Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32
Author Message
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

------=_NextPart_000_01BCC086.88EB3D80

Hi !!
Does someone now where i can get a driver to use clipper NTX files via
ODBC32.

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!

Thank You in Advance .

Mirko

------=_NextPart_000_01BCC086.88EB3D80

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Hi !!<br>Does someone now where i can =
get a driver to use clipper NTX files via ODBC32.<br><br>Please help me =
------=_NextPart_000_01BCC086.88EB3D80--

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Try InterSolv's 32-bit dBase driver.. also caters for Clipper/NTX..

Fri, 03 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

I'm looking for the same thing and I have yet posted such a message in that
newsgroups. Nobody did find an answer to me. Everyone is talking about CDX
or others index, but nothing about NTX. I didn't find anything on the Web
site of CA.

Let me know if you find better.

Friendly,

--

--: Rare books & fine computing ! :--
--: Beaux livres & fine programmation ! :--

Hi !!
Does someone now where i can get a driver to use clipper NTX files via
ODBC32.

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!

Thank You in Advance .

Mirko

----------

Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:

> I'm looking for the same thing and I have yet posted such a message in that
> newsgroups. Nobody did find an answer to me. Everyone is talking about CDX
> or others index, but nothing about NTX. I didn't find anything on the Web
> site of CA.

> Let me know if you find better.

> Friendly,

> --

Oh, boy... here we go...

Since we're talking about indexes - I'm having a major-league problem in
that
regard. A recent Netware crash wiped out my old (inherited from previous
people) version of Clipper, LIBs, executables, and all. I've installed
5.0,
followed by 5.2 - and in both cases, whenever I recompile an app and try
to run it, I get a "Corruption detected - 8009" error. I've been able to
trace it down to the 'INDEX ON FOOBAZZ' line - in fact, if I don't index
at all, the apps run fine. The problem seems to be that the prog is
looking
for a .CDX index (Duuh, given the DBFCDX libs...), but all of our
are IDXs.

Now, I'm talking about HUNDREDS of indexes.

My question is, how do I tell the compiler (and/or linker) to force the
default to IDX, which the DBFCDX lib is supposed to handle anyway?

HELP!

TIA,

Ben
-=-

Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:03:06 -0400, "Raymond L. Fournier"

>Now, I'm talking about HUNDREDS of indexes.
>My question is, how do I tell the compiler (and/or linker) to force the
>default to IDX, which the DBFCDX lib is supposed to handle anyway?

index on somefield TO filename creates an .IDX index.

index on somefield TAG tagname creates a .CDX index.

I changed 100% of my indexes to .CDX a long time ago.

This gives a problem with INDEXEXT() function, so I created:

function MYINDEXEXT()

retval := INDEXEXT()

if retval == '.IDX'
   retval := '.CDX'
endif

return retval

And I replaced any other INDEXEXT() functions with MYINDEXEXT(), and
changed all:

index on ? TO ?

index on ? TAG ?

Now, the default index is always .CDX, and MYINDEXEXT() always returns
.CDX for that RDD.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:

>On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:03:06 -0400, "Raymond L. Fournier"

>>Now, I'm talking about HUNDREDS of indexes.

>>My question is, how do I tell the compiler (and/or linker) to force the
>>default to IDX, which the DBFCDX lib is supposed to handle anyway?

>index on somefield TO filename creates an .IDX index.

>index on somefield TAG tagname creates a .CDX index.

>I changed 100% of my indexes to .CDX a long time ago.

<Good advice about using CDXs snipped...>

<Sigh...> I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in my original
post...

I recently took over this MIS dept., and have been running at top
speed ever since: changing (I refuse to say 'upgrading') everyone in
the company to Win95, replacing the dying/dead servers (Netware
3.12) with a new 4.10 server, trying to get the resultant mess to
work - it's been... fun.

I have approx. 10k lines of Clipper code to maintain. Not a big
problem normally - Clipper is pretty easy and fun to learn - but,
the compiler/linker that I've been using died on an old server -
and I have no clue of what the version was.

I have 30+ progs to maintain. Changing all the indexes from IDXs to
CDXs would be nightmarish. The question I'm really asking is:

How do I get the compiler/linker to tell these things to keep on
using IDXs, the way they have been all along - instead of the
CDXs that they insist on once recompiled with the new Clipper
install?

FYI, the setup is Clipper 5.3 / Blinker 1.0.

Folks, my apologies for being long-winded, and I really appreciate
any help you can give me.

Ben Okopnik
MIS Manager, Guardian Insurance

Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:

><Sigh...> I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in my original
>post...

