Windows NT not releasing the OPENED files
Author Message
 Windows NT not releasing the OPENED files

Hi,

I experienced the NT seems like not releasing the file (dbf) that was
opened when I run the application from the workstation immediately after
I already quit from the application. The second time when I try to go
in again the application give me the access denied message for the files
that is still opened from the previous session.

Any idea of why this things happened in NT?

Thanks in advance.
Gavin

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows NT not releasing the OPENED files
Gavin,

There is a registry setting for NT that controls this behavior. NT optimizes
file opens/closes by holding open the file control block on the server for a
set amount of time in an attempt to reduce disk i/o. You can use regedit.exe
on the server to check/change the following:

From Microsoft's Knowlege Base:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
CacheFileTimeout     REG_DWORD       Number of seconds
Default: 10
Specifies the maximum time that a file will be left in the cache after the
application has closed the file.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/winresource/dnwinnt/S82D7.HTM for an
explanation of this and other related registry entries.

if "CacheFileTimeout" does not exist in the above location, add it as
REG_DWORD value of zero. You should also check their knowlege base for
"Oplocks", another optimization scheme that has caused problems with file
sharing under NT.

I probably don't have to remind you to always back up the registry before
editing it directly... :)

- Kevin.

()()

Quote:
> Hi,

> I experienced the NT seems like not releasing the file (dbf) that was
> opened when I run the application from the workstation immediately after
> I already quit from the application. The second time when I try to go
> in again the application give me the access denied message for the files
> that is still opened from the previous session.

> Any idea of why this things happened in NT?

> Thanks in advance.
> Gavin

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows NT not releasing the OPENED files
Kevin,

Thanks for your guide. Will give a try.

Best regards,
Gavin

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ***CLARION5A IS NOT OPENING WINDOWS NT FILES****

2. NT Server not releasing Opened DBF

3. Can not open file on Nt Server

4. NT Server not releasing some files on program close

5. Files opened with Windows NT

6. Windows NT file open error

7. not enough file handles on Windows NT

8. opening file vs. opening pipeline on NT.

9. Opening file vs. opening pipeline on NT.

10. File Open, or not Open, question

11. error 37 File not open using a variable file name

12. opening files in windows and putting seperators in windows