*.ms & *.ks
Author Message
 *.ms & *.ks

Hi,
I have two data files from a client using an old inventory system of unknown
origin. The file extensions are MS and KS. KS I take it is the index file
(key sequence) and MS the data file. Has anyone heard of these, if so is
there a utility I can use to export the data.
Thanks, bye for now.
Greg

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 *.ms & *.ks
Greg

http://www.wotsit.org may have the formats for your files.

Have you looked at them with a hex editor??

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 *.ms & *.ks
Congrats!  You have an antique database known as ODBS or O'Hanlon Database
Solution, circa 1984.  The .MS file is the datafile consisiting of fixed record
lengths in multiples of 128 bytes.  Each record begins with a single byte, which
when equal to chr(4) indicates a deleted record.  The .KS file is, in fact, the
key sequence.

Your best bet is to convert the .MS file into fixed length text records (there
is a data dictionary in RECFLE.MS and FLDFLE.MS) and append them into a .dbf
file.  Oh the date format is a julian date which you can convert by the
following formula:

FUNCTION UnODBS(lDate)
****
*
* convert an ODBS date string into a CLIPPER date field
*
****
LOCAL lRetVal := CTOD('')
   // Assume that if the ODBS date is less than 723181 (1/1/1980), it is a post
1/1/2000 date.
   // If it is a post y2000 date, subtract 693962 (1/1/1900).
   DO CASE
      CASE lDate == 0
      CASE lDate < 723181
           lRetVal := CTOD('01/01/2000') + (lDate - 693962)
           IF lRetVal == CTOD('02/29/2000')
              lRetVal += 1
           ENDIF
      OTHERWISE
           lRetVal := CTOD('01/01/1990') + (lDate - 726834)
   ENDCASE
RETURN (lRetVal)

Quote:

> Hi,
> I have two data files from a client using an old inventory system of unknown
> origin. The file extensions are MS and KS. KS I take it is the index file
> (key sequence) and MS the data file. Has anyone heard of these, if so is
> there a utility I can use to export the data.
> Thanks, bye for now.
> Greg

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. KS&P, chapter 3, part 2.

2. Compatibility of MS Fortran & MS VC 6.0

3. TCL2C && MS VC++ && TCL8.0.3plus

4. problems porting ms inline assembly codes to linux (gnu - AT&T syntax)

5. Drag & Drop from MS-Windows

6. C55 & MS. Exchange

7. CW4 (CLA) & MS Access 7

8. MS SQL & Clarion

9. Conversion of MS COBOL - Thanks & Feedback

10. CW55PE & MS Access

11. Clarion, Win2k Server networks & MS Access

12. Crystal Report & MS-SQL