>I recently took over this MIS dept., and have been running at top
>speed ever since: changing (I refuse to say 'upgrading') everyone in
>the company to Win95, replacing the dying/dead servers (Netware
>3.12) with a new 4.10 server, trying to get the resultant mess to
>work - it's been... fun.

>I have approx. 10k lines of Clipper code to maintain. Not a big
>problem normally - Clipper is pretty easy and fun to learn - but,
>the compiler/linker that I've been using died on an old server -
>and I have no clue of what the version was.

>I have 30+ progs to maintain. Changing all the indexes from IDXs to
>CDXs would be nightmarish. The question I'm really asking is:

>How do I get the compiler/linker to tell these things to keep on
>using IDXs, the way they have been all along - instead of the
>CDXs that they insist on once recompiled with the new Clipper
>install?

>FYI, the setup is Clipper 5.3 / Blinker 1.0.

As was alluded to in another post in this thread, it could be that the
stripped down version of Comix that was included in Clipper 5.3 is
incapable of creating .IDX indexes. I don't know, since I use 5.2e.

However, I do know that the full version of Comix or the full version
of Six DOES create .IDX files. I suggest Six 3.x, available from
1-800-CLIPPER. You could use the full version of Comix, which I used
for years, but I seem to like Six better. Nothing specific, mind you.

Also, Blinker 1.0 is going to cause you nothing but trouble with 5.3.

There have been at least 10 revisions since then, and the current one
is 4.1. The great thing about 4.1 is that the memory management
cooperates with Windows '95 and NT, instead of fighting it like 1.0.

I know it's a chunk of change, but I'd seriously recommend Blinker 4.1
and Six 3.x before you beat it to death and still don't have something
stable.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Wed, 08 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

The COMIX RDD V3.0x (Clipper 5.3) doesn't support the IDX format or
extension.
Its documented in the COMIX manuals at least.

If you want IDX you will have to get SixDriver for Clipper 5.3.

--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:51:27 +0200, Craig Jarvis

> >> index on somefield TO filename creates an .IDX index.

> >> index on somefield TAG tagname creates a .CDX index.

> >Phil, I may be wrong, but I think that the Clipper 5.3 DBFCDX driver
> >ALWAYS creates .CDX files.

> Could be. I don't know. Anyone?

> ---

>              WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
>         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Thu, 09 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Raymond

Clipper 5.3 (COMIX V3.0) doesn't support the IDX file format.

Its not that hard to change at all, depends on how the indices are created.
eg
USE DBFILE1
INDEX ON FIELD1 TO 'DBFILE1.IDX'
INDEX ON FIELD1 + FIELD2 TO 'DBFILE2.IDX'

In use you would say
USE DBFILE1
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE1'
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE2'

SET ORDER TO 'DBFILE1'
or
SET ORDER TO 1

In this case all you would have to change is the IDX extension to CDX in
your .prg OR remove the .IDX extension altogether
INDEX ON FIELD1 TO 'DBFILE1.CDX'
INDEX ON FIELD1 + FIELD2 TO 'DBFILE2'

In use you would say
USE DBFILE1
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE1'
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE2'

SET ORDER TO 'DBFILE1'
or
SET ORDER TO 1

They would work with no other changes required.

If your using TAGS as well as defining the index name the above should work
as well.
INDEX ON FIELD1 TAG 'CUSTNO' TO 'DBFILE1.CDX'
INDEX ON FIELD1 + FIELD2 TAG 'CUSTINVNO' TO 'DBFILE2'

In use you would say
USE DBFILE1
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE1'
SET INDEX TO 'DBFILE2'

SET ORDER TO 'CUSTNO'
or
SET ORDER TO 1

Also if your using the SET( _AUTOOPEN, .T. ) option then the first index
will be opened automatically if it has the same name as the .DBF file
(they're called structural indices).

Basically what I'm  saying is remove any reference to .IDX from your source
code recompile & rebuild your indices and it should work with OK.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:

> >On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:03:06 -0400, "Raymond L. Fournier"

> >>Now, I'm talking about HUNDREDS of indexes.
> >>My question is, how do I tell the compiler (and/or linker) to force the
> >>default to IDX, which the DBFCDX lib is supposed to handle anyway?
> >index on somefield TO filename creates an .IDX index.
> >index on somefield TAG tagname creates a .CDX index.
> >I changed 100% of my indexes to .CDX a long time ago.
> <Good advice about using CDXs snipped...>
> <Sigh...> I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in my original
> post...

