Migrating to Windows platform
Author Message
 Migrating to Windows platform

To All NG Readers,

A company I work with is wanting to migrate to the Windows 95/NT
platform
and is wondering which product they should use.  Currently, they use
CA-Clipper 5.2D. The windows products suggested thus far are:

 o XBASE++
 o Clip4Win
 o FiveWin
 o others products

Which of these products is the most stable in such areas as:

 o Handle CA-Clipper 5.2D code with fewest number of changes.
 o Likely-hood that the company will be around in 10-years:
   for support, upgrades, etc.
 o Ability to produce stand-alone appilcations with fewest
   number of external files : dll, etc.
 o Ability to function as a standard Windows executable in
   that is has the ability to use DDE, OLE, ActiveX, etc.
 o Support for Third-party libraries or equivalent replacements.
 o 32-bit native-code compilation.
 o Can it produce a free-standing "Hello World" demo?

Any help would be most appreciated :)
--

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Quote:
>Which of these products is the most stable in such areas as:

> o Handle CA-Clipper 5.2D code with fewest number of changes.

Xbase++

Quote:
> o Likely-hood that the company will be around in 10-years:
>   for support, upgrades, etc.

If I tell you this, you gotta tell me which companies will be at the
top of the fortune 500 in ten years...

Quote:
> o Ability to produce stand-alone appilcations with fewest
>   number of external files : dll, etc.

Delphi, VB, VC++

Quote:
> o Ability to function as a standard Windows executable in
>   that is has the ability to use DDE, OLE, ActiveX, etc.

Delphi, VB, VC++

Quote:
> o Support for Third-party libraries or equivalent replacements.

DLL's, Delphi, Xbase++, VB, VC++

Quote:
> o 32-bit native-code compilation.

Delphi, Xbase++, VB, VC++

Quote:
> o Can it produce a free-standing "Hello World" demo?

Why would you want one?

--

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Brian,

You may download a free fully functional version of FiveWin for Clipper from
www.fivetech.com. There are hundreds of software development companies that
have already ported their Clipper apps to Windows using FiveWin and that are
doing a great bussiness now.

Once your company has the Windows version ready and it is selling it, you
may invest as many time as needed doing research with other products
(because you don't know how long time their learning curve will require, or
if they are stable and mature enough to deliver something professional), but
having the guarantie of keeping your company competitive and alive.

We may supply you some internet adresses of companies that have choosen
FiveWin as their actual tool and that are doing great bussiness, reusing
their existing Clipper technology and know-how.

regards,

Antonio Linares
www.fivetech.com

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Quote:

> o Handle CA-Clipper 5.2D code with fewest number of changes.

  FiveWin, Clip4Win, xBase++

Quote:
> o Ability to produce stand-alone appilcations with fewest
>   number of external files : dll, etc.
> o Ability to function as a standard Windows executable in
>   that is has the ability to use DDE, OLE, ActiveX, etc.
> o Support for Third-party libraries or equivalent replacements.
> o 32-bit native-code compilation.
> o Can it produce a free-standing "Hello World" demo?

Borland C++Builder 3, that's what I use. In my case it
was also a great choice for database development.

Quote:
>Any help would be most appreciated :)

For Clipper code your best choice would be xBase++, I think you
can even use FiveWin with it.

Armando

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Quote:

>A company I work with is wanting to migrate to the Windows 95/NT
>platform

I suggest you look at them all and make your own decision.

You can download a free fully-functional evaluation version of
Clip-4-Win at our website.

Sincerely,

John Agusta

S & A PC Solutions, Inc.
Clip-4-Win Publisher, Clip-4-Win is Clipper for Windows!
49 Zugibe Court
West Haverstraw, New York 10993-1250

Tel: (914) 429-1258
Fax: (914) 429-1259

WWW: http://www.clip-4-win.com/

CompuServe: 71650.2251

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Quote:

>> o Handle CA-Clipper 5.2D code with fewest number of changes.

>  FiveWin, Clip4Win, xBase++

>> o Ability to produce stand-alone appilcations with fewest
>>   number of external files : dll, etc.
>> o Ability to function as a standard Windows executable in
>>   that is has the ability to use DDE, OLE, ActiveX, etc.
>> o Support for Third-party libraries or equivalent replacements.
>> o 32-bit native-code compilation.
>> o Can it produce a free-standing "Hello World" demo?

>Borland C++Builder 3, that's what I use. In my case it
>was also a great choice for database development.

>>Any help would be most appreciated :)

>For Clipper code your best choice would be xBase++, I think you
>can even use FiveWin with it.

This is very interesting - where could I obtain a Fivewin to
use with Xbase++

Regards
Knut

>Armando

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

Quote:
>>Borland C++Builder 3, that's what I use. In my case it
>>was also a great choice for database development.

>>>Any help would be most appreciated :)

>>For Clipper code your best choice would be xBase++, I think you
>>can even use FiveWin with it.

>This is very interesting - where could I obtain a Fivewin to
>use with Xbase++
>Regards
>Knut

Knut,
Take a look at:

   Linkname: FiveWin ++ for Alaska Xbase++ 1.1
             http://www.fivetech.com/doc.en/fiveppmn.htm

I haven't used this, so I couldn't tell you how it works,
if it exists or how good it is.

Regards,

Armando

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Migrating to Windows platform

You can't Knut.  Well, at least not if you wish to be using it with the Release
version of Xbase++ 1.1

It seems the only version of FiveWin for Xbase++ out there is done only for the
EEP2 (old beta version) and from what I hear, it didn't work very well.

:=JHS

Quote:

> This is very interesting - where could I obtain a Fivewin to
> use with Xbase++

> Regards
> Knut

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. advice wanted (migrating app from PB-dos to Windows)

2. Migrate from clipper to windows?

3. why never migrate to windows, long life to Clipper

4. Migrating to Windows?

5. migrate from summer 87 to windows

6. Migrating to Windows: VO or DELPHI ?

7. Migrating DOS/Clipper Apps to Windows/Clipper Apps

8. Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

9. Fortran progams migrating to Windows

10. Migrating tk windows

11. Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows

12. Publishing a Smalltalk Prog on a windows Platform