NT, DBF's, Indexes and Corruption detected or Access Denied
Author Message
 NT, DBF's, Indexes and Corruption detected or Access Denied

Just for the record (Googles that is):

I was testing some network file stuff with my NT 4.0 sp6a machine
accessing a Win 98 machine and was getting very slow response, and
quite soon a "Corruption Detected" error or a DOS error 5 (access
denied). When I was not using indexes it seemed to run fine. Both NTX
and CDX indexes gave the same results - using the 5.3b version of
Clipper. Running the same test from the Win98 box to the NT box was
fine. A Win2000 (sp2) box as a server was fine.

After a LOT of research on MSDN and messing around I have discovered
that if you replace the file NETBT.SYS (for sp6a) in
\WINNT\system32\drivers with the one from sp5 then all is well (YMMV).
Thanks to Eric Jacobowitz for this insight. I was only running TCP/IP
and I think it is possible that if NETBEUI was installed then I
wouldn't have had a problem (I don't *know*).

See MSDN :
Performance Improvement for Redirector/Server Connections Involving
Small File Operations
Q236316

I assume the rapid locking and unlocking of parts of the index that
the RDDs perform during access causes a great number of very small
packets.

I followed up this article:

Slow Network Performance with Service Pack 4, 5, 6, or 6a
Q249799

but did not make any headway with this line of enquiry or obtaining
the hotfixed RDR.SYS that they mention. It would be nice if there was
a sp7 but, alas, it shall never be.

I am sure it is not a good thing to go around mixing and matching
files from service packs but if you are stuck (I was) then I HTH.

Please also check out Klas Engwalls oft repeated advice about
CachedOpenLimit, EnableOplocks and AutoDisconnect values in the
registry if using NT, 2000 and XP as a server and UseLockReadUnlock,
UseOpportunisticLocking and UtilizeNtCaching if using NT, 2000 and XP
as clients.

Alex Strickland
sscc zat mweb pt co pt za

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:17:54 GMT

1. Need RDD to access DELPHI Dbf's/indexes

2. DBF File - Corruption detected

3. Corruption Detected ... DBF/NTX 1012 or DBFNTX /1210

4. RANDOMLY RECEIVING ERROR Corruption detected DBF/NTX

5. detect dbf corruption

6. Cross Linked Files & DBF/Index Corruption

7. Access denied when opening dbf

8. Corruption Detected (ntx index files)

9. Which index file Corruption detected?

10. Discovering corruption dbf's/ntx's

11. Rename - Access Denied - Windows NT

12. Access Denied on NT