What kind of format is FPT ?
Author Message
 What kind of format is FPT ?

Hallo,

I have to import data from a clipper application. There are several tables
where a long text field is related to, and these text data are contained in
files with extension FPT. How can I get the data from these files? Can
anyone give me some information about the format?

Thanks for any help,

Anna

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 What kind of format is FPT ?
anna,

you're short on what you are doing with this data, but here goes.

the FPT is a FoxPro compatible file structure. however, data stored in fpt
format is not necessarily readable by fp.  in clipper, these could have been
created by cliipper versions as old as s87 and up to c5.2d with flexfile
library, or native to 5.3b where the flexfile capability is built in.

if the data is strictly text memo's and the block size >32, you should be
able to read them with fp, BUT if the program used arrays or other
flex-specific ways to store the data, you need to use the language and
settings that is was written with.

the only tool i know that can read and display the data is BRO, but that's
with some customization. i do not believe you can output the data however.

perhaps someone else knows of some other magic.

HTH,

Steve McNaughton
Auditron
http://www.auditron.com

Quote:
> Hallo,

> I have to import data from a clipper application. There are several tables
> where a long text field is related to, and these text data are contained
in
> files with extension FPT. How can I get the data from these files? Can
> anyone give me some information about the format?

> Thanks for any help,

> Anna

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 What kind of format is FPT ?

Quote:

> I have to import data from a clipper application. There are several
> tables where a long text field is related to, and these text data are
> contained in files with extension FPT. How can I get the data from
> these files? Can anyone give me some information about the format?

That are memo files for the DBF files that uses FoxPro (DBFCDX) database
driver.If you need to use that tables from a Clipper program, just open
them using the USE <dbf file> VIA "DBFCDX" or set the default database
driver with RddSetDefault("DBFCDX").

--
Jovan Bulajic

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 What kind of format is FPT ?
Anna

.FPT is the extension for a memo file used by the FOXPRO compatable Clipper
RDDs (DBFCDX,SIXDRIVER,COMIX)

To get the data out you'd need FOXPRO or a Clipper/VO utility to access the
DBF/FPT pair and then write them out to a format of your own choosing (eg
comma delimited text).

You might also try ACCESS to open the files using the FOX driver.

Try the demo version of epDBU for starters
    http://www.electricpeople.com

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Quote:
> Hallo,

> I have to import data from a clipper application. There are several tables
> where a long text field is related to, and these text data are contained
in
> files with extension FPT. How can I get the data from these files? Can
> anyone give me some information about the format?

> Thanks for any help,

> Anna

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 What kind of format is FPT ?

Quote:

> You might also try ACCESS to open the files using the FOX driver.

> Steve Quinn

That works fine!!!

Thanks for your help,

Anna

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. FlexFile II Memo to fpt Memo Format

2. .FPT memo file format?

3. Does anyone know the .FPT file format?

4. VHDl format toolsI am ll

5. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

6. Help to read a fpt file

7. ADS question about FPT

8. FPT memo field bloat

9. FPT incompatability

10. Damaged DBT / FPT

11. .FPT file to Text file ???

12. Looking for FlexFile DBV to FoxPro FPT utility