TRANSFERING CLIPPER PROGRAM FROM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW
Author Message
 TRANSFERING CLIPPER PROGRAM FROM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW

Quote:
> HELLO.  I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A NEW SYSTEM AND WOULD LIKE TO GET MY
> CLIPPER FILES TO WORK ON IT.  AFTER TRANSFERING THE FILES I KEPT
> ENCOUNTERING AN INVALID PASSWORD ERROR, EVEN AFTER SETTING MY OLD HARD
DRIVE
> AS A SLAVE ON THE NEW SYSTEM.  ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO IN THIS
CASE.
> THE PERSON THAT MADE THE PROGRAM FOR ME IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.  CAN I
HAVE
> THE FILES WORKING IN ACCESS THIS WAY I DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH THE OLD
> PROGRAM AND I CAN MODIFY IT AT ANY TIME ALSO.  IS THERE ANY THING THAT
> EXECUTES AT THE BEGINING OF MY SYSTEM EXECUTION THAT TELLS IT WHAT THE
> PASSWORD IS.

Hi NEDAL,

But what you say it's not very simple to guess what's going on but it is
possible that passwords are encrypted and that the encryption depends on
some "calculation" that has to do with the machine itself, like the BIOS
number or the operating system version, for example. That behaves like a
copying protection utility, and if you don't have access to the Clipper
code, it might be complicated. You could try identifying the password file,
access it with DBASE, for example, and try to see what's there, if
possible. Another way would be to use a Clipper reverse engeneering
program, like Valkyrie for example, and coonvert the EXE file to it's
original source, just to have a look at the password routine.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

--
Estevao Raminhos

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. TRANSFERING CLIPPER PROGRAM FORM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW

2. Help: Running old Clip Ver on 486 or newer Computers

3. New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

4. My old FORTRAN Powerstation 1.0 does not work on my new computer, in WIN98SE

5. New updates needed for an old computer language humor piece

6. Fortran for old Computer Automation mini-computers

7. Recovery (data) of an old clipper program

8. Old Clipper Program

9. Old clipper program

10. Clipper Compiler & Apps in new computers

11. .NET Programming or Teaching an Old Dinosaur New Tricks

12. Setting computer time from clipper program