Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Author Message
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.

Hi All;

Let's try this one more time.  I have a clipper app that I am trying to get
to work under XP.  Everything is fine until I try to print to lpt1 ( set
device to print, set print on, et. al.)  The program fails with a TERM/0

isn't open to print to.

Yes, it is a network printer, and yes I can print to it from XP, and yes I
can print from a DOS window in XP.... Unfortunately, the print to a file and
use type option is one that I can't consider right now.  It is the only XP
machine on a network with DOS 6.22 and Win98 machines.  Not too interested
in changing the whole app for one computer.

don't work.  Am I missing some little step?  Hasn't anyone tried to get a

app?

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are and will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Rob.

Tue, 17 May 2005 02:15:51 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Rob

Have you installed a LOCAL printer (driver)??
Yes you have a NETWORK printer but do you have a LOCAL one
defined/installed, you don't need to have a physical printer attached to
create one.
StartButton->Settings->Printers->AddPrinter - install the GENERIC printer on
LPT1
You may also need to execute the following at least once in a CMD window
    NET USE LPT1 \\Network\Printer /PERSISTENT:YES

Now run your app to see what happens.
--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Tue, 17 May 2005 06:12:50 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Rob, (Greg?)

Quote:
>Let's try this one more time.  I have a clipper app that I am trying to get
>to work under XP.  Everything is fine until I try to print to lpt1 ( set
>device to print, set print on, et. al.)  The program fails with a TERM/0

>isn't open to print to.

So far you have said "set device to print, set print on" twice but you
haven't yet said "set printer to lpt1". Was that just an omission in
the question or is it missing in the code too?

Klas

-------
klas dot engwall at engwall dot com

Tue, 17 May 2005 10:44:53 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Stephen;

I thought, hey I haven't installed a local printer.  Let's try that.  I did,
but alas, that didn't solve the problem.  The "net use" is now taken over by
a novell capture.  Again, this whole system, as it is, works fine on Win98
machines.  Argh!  Gotta' love M$...

Rob.

Quote:
> Rob

> Have you installed a LOCAL printer (driver)??
> Yes you have a NETWORK printer but do you have a LOCAL one
> defined/installed, you don't need to have a physical printer attached to
> create one.
> StartButton->Settings->Printers->AddPrinter - install the GENERIC printer
on
> LPT1
> You may also need to execute the following at least once in a CMD window
>     NET USE LPT1 \\Network\Printer /PERSISTENT:YES

> Now run your app to see what happens.
> --
> HTH
> Steve Quinn

Wed, 18 May 2005 01:31:12 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Hi;

Thanks for all your help... with your many tips and some invetigative work,
I was able to get it working!

Thanks,
Rob.

Wed, 18 May 2005 04:58:12 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:58:12 GMT, "Greg Sikina"

Quote:

>Hi;

>Thanks for all your help... with your many tips and some invetigative work,
>I was able to get it working!

>Thanks,
>Rob.

Rob,

How about telling everyone how you did it? Someone next week is bound
to ask the same/similar question.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Wed, 18 May 2005 06:35:22 GMT
 Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.
Aw... do I have to?  It's kind of embarassing...

lol

Well, it's a novell 3.12 network.  I'm not sure updating the novell client
would have made a difference or not, in the end, but I did update the client
to Novell 4.83 for w2k, XP.

This still didn't work so I went back to the source code, and noticed
something that I hadn't before, even though I had looked at it before...

My app writes to lpt2, not lpt1... so discovering that, all I had to do was
capture lpt2 and everything was ok... (how embarassing...)

At least I learned a lot about XP and dos apps in all of this...

I am not sure that I could have issued a "net use lpt2: \\Server\Printername
/persistent:Yes", but I see no reason why it would have not worked...

Thanks again, everybody for all your help.  Forgive me for the consternation
my oversight caused...

Rob.

Quote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 20:58:12 GMT, "Greg Sikina"

> >Hi;

> >Thanks for all your help... with your many tips and some invetigative
work,
> >I was able to get it working!

> >Thanks,
> >Rob.

> Rob,

> How about telling everyone how you did it? Someone next week is bound
> to ask the same/similar question.

> Regards,

> Ross McKenzie
> ValuSoft
> Melbourne Australia

Thu, 19 May 2005 07:19:47 GMT

1. Printing from clipper applications under Win XP DOS prints control codes

2. Novlib Print Capture fails under Windows XP

3. LPT1 Printer Spooling/Printing and Appending to a Print File

4. printing clipper 5.3 on XP Pro

5. printing from clipper app under XP prof

6. Clipper, Windows XP, and printing.

7. serial printing in clipper (windows 2000/xp)

8. XP and slow printing from clipper program

9. Clipper printing problem under Windows XP

10. NI VISA not seeing LPT1, although LPT1 working with Logic Analzyer Software

11. printing to LPT1

12. Method to print a string directly to LPT1 in VA 3.0 OS/2