summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
Author Message
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang

I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the ten
or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add or
delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600 records) -
besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?  thanks

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:35:01 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
Lots of possibilities - are the # of files set correctly?

set clipper=e0,f150

Mike

Quote:
> I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the ten
> or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add or
> delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600 records) -
> besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
thanks

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:51:38 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang

Quote:
> I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the ten
> or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add or
> delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600 records) -
> besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?  thanks

This sounds like the "magic number" problem. There was a formula for it,
but I don't recall it. It involved both the number of records and the
length of the index expression. As I recall, it was fixed in the "4 a.m."
version of S'87 clipper.lib that is probably available somewhere.

Neil

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:00:07 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
(I sent the following response last night, but apparently it didn't get out
correctly; so here goes again)

Many years ago, somebody explained to magic number problem as follows:

Quote:
>The problem is with Summer '87 - the 2:00am release.

>When the Reccount()  % INT( 64512 / ( IndexExpr Length + 4 ) ) = 0
>the indexing will fail ( not sure how it manifests itself ).

>A workaround is to add and delete a record when this condition
>exists. A solution is to get the Summer '87 clipper.lib 4.00am.

In my case: you either hot a hangup, or some kind of out-of-memory error
message.

Dick

Quote:

>> I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
>> problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the
ten
>> or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add
or
>> delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
>> database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600
records) -
>> besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
thanks

>This sounds like the "magic number" problem. There was a formula for it,
>but I don't recall it. It involved both the number of records and the
>length of the index expression. As I recall, it was fixed in the "4 a.m."
>version of S'87 clipper.lib that is probably available somewhere.

>Neil

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:08:23 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
Helloo !

Do you know that the clp87 there is a big bug with the database and index
handing ?

Quote:

> > I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> > problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the
ten
> > or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add
or
> > delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> > database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600
records) -
> > besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
thanks

> This sounds like the "magic number" problem. There was a formula for it,
> but I don't recall it. It involved both the number of records and the
> length of the index expression. As I recall, it was fixed in the "4 a.m."
> version of S'87 clipper.lib that is probably available somewhere.

> Neil

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:52:55 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
This is a good idea but what are the odds that two machines stop on
different databases?  And one being so small (606 records)?   What about 2
copies running at the same time on the same machine?

Quote:
> Hi Larry,

> On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 18:35:01 GMT, "Larry Shulan"

> >I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> >problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the
ten
> >or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add
or
> >delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> >database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600
records) -
> >besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
thanks

> Try re-compiling your app with the Clipper.Lib  Summer 87 4:00am
> version and see if this helps as suggested by Neil Kingsley.

> See your email for Clipper.lib Summer 87 4:00am version

> Regards Ray Manning
> Melbourne, Australia

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:18:47 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
I've been using Summer 87 for years and have had minor problems as
well.  Had never heard of the 4 am version before.  Is it possible to
get a copy of this lib file as well.
Quote:

> This is a good idea but what are the odds that two machines stop on
> different databases?  And one being so small (606 records)?   What about 2
> copies running at the same time on the same machine?

> > Hi Larry,

> > On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 18:35:01 GMT, "Larry Shulan"

> > >I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> > >problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the
>  ten
> > >or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add
>  or
> > >delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> > >database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600
>  records) -
> > >besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
>  thanks

> > Try re-compiling your app with the Clipper.Lib  Summer 87 4:00am
> > version and see if this helps as suggested by Neil Kingsley.

> > See your email for Clipper.lib Summer 87 4:00am version

> > Regards Ray Manning
> > Melbourne, Australia

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:29:21 GMT
 summer 87 - certain number of records causes indexing to hang
I have gotten the 4AM version and am going to try it and have gotten from
you (in separate posting) the formula.  This sounds like it will fix it.
I'll let you know after I get the databases back to previous condition and
then test it.  Thanks  Larry

Quote:

> > I know that summer of 87 is verrrry old, but I still have need to debug
> > problem.  Two separate customers get a frozen screen when indexing the
ten
> > or so databases.  Each of them hangs on a different database.  If I add
or
> > delete even one record from the database, indexing works properly.  One
> > database is very small (606 records) the other is large (51,600
records) -
> > besides periodically deleting records, anyone have any other ideas?
thanks

> This sounds like the "magic number" problem. There was a formula for it,
> but I don't recall it. It involved both the number of records and the
> length of the index expression. As I recall, it was fixed in the "4 a.m."
> version of S'87 clipper.lib that is probably available somewhere.

> Neil

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:00:45 GMT

1. Clipper Summer 87 Application moved from 286 to Pentium Causing Errors

2. Clipper Summer 87 Application Moved from 286 to Pentium Causing Errors

3. Summer 87 Internal Error 16: What causes this?

4. Summer 87 and EMM386 - computer hangs

5. Indexing over network with Summer 87

6. index summer 87 and VB6

7. Help Index Build Error 8 Summer 87

8. Out of Memory whilst indexing tables - Summer 87

9. Summer 87 index probs with NT server

10. .NDX indexes in Summer '87

11. Summer 87, Netware 3.12, and record locking???

12. Another Summer '87 magic number