myself without any major problem.

> Regards,

> Ross

> >--
> >Jules Alberts

Apologies for not responding sooner.

I have various EXEs which require to be RUN from a Main Menu Program.

EXE-1 can call EXE-2,EXE-3,EXE-4 and so on.

However I do not want to use SwpRunCmd or batch files, as there is no
specific order in which the EXEs can be called.

We are currently using a legacy program call DBCHAIN5 but there are
memory overheads associated with this program, and it is this problem I
am trying to solve.

--
Dave

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:08:21 GMT
 Running one EXE from another EXE

i have a client with some non-Y2K compatible clipper code.  a simple
SET CENTURY and SET EPOCH would set it straight.  but to recompile
the code i need the Zachary libs and zac.ch

the original code was completed in december 1995.

if you have a copy of this old 3rd party lib (docs would be great,
but not essential) -- my client will pay you well for it.

please email me if you think you have what we are searching for.

(FWIW, i know the current Hamilton AD2 toolkit includes Zachary 2.5
and is an option -- but it would require additional recoding that
i'd rather not do, and the client would rather not pay for.
(typical)  eventually the client firm does want me to rewrite the
app in SQL/C++  but in the short term they need this quick fix.

(and yeah, i miss too clipper.  clean, fast, to the point.  it
served me well.  GUI's suck - but starvation is worse.

any help would be much appreciated.  thanks for your time.

        michael mulholland

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterwards." -Vernon Law

"First I'm going to{*filter*}like a racehorse, then I'm gonna dance like
a black woman" -Kim Deal of The Pixies, when asked what she intended
to do after that night's concert.

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:02:16 GMT

1. running a second *.exe while one *.exe is running using Lahey fortran

2. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

3. ntvdm.exe - Application Error when running C55EE.exe

4. Running external EXE from Clipper exe.module

5. running exe from another exe

6. running EXE from within EXE in DOS

7. Application Mutex -One instance of EXE should be running

8. 32-Bit NMAKE.EXE, LINK.EXE, LIB.EXE, & RC.EXE

9. cscn.exe and cvvt.exe

10. ABC Exe Called From Clarion Exe

11. Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b

12. close exe form another exe