Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4
Author Message
 Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4

Hi,

I have some problem with my Clipper 5.2e after migrating to Windows NT4.0
recently.
1. I used to check whether a directory exists using the native File()
function in Clipper e.g.:
If !File("\MyClip\Hotel\Files\NUL")
  Cls
  ? "Please create subdirectory called 'Files' under '\MyClip\Hotel'
directory"
End
It works fine under DOS and Windows 9x, unfortunately it always return False
under Win NT 4.0.
Anybody know how to do it using the native function from Clipper 5.2e?

2. I got "extended error 183" when I try to execute DOS command "md" such in
! MD Files or Run MD Files
It used to work smoothly under Win 9x or DOS. Thanks goodness it works with:
! MKDIR Files
Is it a bug or MD is kind of bad tradition to be kicked away?

3. Is there any way I could add more handles to the Config.sys and/or
config.nt?
I've add Files=128 to both config and restart the system, but seems unable
to alter the situation.

Anybody kindly give a clue?

TIA
Donny

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4
Donny,

Quote:
>1. I used to check whether a directory exists using the native File()
>function in Clipper e.g.:
>If !File("\MyClip\Hotel\Files\NUL")
>  Cls
>  ? "Please create subdirectory called 'Files' under '\MyClip\Hotel'
>directory"
>End
>It works fine under DOS and Windows 9x, unfortunately it always return False
>under Win NT 4.0.
>Anybody know how to do it using the native function from Clipper 5.2e?

how about something like:

dir:=directory("\myclip\hotel\files","D")
if empty(dir)
        //it's not there
endif

Quote:
>2. I got "extended error 183" when I try to execute DOS command "md" such in
>! MD Files or Run MD Files
>It used to work smoothly under Win 9x or DOS. Thanks goodness it works with:
>! MKDIR Files
>Is it a bug or MD is kind of bad tradition to be kicked away?

Have you tried Blinker and swapruncmd()?

Quote:
>3. Is there any way I could add more handles to the Config.sys and/or
>config.nt?
>I've add Files=128 to both config and restart the system, but seems unable
>to alter the situation.

You are changing the \winnt\system32\config.nt file?

hth

Mike

_
That's not a bug, it's an "Undocumented Feature".

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:38:14 +0800, "Donny Harimurti"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have some problem with my Clipper 5.2e after migrating to Windows NT4.0
>recently.
>1. I used to check whether a directory exists using the native File()
>function in Clipper e.g.:
>If !File("\MyClip\Hotel\Files\NUL")
>  Cls
>  ? "Please create subdirectory called 'Files' under '\MyClip\Hotel'
>directory"
>End
>It works fine under DOS and Windows 9x, unfortunately it always return False
>under Win NT 4.0.

Worse yet, it always returns TRUE under Netware...

This is a bad way to check.

Go get isdir.obj (and asm source) from PBMake on my www site.

Quote:
>Anybody know how to do it using the native function from Clipper 5.2e?

You can do it with directory(), but I find the above obj works
perfectly.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      Reality is the leading cause of stress
       among those who are in touch with it.

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4
Thanks Mike,
Thanks Phil,

It works perfectly now, sometimes I never realize the same pliers could also
cut wire instead.

WM Regards,
donny

Quote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:38:14 +0800, "Donny Harimurti"

> >Hi,

> >I have some problem with my Clipper 5.2e after migrating to Windows NT4.0
> >recently.
> >1. I used to check whether a directory exists using the native File()
> >function in Clipper e.g.:
> >If !File("\MyClip\Hotel\Files\NUL")
> >  Cls
> >  ? "Please create subdirectory called 'Files' under '\MyClip\Hotel'
> >directory"
> >End
> >It works fine under DOS and Windows 9x, unfortunately it always return
False
> >under Win NT 4.0.

> Worse yet, it always returns TRUE under Netware...

> This is a bad way to check.

> Go get isdir.obj (and asm source) from PBMake on my www site.

> >Anybody know how to do it using the native function from Clipper 5.2e?

> You can do it with directory(), but I find the above obj works
> perfectly.

> --

>         Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
>          FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
>       Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
>   Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

>       Reality is the leading cause of stress
>        among those who are in touch with it.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DIRECTORY function won't work under NT Server 4.0

2. Clipper File Security On WIN NT

3. PL/1 for NT: Won't LINK object files correctly

4. REXX won't execute .BAT file on NT Server

5. Win-help file does'nt show contents

6. Image viewing program won't work on Win NT

7. Need to Declare a QuickTime function on Win, but dunno which's Win QT DLL

8. File locking in Win 95/Win NT

9. 'exec' Problems under Win/NT

10. Clipper 5.3b and Pentium III - Won't run on new CPU's

11. Clipper Win NT Problem (slow)

12. SP 6 Win NT -> slowing clipper programs