Clipper v5.x DBU utility with S87 DBF'S
Author Message
 Clipper v5.x DBU utility with S87 DBF'S

Does anyone know if there are any problems using a Clipper v5.x compiled
version of the DBU utility on S87 created and maintained DBF's.  I just
had a problem adding the 101st field to a S87 DBF on a "legacy"
application and seemed to have problems (received a "OK to change field
names" when I wasn't attempting to - if I said yes, it added my field,
however loaded it with the value in the following field).  However, the
field whose data was "stolen" was still there.  I figured its easier to
just use the v5.x DBU than try to debug the S87 DBU.  Any thoughts?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:33:52 GMT
 Clipper v5.x DBU utility with S87 DBF'S
Hi kbrowe????

Quote:

>Does anyone know if there are any problems using a Clipper v5.x compiled
>version of the DBU utility on S87 created and maintained DBF's.  I just
>had a problem adding the 101st field to a S87 DBF on a "legacy"
>application and seemed to have problems (received a "OK to change field
>names" when I wasn't attempting to - if I said yes, it added my field,
>however loaded it with the value in the following field).  However, the
>field whose data was "stolen" was still there.  I figured its easier to
>just use the v5.x DBU than try to debug the S87 DBU.  Any thoughts?

DBU in it's original source code limited the number of fields allowed.
You had to modify the source code and re-compile to allow more fields.
I don't know if this related to your problem. Personally I have not
experienced your problems.

I have used both S87 DBU and 5.2x DBU on S87 dbfs without problems.

It is worthwhile noting though; that you cannot change a field name
and it's type in the one operation. IIRC disater will strike!!

Regards Ray Manning
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:07:11 GMT
 Clipper v5.x DBU utility with S87 DBF'S
Ray, thanks for responding.  I had previously changed the DBU source to
allow for an increased number of fields and just recently re-compiled
it with the S87 4am version of clipper.lib when the trouble began.  In
my problem reported, all I was trying to do is add a new field and DBU
was treating it as changing the name of an existing field.  I think the
simplist thing to do is use my DBU 5.x compiled version as long as
there were no issues with doing that.  Thanks again.

Quote:
> Hi kbrowe????

> >Does anyone know if there are any problems using a Clipper v5.x
compiled
> >version of the DBU utility on S87 created and maintained DBF's.  I
just
> >had a problem adding the 101st field to a S87 DBF on a "legacy"
> >application and seemed to have problems (received a "OK to change
field
> >names" when I wasn't attempting to - if I said yes, it added my
field,
> >however loaded it with the value in the following field).  However,
the
> >field whose data was "stolen" was still there.  I figured its easier
> >just use the v5.x DBU than try to debug the S87 DBU.  Any thoughts?

> DBU in it's original source code limited the number of fields allowed.
> You had to modify the source code and re-compile to allow more fields.
> I don't know if this related to your problem. Personally I have not
> experienced your problems.

> I have used both S87 DBU and 5.2x DBU on S87 dbfs without problems.

> It is worthwhile noting though; that you cannot change a field name
> and it's type in the one operation. IIRC disater will strike!!

> Regards Ray Manning
> Melbourne, Australia

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:52:11 GMT

1. DBU DBF FILE nad FOXPRO 2.6A dbf file

2. Unlocking .dbf's and dbu

3. DBU for clipper summer'87

4. DBU (S87 version)

5. Limits of Clipper DBF's and NTX's

6. Clipper 'S87 memo

7. Clipper's Provider for V5.2

8. DBU - dbase utility

9. Is DBU utility Y2K compliant ?

10. Windows based DBU like utility

11. Which is best DBF editor for viewing Clipper based dbf files( windows)

12. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)