Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0
Author Message
 Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0

Hi all,

I have a big problem and hope someone can help me.

1. I have a small LAN (about 25 clients), based on a Pentium Pro 200, with
2 GB SCSI HD and 64 MB RAM, running Windows NT Server 4.0 (I'm steal using
coaxial cable and 10 Mbit Lan cards, but I think the problem dos not come
from here); all clients are Pentium 133 or more with at least 16 MB RAM,
running Win95;

2. I installed an app writen in Clipper 5.2e and ExoSpace (I'm not using
CA-Tools on this app); the executable and the DBF's reside both on the
Server;

3. When I access data and open the shared files (sometime 10 Dbf's or more,
each with 4 or 5 Index - .NTX), it gives the message that cannot open the
file (I', openning .dbf in a loop, it tries several times to open the same
file for 10 seconds and if unsuccess gives that message; I already tried to
increase waiting time to 20 seconds or more, but the problem remains). If I
choose to retry , after 3 or 4 times it opens the file). I think the
problem is with NT Server 4.0, that doesn't responde on time.

4. After that, the access to the data is very slow (sometimes, not always),
even with only one user accessing the files on the server (It seems not
depending on the number of users). In some operations, like refreshing a
Tbrowse, some time it seems to stop for some seconds, and then running
'normal' again.

I think that with this machine ( PPro 200 and 64 MB RAM) it should be much
faster. There is another app running on the network, but a Windows app, and
it is fast and dosn't have that stop time.

Should the problem be in the DBF's ?  Should I use CDX or another index,
instead of .NTX ?
Should the problem be in he IDLE time ?  (but the app is running on each
workstation, nor on the Server, so it should not affect NT 4.0
performance).

Any ideas or sugestions will be much apreciated.

TIA

Arsnio Fernandes
Tavinfor - Informtica, Lda.  &  AlgarSoft - Informtica, Lda.
Tavira - Algarve - Portugal

Tue, 03 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0

Quote:
>1. I have a small LAN (about 25 clients), based on a Pentium Pro 200, with
>2 GB SCSI HD and 64 MB RAM, running Windows NT Server 4.0 (I'm steal using
>coaxial cable and 10 Mbit Lan cards, but I think the problem dos not come
>from here); all clients are Pentium 133 or more with at least 16 MB RAM,
>running Win95;

Have you installed patch vrdr2upd.zip from my www site?

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Tue, 03 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0

You might try the vrdr2upd.zip file that Phil suggested.

Also, I've experienced considerable problems with Exospace in some
environments -- I'd suggest changing to Blinker.

Finally, I've got a file on my website for changing out inkey() calls,
which monopolize CPU utilization on N/T W/S. There's currently a link to
the proper page from my front page.
--
Richard Mitchell
http://www.geocities.com/~bytemaster
bytemaster at ibm.net

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a big problem and hope someone can help me.

> 1. I have a small LAN (about 25 clients), based on a Pentium Pro 200,
with
> 2 GB SCSI HD and 64 MB RAM, running Windows NT Server 4.0 (I'm steal
using
> coaxial cable and 10 Mbit Lan cards, but I think the problem dos not come
> from here); all clients are Pentium 133 or more with at least 16 MB RAM,
> running Win95;

> 2. I installed an app writen in Clipper 5.2e and ExoSpace (I'm not using
> CA-Tools on this app); the executable and the DBF's reside both on the
> Server;

> 3. When I access data and open the shared files (sometime 10 Dbf's or
more,
> each with 4 or 5 Index - .NTX), it gives the message that cannot open the
> file (I', openning .dbf in a loop, it tries several times to open the
same
> file for 10 seconds and if unsuccess gives that message; I already tried
> increase waiting time to 20 seconds or more, but the problem remains). If
> choose to retry , after 3 or 4 times it opens the file). I think the
> problem is with NT Server 4.0, that doesn't responde on time.

> 4. After that, the access to the data is very slow (sometimes, not
always),
> even with only one user accessing the files on the server (It seems not
> depending on the number of users). In some operations, like refreshing a
> Tbrowse, some time it seems to stop for some seconds, and then running
> 'normal' again.

> I think that with this machine ( PPro 200 and 64 MB RAM) it should be
much
> faster. There is another app running on the network, but a Windows app,
and
> it is fast and dosn't have that stop time.

> Should the problem be in the DBF's ?  Should I use CDX or another index,
> instead of .NTX ?
> Should the problem be in he IDLE time ?  (but the app is running on each
> workstation, nor on the Server, so it should not affect NT 4.0
> performance).

> Any ideas or sugestions will be much apreciated.

> TIA

> Arsnio Fernandes
> Tavinfor - Informtica, Lda.  &  AlgarSoft - Informtica, Lda.
> Tavira - Algarve - Portugal

Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

2. NT server app slow with only 1 user

3. Clipper Apps in Win NT 4.0

4. DIRECTORY function won't work under NT Server 4.0

5. Configuring PHP 4.0 for Oracle 8i on Win NT 4.0

6. VF 4.0 on Win NT 4.0...

7. Files slow to open on NT Server 4 - Help as to cause

8. NT Server Slow, NT Workstation Fast

9. MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

10. HELP:MF COBOL 1.2 ON Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP3)

11. MS Windows NT Server 4.0 - Terminal Server Edition

12. Win NT or Win 2000 Server?