Testing network prgs in CA-Clipper / CA-dBFast
Author Message
 Testing network prgs in CA-Clipper / CA-dBFast

Hi,
I'm looking for a program which will allow me to test
network programs using just the serial port. It doesn't
have to be fast. I only need it to test file/record
locks using my notebook and desktop PC at home.

Anything for less than $100 that runs in Windows for
Workgroups would be great. I'm using Clipper and dBFast to
write my applications.

Thanks,

Armando

Wed, 26 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Testing network prgs in CA-Clipper / CA-dBFast

Quote:

>  Hi,
>  I'm looking for a program which will allow me to test
>  network programs using just the serial port. It doesn't
>  have to be fast. I only need it to test file/record
>  locks using my notebook and desktop PC at home.

>  Anything for less than $100 that runs in Windows for
>  Workgroups would be great. I'm using Clipper and dBFast to
>  write my applications.

>  Thanks,

>  Armando

I'm confused.  ARe you trying to set up a mini-network using the serial port for the lines of communications so that
you can test File Record Locking?  If so, don't bother.  If you are running Windows, just make sure that you have
share.exe loaded with appropriate parameters and run two copies of the .exe.  Instant Network test bed!

The code will have to behave the same as if it were running on two different machines accross a network.

:=JHS

John H. Stolte, Sr. - Omicron Software Publishing Corp.
**** Publisher of FiveWin - FiveDOS and FiveOS2 for Clipper! ****
14 High Street  P.O. Box 87, Cartersville {*filter*}ia 23027 USA
[Voice] (804) 375-9703 - [Fax] (804) 375-9733 - [BBS] (804) 375-9639

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Testing network prgs in CA-Clipper / CA-dBFast

Quote:

>  Hi,
>  I'm looking for a program which will allow me to test
>  network programs using just the serial port. It doesn't
>  have to be fast. I only need it to test file/record
>  locks using my notebook and desktop PC at home.

>  Anything for less than $100 that runs in Windows for
>  Workgroups would be great. I'm using Clipper and dBFast to
>  write my applications.

>  Thanks,

>  Armando

I hit the Send button before I meant to....

Or, you could set up a real network with WFW by getting a couple of inexpensive Ethernet cards and a pice of
Thin Coax Cable.  The last two ethernet cards I bought were $79.00 and $36.00 respectively.  They both work fine.
WFW has the Networking built right in!

:=JHS

John H. Stolte, Sr. - Omicron Software Publishing Corp.
**** Publisher of FiveWin - FiveDOS and FiveOS2 for Clipper! ****
14 High Street  P.O. Box 87, Cartersville {*filter*}ia 23027 USA
[Voice] (804) 375-9703 - [Fax] (804) 375-9733 - [BBS] (804) 375-9639

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Testing network prgs in CA-Clipper / CA-dBFast
John,
I'll try the share.exe + WFW tip first.
Back in the Summer'87 days I used to use something called
Multilink which worked fine for this type of testing (using
the serial ports). Multilink was cheap but it wasn't a $25
network which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips and for the info about FiveWin.
FiveWin is great and friendlier than CA-VO. When it comes
to Clipper for Windows, you guys are way ahead of
Computer Associates!

Armando

Quote:

>I hit the Send button before I meant to....
>Or, you could set up a real network with WFW by getting a couple of inexpensive Ethernet cards and a pice of
>Thin Coax Cable.  The last two ethernet cards I bought were $79.00 and $36.00 respectively.  They both work fine.
>WFW has the Networking built right in!
>:=JHS
>John H. Stolte, Sr. - Omicron Software Publishing Corp.
>**** Publisher of FiveWin - FiveDOS and FiveOS2 for Clipper! ****
>14 High Street  P.O. Box 87, Cartersville {*filter*}ia 23027 USA
>[Voice] (804) 375-9703 - [Fax] (804) 375-9733 - [BBS] (804) 375-9639

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. CA Commitment To CA-Clipper And CA-VO - A Quote From clcvo

2. >CA-dBFast 3.0 or CA-dBFast95

3. CA-VO or CA-dBFast storing large binary objects

4. CA-Clipper 5.3 with CA-Clipper Tools

5. CA-dBFast 2.0D1 / Clipper

6. Clipper '87 memo limit/CA-dBFast 2.0D1 more information

7. CA-dBFast 2.0D1 / Clipper '87 Memo limit

8. CA ftp site (CA-Clipper, CA-dBFast.. dirs available)

9. CA clipper -> CA VO 2.5

10. CA-Tools III with CA-Clipper v5.3b

11. !CA-VO True 32-bit CA-Clipper for Windows

12. Problem in multimdia software development with CA-Clipper / CA-VO