CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003
Author Message
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Thanks for the reply,

I disabled the CPU cache and ran the utility, but still got the same
error.

The utility CVT.EXE was released by Microsoft to beta testers of Memphis
(Win98), to convert drives from FAT16 to FAT 32, so I of course do not
have the source code (and would not have the knowledge or resources to
recompile it if I did, alas).

Bruce

Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

>I am Running a P200 MMX, WIN95 OSR2.1

>I am trying to convert my 3.2Gig HD to FAT 32, using CVT.EXE. I get the
>following error message:

>Run-time error 6003
>- integer divide by 0 FAT to 32-bit FAT Converter

>This happens at exactly the 100% mark of the "Recovering Unused Clusters"
>portion of CVT.

>I did a search for "Error 6003" in DejaNews, and found the following in
>comp.lang.clipper:

> 6003     Integer divide by 0
>This error has occurred on "fast" machines with 200MHz MMX Intel processors,
>AMD and Cyrix processors, and/or 100Mbit network cards. Error 6001 may also
>occur. The error is due to timing loops running too quickly.
>Action: Get the patch at "The Oasis" (http://www.iag.net/~philb/). The file
>you need is ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper/patch/r6003fix.zip

>I am using an Intel 200MHz MMX machine. I downloaded the patch, which is an
>.OBJ file, not much use to me to solve this problem.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated to solve this problem.

You need the source code to use the patch.

If you don't have the source code, you might be able to disable the
CPU cache long enough to get the conversion done, then enable it after
the conversion is finished.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

             Always remember you are unique...
               Just like everyone else!

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:
>Thanks for the reply,

>I disabled the CPU cache and ran the utility, but still got the same
>error.

>The utility CVT.EXE was released by Microsoft to beta testers of Memphis
>(Win98), to convert drives from FAT16 to FAT 32, so I of course do not
>have the source code (and would not have the knowledge or resources to
>recompile it if I did, alas).

This is not a Clipper program, nor a Clipper problem. It is a
coincidence that the errors are 6003. In other words, you are the
victim of a wild goose chase.

You'll need to contact Microsoft on this one. The reference you found
on dejanews refers to the R6003 error, a Runtime error for Clipper
executables.

While Clipper is one great language, I rather doubt that Bill Gates
used a DOS based Computer Associates owned compiler to create the
Windows 98 FAT32 conversion utility.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

             Always remember you are unique...
               Just like everyone else!

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

> >Thanks for the reply,

> >I disabled the CPU cache and ran the utility, but still got the same
> >error.

> >The utility CVT.EXE was released by Microsoft to beta testers of Memphis
> >(Win98), to convert drives from FAT16 to FAT 32, so I of course do not
> >have the source code (and would not have the knowledge or resources to
> >recompile it if I did, alas).

> This is not a Clipper program, nor a Clipper problem. It is a
> coincidence that the errors are 6003. In other words, you are the
> victim of a wild goose chase.

Not exactly a coincidence, Phil - at least if I'm right that
Clipper was compiled using MS C.  All such apps will probably
link in some error handling from the (MS) r/t library, so are
likely to show the same messages.  I just grabbed an EXE at
random here and found the following right at the end:

  R6000 - stack overflow
  R6003 - integer divide by 0
  R6009 - not enough space for environment
  R6002 - floating point not loaded
  R6001 - null pointer assignment

(There is other stuff of course, but all this seems to be in
the last 200 or so bytes.)

Quote:
> You'll need to contact Microsoft on this one. The reference you found
> on dejanews refers to the R6003 error, a Runtime error for Clipper
> executables.

> While Clipper is one great language, I rather doubt that Bill Gates
> used a DOS based Computer Associates owned compiler to create the
> Windows 98 FAT32 conversion utility.

I'll wager he used MS C/C++ and/or MASM and his own r/t libs
though :-)

But the advice is spot on - this is a problem that should be
pointed at Microsoft.  I'd be very surprised if they are not
aware of the problem and could not offer a fixed CVT.EXE -
after all R6003 crops up almost daily in this little newsgrp
and I suspect the MS user base is a bit bigger!

Trust that you [Phil] and the Oasis survived George OK...
--
Pete
        "We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

> This is not a Clipper program, nor a Clipper problem. It is a coincidence
> that the errors are 6003. In other words, you are the victim of a wild
> goose chase.

Actually, it won't be a coincidence, both programs (CVT and Clipper) are
probably written using the same breed of C compiler (MSC) and so any given
Clipper compiled application will include portions of a similar incarnation
of the C RTL to that which CVT will have been linked against.

However, this doesn't detract from the fact that any Clipper oriented
solution won't aid the poster.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:
>Trust that you [Phil] and the Oasis survived George OK...

Almost nothing here. Just a few bands of tropical rain.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

             Always remember you are unique...
               Just like everyone else!

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

>I am Running a P200 MMX, WIN95 OSR2.1

>I am trying to convert my 3.2Gig HD to FAT 32, using CVT.EXE. I get the
>following error message:

>Run-time error 6003
>- integer divide by 0 FAT to 32-bit FAT Converter

>This happens at exactly the 100% mark of the "Recovering Unused Clusters"
>portion of CVT.

