Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
Author Message
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application

Hi there,

I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large quantities
of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me to some recources
on communicating with clipper?

ThanX a lot!

Pal.

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:09:10 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application

Quote:
>Hi there,

>I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large
>quantities of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me
>to some recources on communicating with clipper?

>ThanX a lot!

>Pal.

You shouldn't look at a way to communicate with Clipper (which is the
language and the executable, it doesn't contain data), but at in which
files the Clipper executable stores it's data. This will most likely
be some sort of DBF file format (also watch out for memofiles: DBT,
FPT). Google will probably show you a lot of export programs to go
from DBF to something else. BTW: what is this "something else"?

--
Jules Alberts
[the email address is for spambots only]

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:33:55 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
Hi thanX for your anwser...

The something else will be an oracle database, but since the clipper app is
only one of the sources we will probably be using MS SQL server's DTS as
intermediate. (wow, we've got the both sides running in one project...)

Grtz,

Pal.

Quote:

> >Hi there,

> >I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large
> >quantities of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me
> >to some recources on communicating with clipper?

> >ThanX a lot!

> >Pal.

> You shouldn't look at a way to communicate with Clipper (which is the
> language and the executable, it doesn't contain data), but at in which
> files the Clipper executable stores it's data. This will most likely
> be some sort of DBF file format (also watch out for memofiles: DBT,
> FPT). Google will probably show you a lot of export programs to go
> from DBF to something else. BTW: what is this "something else"?

> --
> Jules Alberts
> [the email address is for spambots only]

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:23:52 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
You'll find that the Clipper files are either dBase III compatible or FoxPro
2.5 compatible as a general rule. There are some other proprietary
variations. What are the data file extensions? Should be some ending in "F"
like DBF (database), maybe some in "T" like DBT, SMT or FPT (memo file) and
maybe some ending in "X", like CDX, NTX, or NSX (indexes). You may also have
some ending in .MEM (memory variables stored in a disk file).

Ray

Quote:
> > >I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large
> > >quantities of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me
> > >to some recources on communicating with clipper?

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:13:18 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
Hi,

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:09:10 +0200, "Palloquin"

Quote:

>I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large quantities
>of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me to some recources
>on communicating with clipper?

Is this for a 'once off' situation (hack), or do you want to import
from the .dbf files to Oracle regularly. The products for your
solution will be entirely different, most likely.

Peter

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:28:07 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
I don't quite understand your question but you can use Microsoft Excel to
either import data from Clipper into a worksheet and then save using
whichever file format most suits you or you can save data from Excel in DBF
format which can be read by Clipper.
Your choice...
ST

Quote:
> Hi there,

> I'm looking at a project for which I would need to import large quantities
> of data from a clipper application. Can anybody point me to some recources
> on communicating with clipper?

> ThanX a lot!

> Pal.

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:44:30 GMT
 Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application
Hi,

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:23:52 +0200, "Palloquin"

Quote:

>The something else will be an oracle database, but since the clipper app is
>only one of the sources we will probably be using MS SQL server's DTS as
>intermediate. (wow, we've got the both sides running in one project...)

Try the following url:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=import+...

which got 35 hits.

One of those was:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Re: ***** A fundemantel question* How to import a .dbf file
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server
View this article only
Date: 2000-09-08 00:28:57 PST

for more detail how to import the data.
1. You can connect your 'Xbase' (DBaseII, foxpro, parados,....) to MS
access
by link tables.
2. create tables in Oracle ('same' structure of your xbase tables).
3. using ODBC link Oracle tables to your MS access table (new link
tables)
4. using ms access append queris to append link xbase tables to oracle
link
tables.
5. run those queries

it shouldn't be difficulty.

good luck!
Quinn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would be surprised if you _couldn't_ import your (Clipper) dbase
files into any of the most common databases.

Peter

Mon, 03 Jan 2005 09:41:31 GMT

1. Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

2. german Clipper / Xbase book for newbee

3. Newbee: missing clipper v5.01 disk2

4. need a clipper expert for application migration project

5. Forms Designer, RAD or CASE Tool Need for Clipper prefer Clipper S87

6. Need CLIPPER 5.x (DOS) programmer for maintaining Clipper programs

7. Clipper programmer needs help - Have outgrown Clipper 5x variable length

8. Clipper Expert (S'87 - Clipper 5.3) needed in Atlanta area

9. New Clipper...Clipper...Clipper Search Engine

10. Clipper...Clipper...Clipper - Search Engine

11. Clipper...Clipper...Clipper

12. Clipper...Clipper...Clipper