Read VFP data files into Clipper data files
Author Message
 Read VFP data files into Clipper data files

Hi all,

I have a client that wants to use my clipper app.  They have existing data
from a Visual FoxPro app.  I would like to be able to read their VFP data
files (one time only) and load the data into my apps data tables.  I don't
have VFP and I want to know if there is any problem reading data from VFP
into a clipper dbf file.  Is there any problem if the VFP file has memo or
date fields?  Are there any data types that do not copy over into a clipper
dbf file.

I am using 5.2e with dbfntx

I do not know what version of VFP was used to build the existing app and I
probably cannot find out since it is a competitor's app.  It is probably the
most recent version or one version back.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Bill

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:28:25 GMT
 Read VFP data files into Clipper data files
You will need to get into VFP and do a copy to xxx type fox2x.

It is possible the dbf files can be read directly if the developer used
"Fox2x" format.  VFP can use the old format but will create new tables in an
unreadable format unless told otherwise.

If it is a one time effort, you can but a $100 copy of VFP and do the copy
to.  The developers edition with a compiler is a little more expensive.

And there are data type in VFP that are not supported by Clipper.   They
have a DateTime field type and some others.

Mike Murch

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a client that wants to use my clipper app.  They have existing data
> from a Visual FoxPro app.  I would like to be able to read their VFP data
> files (one time only) and load the data into my apps data tables.  I don't
> have VFP and I want to know if there is any problem reading data from VFP
> into a clipper dbf file.  Is there any problem if the VFP file has memo or
> date fields?  Are there any data types that do not copy over into a
clipper
> dbf file.

> I am using 5.2e with dbfntx

> I do not know what version of VFP was used to build the existing app and I
> probably cannot find out since it is a competitor's app.  It is probably
the
> most recent version or one version back.

> Thanks for your help.
> Regards,
> Bill

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:37:37 GMT
 Read VFP data files into Clipper data files
Mike and Pete
Thank you both for your very helpful posts.  Have a great day.
Regards
Bill

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:21:31 GMT
 Read VFP data files into Clipper data files
Mike,

Quote:
> You will need to get into VFP and do a copy to xxx type fox2x.

This will result in a DBF/FPT pair, unreadable by DBFNTX. Bill will
need the DBFCDX RDD to open it.

HTH,

--
Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:04:42 GMT

1. Reading a data file from a very remote data

2. help reading negative values in data file - test code and test data

3. I have 100 data files, I want to join them together as one data file

4. Unix Data files vs DOS data files

5. non-gridded ASCII data file to netCDF data file

6. Wanted: C functions, w/src, to read Clipper (dBASEII) data base files

7. Reading a binary file / writing binary data to a file

8. Open VFP 5.0 files using Clipper

9. Ms SQL fileerror 22001=String data, right truncation when I fill data into file

10. Using file data transparently as internal data?

11. How to recup data with Access or Excel from Cobol Data with *.ISM and *.IDX file

12. Extracting data from COBOL data files