Clipper 5.2e apps and Win 3.11 / Win95
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2e apps and Win 3.11 / Win95

I have 2 mission crit apps that are creating problems at the moment, under
windows.

First

One app has been running on a novell network for years, fault free. The
client upgraded to Win 3.11 (on Novell network), still no problem.
Since they have upgraded to Win95 (35 workstations with all three ver's of
W95!) using Netware Client 32, I have found sporadic corruption problems
etc. This app is really mission critical and will take a while to rewrite
in Windows, so I need to know if there are any tricks etc when running
Clipper dos apps under W95 and NWClient32!!!

Two

Another Clipper 5.2 app, has been fine on a small network for 5 years,
using personal netware. The client then upgraded to Win3.11 (why not W95? -
the clients consultants told them it was too advanced for their needs and
that they only required 3.11!! - I have since found out that the real
reason is that W95 is too advanced for themselves! in fact W311 is beyond
their capabilities aswell). Anyway, since throwing out personal netware and
using Windows networking, they are having all sorts of trouble with my app.
Extended dos errors, network errors, data corruption etc. Errors such as
"error writing network device", "error reading overlay file" dos errors in
th 20's range etc.
The only thing I thought we had to ensure was that the executables were
flagged read only attribute!

Can anyone advise! Is there some netbuie support that has to linked int to
the .exe?

Thanks in advance

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e apps and Win 3.11 / Win95

In article , "Mick says...

Quote:

>I have 2 mission crit apps that are creating problems at the moment, under
>windows.

>First

>One app has been running on a novell network for years, fault free. The
>client upgraded to Win 3.11 (on Novell network), still no problem.
>Since they have upgraded to Win95 (35 workstations with all three ver's of
>W95!) using Netware Client 32, I have found sporadic corruption problems
>etc. This app is really mission critical and will take a while to rewrite
>in Windows, so I need to know if there are any tricks etc when running
>Clipper dos apps under W95 and NWClient32!!!

>Two

>Another Clipper 5.2 app, has been fine on a small network for 5 years,
>using personal netware. The client then upgraded to Win3.11 (why not W95? -
>the clients consultants told them it was too advanced for their needs and
>that they only required 3.11!! - I have since found out that the real
>reason is that W95 is too advanced for themselves! in fact W311 is beyond
>their capabilities aswell). Anyway, since throwing out personal netware and
>using Windows networking, they are having all sorts of trouble with my app.
>Extended dos errors, network errors, data corruption etc. Errors such as
>"error writing network device", "error reading overlay file" dos errors in
>th 20's range etc.
>The only thing I thought we had to ensure was that the executables were
>flagged read only attribute!

>Can anyone advise! Is there some netbuie support that has to linked int to
>the .exe?

>Thanks in advance

You don't tell us much about your app.  What linker are you using? What errors
are you getting on W95? What 3rd party libraries are you linking in? What RDD
and its version?

Under Win 3.11, in the Control Panel area where you can allocate swap space,
there are a couple of switches for 32-bit file handling.  Clipper, especially if
linked with Exospace, often has problems with one of those on, I can't recall
which.

Richard Mitchell

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CPD 2.1 App on Novell 3.11 fails with Win '95

2. WFW 3.11 won't run CW 2.0 APP

3. Max Open Files on : Win95 - Novell 3.11 - Clipper

4. Clipper debugger 5.2e won't work with Win95

5. Help: Clipper network behavior with WIN WG 3.11

6. migration of 5.2 clipper app from netware 3.11 to netware 5

7. Clipper Apps under WFW 3.11

8. Windows 3.11 running Clipper 87 app

9. Win 3.11 vs Win 95 (For Arnor)

10. Clarion 2.1 / Win95 / Netware 3.11 ?

11. awk for win 3.11?

12. Running a CW 32bit program on Win 3.11