Clipper App. Slow thru NT Server4
Author Message
 Clipper App. Slow thru NT Server4

I have recently upgraded a clients network server from a Pentium 150 with
16Mb  and 400Mb HDD running Novell 4 to a Pentium II/266 64Mb and 4Gb HDD
running NT server 4 the client runs 7 WFWG workstations running a Clipper
Application written by another company. This application intermittently goes
very slow (Slower than before, although it was never fast) the company who
wrote the app. is not interested in doing anything so is there any tweaks I
can do with NT to get it to go.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper App. Slow thru NT Server4

Mark,

Make sure that the NT server does not have a screen saver running.  It
will intermittently break in and make all DOS apps run very slow.

cheers
Rod.

Quote:

> I have recently upgraded a clients network server from a Pentium 150
> with
> 16Mb  and 400Mb HDD running Novell 4 to a Pentium II/266 64Mb and 4Gb
> HDD
> running NT server 4 the client runs 7 WFWG workstations running a
> Clipper
> Application written by another company. This application
> intermittently goes
> very slow (Slower than before, although it was never fast) the company
> who
> wrote the app. is not interested in doing anything so is there any
> tweaks I
> can do with NT to get it to go.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper App. Slow thru NT Server4

Hi Mark!
Don't wonder.
The best server platform for file/server model what Clipper uses is Novell
Netware. By my experience it is better than NT, Unix and so on.
To increase the Clipper network software speed in your case you can
(from simple to hard):
- test config.sys for something like
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.SYS
if there isn't such line (on DOS or  Windows 3.x), write it
- to add some memory into your NT server ( in depenence of server
application set  it can take more virtual memory then it has phisical one
so you have intermittently slow running)
- to tune NT (if you have enought experience)
- to back to Novell platform
- to change your network hardware  to 100 Mbit

Additionally, if you can tune this software to read and write from/on
the server only common data (we create our software to have possibility
to write temporary DBFs and NTXs on local computer), try it.

Good luck!

Andrey Podoplelov
ap 'at' procs 'dot' mplik 'dot' ru

Quote:
>I have recently upgraded a clients network server from a Pentium 150 with
>16Mb  and 400Mb HDD running Novell 4 to a Pentium II/266 64Mb and 4Gb HDD
>running NT server 4 the client runs 7 WFWG workstations running a Clipper
>Application written by another company. This application intermittently
goes
>very slow (Slower than before, although it was never fast) the company who
>wrote the app. is not interested in doing anything so is there any tweaks I
>can do with NT to get it to go.

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper Apps running Slow in NT

2. NT Printing Slow From Clipper 5.2 App

3. NT srv slow with mult clip apps

4. App slow in NT SP6 ?

5. NT server app slow with only 1 user

6. Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0

7. Clipper apps running SLOW!!!

8. Norton AntiVirus slows Clipper app on a network ???

9. Clipper apps slows under some W2000 computers

10. Clipper under Windows NT : SLOW ?

11. Clipper Win NT Problem (slow)

12. SP 6 Win NT -> slowing clipper programs