Borland's C++ vs Visual C
Author Message
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C

   I downloaded today (from the bizland site) BCC 5.5.1

   Aside from Borland (Inprise) making BCC 5.5 and MS providing Visual C, what
are the major differences between these two compilers ??  Are they just two
manufacturers' competing products ??

   BTW,  I did a 'Hello World" with BCC 5.5 today and will try a GUI thingy
tomorrow.  (Harbour , here I come !!)

-Mel Smith

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:02:43 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C

Quote:
>    I downloaded today (from the bizland site) BCC 5.5.1

>    Aside from Borland (Inprise) making BCC 5.5 and MS providing Visual C, what
> are the major differences between these two compilers ??  Are they just two
> manufacturers' competing products ??

>    BTW,  I did a 'Hello World" with BCC 5.5 today and will try a GUI thingy
> tomorrow.  (Harbour , here I come !!)

> -Mel Smith

Mel,

From some of your posts, it seems that you've been pondering the DOS
to Win32 transition... if you can code in C (or better, C++), have you
considered Borland C++ Builder? (Delphi's evil twin - same VCL, same IDE,
shares most Delphi components).

I mention this because the knee-jerk response around here is often
"Delphi" - in fact, I don't think I've ever seen BCB mentioned here!

As to your question... both are good. The problem is that you probably
don't want to be building Winapps using a non-Visual C++ compiler (i.e.
either one)! You can grab a copy of BCB (Pro, version 4.0) on eBay for
$15-20; it's one version out of date, but solid and very useful.

Neil

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:38:34 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C

Quote:

>From some of your posts, it seems that you've been pondering the DOS
>to Win32 transition... if you can code in C

   Actually, I've already purchased FiveWin, and am starting conversion of my
apps to Windows.

   The reason I've picked up BCC5.5 is that it can be used to compile the
Harbour source code into Harbour.exe (I think and believe !)

   I thought I would try Bcc5.5 to get a feel for C/C++ (which I've neved coded
in)

(or better, C++), have you

Quote:
>considered Borland C++ Builder?

   I've seen the name: " Borland's C++ Builder" bandied around but don't know
what it is or how it differs from Bcc5.5.

Quote:
>don't want to be building Winapps using a non-visual C++ compiler (i.e.
>either one)!

   Either one ???  A quick perusal of the BCC stuff says that I can create
32-bit Windows applications ??  (Did I read this incorrectly ??)  Also, how
does this relate to building Harbour ??

   I'm a bit confused here but thanks for your response Neil !!

-Mel Smith

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:16:43 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C
Mel,

Quote:
> >From some of your posts, it seems that you've been pondering the DOS
> >to Win32 transition... if you can code in C
>    Actually, I've already purchased FiveWin, and am starting conversion of
my
> apps to Windows.

FiveWin for Harbour is compiled with Borland C5.5 as is the Harbour that is
used with FiveWin for Harbour.
So, best choice for you will be Borland C5.5.
One more great thing about BCC5.5... Its FREE! ;-))

See http://www.FiveWin.Be.kz for details on how to download it.

--
Regards,

Patrick Mast
http://www.Patrick.Be.kz (By Bekz.net)
http://www.FiveWin.Be.kz (By Bekz.net)
http://www.Harbour-Project.org

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:23:37 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C

Quote:

>   I've seen the name: " Borland's C++ Builder" bandied around but don't know
>what it is or how it differs from Bcc5.5.

BCC5.5 is the same compiler that C++ Builder uses.  Of course you can
build GUI applications with it!

By using BCC5.5, you have the advantage of seeing what is under the hood
of C++ Builder, without being distracted by its slick GUI IDE.

If you are unsatisfied with your current strategy, CPPB might be a good
next step.  You'll have a leg up on CPPB users who have only compiled by
clicking a button from inside its IDE.

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:03:21 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C
Patrick,
   I got an e-mail from Neil K. that gave a detailed explanation of Borland's
C++ Builder and contrasted it to Delphi etc.  Very illuminating ! (and
interesting ).

   However, my interest now is in catching up with the 'Harbour crowd' while I
transform myself into a 5-winner . I know that perpetually I'll always be a
follower but perhaps later I can help in finding 'bugs' (that's the only thing
I have any talent at !)

   In the meantime, I got Bcc5.5 to run a 'console' task ("Hello World"), and
then another simple 'Hello World' in GUI.  I think I'll leave it there for
awhile unless someone will suggest a "next step" for me to move forward into a
bit more of Harbour ??

BTW,  I don't understand the meaning of this next statement ??

Quote:
>FiveWin for Harbour is compiled with Borland C5.5 as is the Harbour that is
>used with FiveWin for Harbour.

????

-Mel Smith

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:30:57 GMT
 Borland's C++ vs Visual C
Mel,

Quote:
>FiveWin for Harbour is compiled with Borland C5.5 as is the Harbour that is
>used with FiveWin for Harbour.

What Patrick want to tell is that there is two Version of Fivewin one for clipper
and one for
Harbour, and the one for Harbour (FWH)  is compiled with BC5.5. I begin to convert
my application from Clipper+Fivewin to Harbour+FWH(Fivewin for Harbour). And
believe me it's really and easy task for us Clipperhead, I think it will take much
longer to convert it to Delphi (that's only my opinion). Using all Windows API to
achieve some special task with Harbour+FWH  is really easy and the most important
we have the control !. WE have over 5,000 copys of our Application written in
Clipper and Fivewin on the market and it's incredibly stable and with no surprise
!

 That's only my modest experience

Sylvain

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:38:25 GMT

1. Borland C++ vs Visual C++

3. C++ vs VisualAge for SmallTalk vs Visual Basic

4. Test and Set (TS) vs Compare and Swap (CS)

5. Cellular automata benchmarks: Java vs C++ vs Java vs C++

6. Borland C++ Builder vs CW

7. Borland C++ vs. MASM32

8. VS C++ and Borland ASM 4.0

9. MSVisual C++ vs Borland Builder.