>I did a search for "Error 6003" in DejaNews, and found the following in
>comp.lang.clipper:

> 6003     Integer divide by 0
>This error has occurred on "fast" machines with 200MHz MMX Intel processors,
>AMD and Cyrix processors, and/or 100Mbit network cards. Error 6001 may also
>occur. The error is due to timing loops running too quickly.
>Action: Get the patch at "The Oasis" (http://www.iag.net/~philb/). The file
>you need is ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper/patch/r6003fix.zip

>I am using an Intel 200MHz MMX machine. I downloaded the patch, which is an
>.OBJ file, not much use to me to solve this problem.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated to solve this problem.

Beta software is just that - beta.  I'm surprised you're even
bothering to try to fix beta stuff if you're not the author.

You may find the release version of CVT in Win98 will work, but have
you considered using a proper utility? You should check out Partion
Magic from http://www.powerquest.com  It's a "must have" utility for
me which is totally reliable & will not only conver to/from FAT32, but
re-size, hide & move partions too.  While you're there, I'd also
strongly recommend getting Drive Image 2 which allows you to take
complete snapshot backups of whole partions to disk, Zip & SyQuest
drives.  I backup my 1.7Mb PC to my server in 14 mins & I can restore
individual files or the whole image as quickly.

HTH
--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

>>Thanks for the reply,

>>I disabled the CPU cache and ran the utility, but still got the same
>>error.

>>The utility CVT.EXE was released by Microsoft to beta testers of Memphis
>>(Win98), to convert drives from FAT16 to FAT 32, so I of course do not
>>have the source code (and would not have the knowledge or resources to
>>recompile it if I did, alas).

>This is not a Clipper program, nor a Clipper problem. It is a
>coincidence that the errors are 6003. In other words, you are the
>victim of a wild goose chase.

>You'll need to contact Microsoft on this one. The reference you found
>on dejanews refers to the R6003 error, a Runtime error for Clipper
>executables.

>While Clipper is one great language, I rather doubt that Bill Gates
>used a DOS based Computer Associates owned compiler to create the
>Windows 98 FAT32 conversion utility.

It's the other way round, isn't it Phil? Clipper S87 thru 5.2e used
the Microsoft C (v5.1) compiler runtime library.  Evidently Mr Gate's
boys also used it to write the CVT utility - that's why they share the
problem.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

> > This is not a Clipper program, nor a Clipper problem. It is a coincidence
> > that the errors are 6003. In other words, you are the victim of a wild
> > goose chase.

> Actually, it won't be a coincidence, both programs (CVT and Clipper) are
> probably written using the same breed of C compiler (MSC) and so any given
> Clipper compiled application will include portions of a similar incarnation
> of the C RTL to that which CVT will have been linked against.

> However, this doesn't detract from the fact that any Clipper oriented
> solution won't aid the poster.

(I am the original poster of this thread)

Thanks for the input on this problem. The problematic utility CVT.EXE
was part of a beta release of Memphis (WIN98), used to convert hard
drives to FAT32, that has been since circulated around the internet; as
this functionality is now incorporated into WIN98, I doubt that
Microsoft are going to be too concerned about fixing the problem, so I
guess there is not much a lowly end-user like myself can do about it.
Luckily, the crash did not affect my data.

Bruce

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:
> Beta software is just that - beta.  I'm surprised you're even
> bothering to try to fix beta stuff if you're not the author.

I'm not trying to "fix" it  - I'm trying to use the utility! It just
happened that the only place I found references to the error I was
getting were in COMP.LANG.CLIPPER. I am not a programmer, only a humble
end-user. I was trying to use the CVT.EXE utility to convert my
harddrive from FAT16 to FAT32, and ran into this error.

Quote:
> You may find the release version of CVT in Win98 will work, but have
> you considered using a proper utility? You should check out Partion
> Magic from http://www.powerquest.com  It's a "must have" utility for
> me which is totally reliable & will not only conver to/from FAT32, but
> re-size, hide & move partions too.  While you're there, I'd also
> strongly recommend getting Drive Image 2 which allows you to take
> complete snapshot backups of whole partions to disk, Zip & SyQuest
> drives.  I backup my 1.7Mb PC to my server in 14 mins & I can restore
> individual files or the whole image as quickly.

I have used Presizer, a freeware utility, with great success in resizing
partitions, so didn't feel the need to buy Partition Magic. I am sure
that the Partition Magic FAT32 conversion utility is solid as well. I
was just looking around to see if there was a version of CVT.EXE that
would work on my machine.

Then again, it will not be the end of the world if I can't convert my
drive to FAT32.

Bruce

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

Quote:

>Thanks for the input on this problem. The problematic utility CVT.EXE
>was part of a beta release of Memphis (WIN98), used to convert hard
>drives to FAT32, that has been since circulated around the internet; as

You might want to use PQmagic (www.powerquest.com) to convert your drive to
fat32 - theri fat32 converter has been on the market for at least two years
and its disk partioning features are second to none so it wouldn't be a
wasted investment. If that produces the same problme at least you would have
a chance of getting help from their Technical Support.

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003
There is a program named PQ Magic and i tried to convert FAT - and it worked
good.

Alex.

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. run time error 6003 exist TSR?

2. Run-time error 6003

3. Run Time Error 6003

4. run time error 6003

5. Run-time Error 6003

6. Run time error 6003 - URGENT

7. Run-time 6003 with Win95 B

8. what ist runtime error 6003

9. error runtime 6003 on windows 98

10. Problem Clipper 5.x under NT causing RUNTIME error 6003 Divide by zero

11. Runtime Error 6003

12. Runtime Error 6003 under AMD-K6-233 machine