File Delete does not work in W2000
Author Message
 File Delete does not work in W2000

I cannot make 'file delete' work in Clipper 5.2e with Windows 2000, it does
not delete the file. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Andy

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:57:30 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000

Quote:
> I cannot make 'file delete' work in Clipper 5.2e with Windows 2000, it
> does not delete the file. Does anyone have a solution to this?

There is no "FILE DELETE" command in Clipper 5.2e, at least, not that I can
see. Perhaps you meant the "DELETE FILE" command?

Have you checked what the value of FERROR() is after you attempt the
deletion and it fails? What is it?

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:10:49 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000
Sorry, yes, DELETE FILE.

There is no error, it goes through the motions and does not delete the file.
The file is on an NT Server and I was wondering if it was a rights issue.
Although from a W2000 dos box the file deletes no problem.

The same user with W98 could delete the file from the clipper app. The
problem occured after upgrading his workstation to W2000.

Thanks.

Andy

Quote:

>> I cannot make 'file delete' work in Clipper 5.2e with Windows 2000, it
>> does not delete the file. Does anyone have a solution to this?

>There is no "FILE DELETE" command in Clipper 5.2e, at least, not that I can
>see. Perhaps you meant the "DELETE FILE" command?

>Have you checked what the value of FERROR() is after you attempt the
>deletion and it fails? What is it?

>--
>Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
>http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for
Linux.
>http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
>http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:56:15 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000

Quote:

> [SNIP]
> > The same user with W98 could delete the file from the clipper app. The
> > problem occured after upgrading his workstation to W2000.
> [SNIP]

> You need to apply all the latest SPs for sure...

By for sure I meant: it is the usual thing with NT and Clipper.

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:12:43 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000
[SNIP]
Quote:
> The same user with W98 could delete the file from the clipper app. The
> problem occured after upgrading his workstation to W2000.

[SNIP]

You need to apply all the latest SPs for sure...

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:12:12 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000

Quote:

>Sorry, yes, DELETE FILE.

>There is no error, it goes through the motions and does not delete the file.
>The file is on an NT Server and I was wondering if it was a rights issue.
>Although from a W2000 dos box the file deletes no problem.

>The same user with W98 could delete the file from the clipper app. The
>problem occured after upgrading his workstation to W2000.

>Thanks.

>Andy

Apparently DELETE FILE does not always raise an error.  See the example in
the Norton Guide.  I prefer to use FERASE() and related functions, because
they return a value.

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:19:41 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000
[Quotes rearranged to have a more logical flow]

Quote:

> >Have you checked what the value of FERROR() is after you attempt the
> >deletion and it fails? What is it?

> There is no error, it goes through the motions and does not delete the
> file. The file is on an NT Server and I was wondering if it was a rights
> issue. Although from a W2000 dos box the file deletes no problem.

Just to be totally clear, when you say there is no error do you mean that no
error is generated by the error system (there shouldn't be) or are you
saying that you've tested the return value of FERROR() and it comes back as
0?

If it's a rights issue I'd have expected FERROR() to return something along
the lines of error 5.

IOW, what's the output of this little program:

,----
| Erase File badfile.txt
| ? ferror()
`----

where "badfile.txt" is the file you're unable to delete?

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:19:35 GMT
 File Delete does not work in W2000

Quote:
> ,----
> | Erase File badfile.txt
> | ? ferror()
> `----

That should, of course, have read:

,----
| Delete File badfile.txt
| ? ferror()
`----

or:

,----
`----

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:07:38 GMT

1. Copy filename lpt1 not working under W2000

2. Insert, change, delete with toolbar does not work

3. mail.delete not working

4. DELETE not working

5. problem sythesizing vhdl file/ucf file not working

6. VC++ obj file link to asm obj file with alink(not working)

7. Deleted procs not deleted???

8. delete or not to delete

9. Why can I not delete my test file?

10. How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO

11. Temporary files not getting deleted (or created!)

12. IBM XLF Fortran does not delete files correctly