Dos Env Read & write
Author Message
 Dos Env Read & write

1#
Can some tell me why , when I set and then retrive a Dos env from a dos
shell (win95) all works well.
BUT when I restart the same app with a shortcut on my desktop.  The dos
varibles I create and retrive are no where to be found during  runtime
?????

2#
Some clipper tools when linked in a protected mode (exospace 53 ) don't
work , and even make my app crash.
ex:
 serialnum()     I use to identify the hard drive's serial number to
prevent software copying.

note : Yes I up-dated with the 53 patch for ca tools   for protected
mode
               Earl Yeo Jr

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dos Env Read & write

wrote (possibly edited):

Quote:
>1#
>Can some tell me why , when I set and then retrive a Dos env from a dos
>shell (win95) all works well.
>BUT when I restart the same app with a shortcut on my desktop.  The dos
>varibles I create and retrive are no where to be found during  runtime
>?????

You may need to run the Clipper app from a batch file that sets the
environment variables when running from a shortcut?

Don

"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep - like my
grandfather - not screaming like the passengers in  his car."

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dos Env Read & write

Quote:

> 1#
> Can some tell me why , when I set and then retrive a Dos env from a dos
> shell (win95) all works well.
> BUT when I restart the same app with a shortcut on my desktop.  The dos
> varibles I create and retrive are no where to be found during  runtime
> ?????

We ran into the same problem with Windows NT.   You must set the value
for Environment Space to 2048 or higher in the Properties - Memory
section
of your shortcut, as we did within NT.  You will get a hidden message
otherwise:

"Out of Environment Space" as you try to use more that the default
available.

Try it.

Quote:

> 2#
> Some clipper tools when linked in a protected mode (exospace 53 ) don't
> work , and even make my app crash.
> ex:
>  serialnum()     I use to identify the hard drive's serial number to
> prevent software copying.

> note : Yes I up-dated with the 53 patch for ca tools   for protected
> mode
> --
>  ==============================================
>                Earl Yeo Jr

> http://pages.infinit.net/infoacce/earl/index.htm

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. can't read env(DISPLAY) from regexp with $env(DISPLAY)

2. Clarification: read/write slow, and TCPSocket and sys{read,write}

3. read/write slow, and TCPSocket and sys{read,write}

4. Can REALBASIC read and write UNIX/DOS data files

5. Reading DOS Files/Written In PASCAL

6. Lib for Reading/Writing to dos drivers

7. How do I read/write ACCESS MDB file from Clipper DOS 5.2

8. Reading a DOS text file and writing out Mac

9. Help on Reading & Writing to Text File

10. Reading & Writing Files in Haskell

11. Reading&Writing NCSA HDF with LV

12. Newbie REXX question: reading & writing HEX value