"Funny" characters
Author Message
 "Funny" characters

Quote:
> > > I am in the US and we have several NT 4.0 servers in UK.  On one server, we
> > > are getting garbage characters in our DBF files when the files did not
> > > contain such characters on the preceding day.

Sorry don't see original message on my newsserver, replying here...
Which mode do you use in your apps - protected or real ?
If real, check the amount of free conventional memory before running
your app.
In 1991 I had the same problem (with Clipper'87). When we had not enough
conventional memory (1Mb RAM, so expanded didn't exist), the application
started OK, but after half an hour of working the user saw garbage on
the
screen (and sometimes inside DBFs). We increased the amount of free
conventional memory by removing some TSRs in one copy of Autoexec.bat
and the user started this Autoexec when he needed his Clipper app.
The problem went away.
--
HTH a bit, Vladimir ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Funny" characters

Quote:
> Thanks, but we are in protected mode.  I suppose that doesn't
> necessarily preclude a memory problem.
Agree.
> Was the garbage in the DBFs in records
> that had not been intentionally accessed?

The garbage was usually in the middle of the file. And I forgot
to mention that the size of thid garbage was always about (n*1024)
bytes.
DBFs was on local drive. I thought that some random cluster was written
inside DBF. Why - I don't know. But when I used Clipper'87 and my
customers
had no network, I often detected lost clusters on their HDDs caused by
Clipper
(no other apps were used, so it really was Clipper).
I think these two problems are relevant, but the exact reason is unknown
to me.
After switching to Netware with no local DBFs and Clipper 5.01
these problems went away.
--
Regards, Vladimir (http://i.am/kzm)

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. '"""' and linefeed characters

2. In the "Menu" window (funny)

3. The "funny sumbols" FAQ

4. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. Characters "?", "?", "ΓΌ" shown in wrong font

6. The "LAMP" character

7. VW and "foreign" characters

8. "hexadecimal characters" in ST.

9. files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"