> I recently took over this MIS dept., and have been running at top
> speed ever since: changing (I refuse to say 'upgrading') everyone in
> the company to Win95, replacing the dying/dead servers (Netware
> 3.12) with a new 4.10 server, trying to get the resultant mess to
> work - it's been... fun.

> I have approx. 10k lines of Clipper code to maintain. Not a big
> problem normally - Clipper is pretty easy and fun to learn - but,
> the compiler/linker that I've been using died on an old server -
> and I have no clue of what the version was.
> I have 30+ progs to maintain. Changing all the indexes from IDXs to
> CDXs would be nightmarish. The question I'm really asking is:
> How do I get the compiler/linker to tell these things to keep on
> using IDXs, the way they have been all along - instead of the
> CDXs that they insist on once recompiled with the new Clipper
> install?
> FYI, the setup is Clipper 5.3 / Blinker 1.0.
> Folks, my apologies for being long-winded, and I really appreciate
> any help you can give me.
> Ben Okopnik
> MIS Manager, Guardian Insurance

Thu, 09 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

We have a Clipper App V 5.3, that is going to have to run under Win NT V
4.0.  These are DB? and NTX File formats.

Someone told me that the EXE (there is only one) would have to loaded
locally, and then modify the SYSINFO.DBF file on each workstation to map
back to the NT Server, where the remaining DBF's & DBT's reside.

Does this sound logical.  Appreciate any help or place(s) where I could
locate help on Clipper and NT V 4.0 issues.

                Thank you,  Chris;  Optimum Computer Solutions

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:

> We have a Clipper App V 5.3, that is going to have to run under Win NT V
> 4.0.  These are DB? and NTX File formats.

> Someone told me that the EXE (there is only one) would have to loaded
> locally, and then modify the SYSINFO.DBF file on each workstation to map
> back to the NT Server, where the remaining DBF's & DBT's reside.

> Does this sound logical.  Appreciate any help or place(s) where I could
> locate help on Clipper and NT V 4.0 issues.

Doesn't sound neccessary or logical, but hard to maintain.

There are (usually) no reasons to split files between local disk
and network drive.  Why should you, do you have to ?

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:

> > >Phil, I may be wrong, but I think that the Clipper 5.3 DBFCDX driver
> > >ALWAYS creates .CDX files.

> > Could be. I don't know. Anyone?

I've been using it for near a year.  Never created anything but .CDX, coding both ways.  The wee book on drivers, however, _does_ say "You can use .cdx and .idx files concurrently...but...", then later says "DBFCDX supports both .cdx and .idx files; and ORDBAGEXT() returns the default index extension of the driver loaded..."

Eric Breddam

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Driver for Clipper NTX via ODBC32

Quote:
>Raymond

>Clipper 5.3 (COMIX V3.0) doesn't support the IDX file format.

<BIG clip of helpful code, etc.)

Quote:
>Basically what I'm  saying is remove any reference to .IDX from your source
>code recompile & rebuild your indices and it should work with OK.

>HTH

Well, Steve, it did help... though not in a way you might expect.

Your first statement (re Clipper 5.3) turns out to be the key:
actually, given the DBFCDX driver, it _does_ support IDXs...
very poorly, that is.

The trick turned out to be, in multiple steps:

1) Reinstall 5.2c, which I happened to have;
2) Create a DBFCDX.CH in the \INCLUDE directory
    (just copy the DBFNTX and modify all refs)
3) Make sure that all .PRGs include a #INCLUDE 'DBFCDX.CH' line.
4) Make sure that all USE statements include a VIA 'DBFCDX' clause.

The default for the DBFCDX RDD for 5.2c turns out to be... .IDX.

Holy confusion, Batman!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded: the solution
only took a week of code-bashing - instead of infinity. A
virtual 'Jolt' cola for all of ya - I'm buyin'!

<grin>

Thanks again.

Ben Okopnik

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. ODBC driver for Clipper - handling ntx files

2. ODBC Driver for Clipper DBF/NTX

3. ODBC DRIVER FOR CLIPPER DBF/DBT THAT SUPPORTS NTX INDEX FILES

4. Driver to connect to clipper dbf's via Java

5. Htcsoft.lib ODBC32 with CA-Clipper & Fivewin

6. Clipper 5.01 and Clipper 5.3b NTX compatibility

7. Problem opening DBF and NTX files via Windows XP

8. Problem opening DBF and NTX files via Windows XP

9. Need ODBC Driver for NTX

10. ODBC Driver for DBF/NTX

11. dBase III ODBC driver that supports .ntx

12. Where are ODBC NTX and Flex drivers?