Help wanted on DBT file
Author Message
 Help wanted on DBT file

Hi!

I have a problem with a DBT file.  When I'm packing a DBF file, the DBT
file associated with the DBF file does not reduce it size.  Why? And can I
reduce the size of the DBT file?

Thank You Very Much!

From the Saguenay-Lac St-Jean

Serge Gravel

Is my English correct?

Sat, 10 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted on DBT file

Quote:

> Hi!

> I have a problem with a DBT file.  When I'm packing a DBF file, the DBT
> file associated with the DBF file does not reduce it size.  Why? And can I
> reduce the size of the DBT file?

> Thank You Very Much!

> From the Saguenay-Lac St-Jean

> Serge Gravel

> Is my English correct?

Use "Copy To" and then rename the file back to the original.

Sun, 11 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted on DBT file

Quote:

>Hi!
>I have a problem with a DBT file.  When I'm packing a DBF file, the DBT
>file associated with the DBF file does not reduce it size.  Why? And can I
>reduce the size of the DBT file?
>Thank You Very Much!
>From the Saguenay-Lac St-Jean
>Serge Gravel

Nothing wrong with your English or the DBT file. In order to pack a
DBT file you first PACK the DBF and then perform a COPY TO a new
database (SET DELETED ON). You will have a new database with a packed
DBF and DBT. You then copy those files over the older ones and you're
done.
Greetings,
Peter
Quote:
>Is my English correct?

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted on DBT file

Bonjour Serge,

SG> I have a problem with a DBT file.  When I'm packing a DBF file, the DBT
SG> file associated with the DBF file does not reduce it size.  Why? And can I

The problem is that when packing a DBF you loose the pointers stored in
deleted records that point to a certain section of the DBT file, but those
sections themselves remain in the DBT file.

To solve this problem you can copy the records that are not deleted to a
temp file. This will also copy those parts of the DBT that belong to the
pointers to the DBT-file that you copy to a temp DBT file.
When all is copied correctly you can remove the original dbf and dbt and
rename the temp dbf and dbt to the original name.

Anne.
---
 t KingQWK 1.05 # 179 t Life; waiting for nothing to happen.

Thu, 15 Apr 1999 02:00:00 GMT
 Help wanted on DBT file

Quote:

>When I'm packing a DBF file, the DBT
>file associated with the DBF file does not reduce it size.  Why? And can I
>reduce the size of the DBT file?

  As I understand, the best way to pack a DBT file, is with the COPY TO
command.

Rick Hull

Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help, DBT file problem

2. HELP Clipper DBT Files.

3. File size of Advantage dbt files

4. Clipper .dbt to dBase .dbt?

5. BEST Help system WANTED, creating help files for a clarion app

6. PROBLEMS WITH DBT FILES

7. Program Hang - DBT file

8. Access 97 linking to DBF,NTX, DBT Files

9. DBT file

10. Clipper 5.2e And Delphi 5.0 using .DBT memo files

11. Problems with a DBT file (MEMO, fields)

12. export dbf dbt and ntx files ?