Anyone know how to link Clipper .DBF's to an Access 8.0 database
Author Message
 Anyone know how to link Clipper .DBF's to an Access 8.0 database

Hi

I am trying to setup an access database with linked tables to a Clipper
database .dbf's, however Access  does not recognise Clippers .NTX indexes,
anyone know of a workaround, how about ODBC ?

Cheers

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone know how to link Clipper .DBF's to an Access 8.0 database
You'll need to use the same RDD for Clipper and Access to be able to use the
same indices.  The easiest route is to change your Clipper RDD to one of the
FoxPro varieties (SIx, Commix).  Going the other way (with a Clipper ODBC
RDD) means having to contend with 16-bit drivers for Clipper and possibly
32-bit drivers for Access.  There are some options here, though (Trilogy
Technologies - Open Path Clipper; Sequetor - CodeBase 6.0).

Quote:
>Hi

>I am trying to setup an access database with linked tables to a Clipper
>database .dbf's, however Access  does not recognise Clippers .NTX indexes,
>anyone know of a workaround, how about ODBC ?

>Cheers

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone know how to link Clipper .DBF's to an Access 8.0 database

Quote:
>Hi

>I am trying to setup an access database with linked tables to a Clipper
>database .dbf's, however Access  does not recognise Clippers .NTX indexes,
>anyone know of a workaround, how about ODBC ?

>Cheers

If like us you are using Access just to extract information then link to
the dbf(s) you want and ignore the indexes. We have never actually
tested out any conflicts but usually don't link in if anyone is working
on the Clipper application. We do re-build the Clipper indexes via the
application after we have finished with Access. Generally we don't write
to the dbf's although we have done so but again we don't do it while
anyone is in the application and we make sure we rebuild the indexes
before the application is run properly. This has caused no problems to
date and has enabled us to extract MIS reports that weren't built into
the Clipper applications. It also allows some of us non Clipper
programmers to modify (albeit data only) dbf's in certain extreme
instances.
--
Richard Knight                               East Kent Packers Ltd
Information Systems Manager                  Bysing Wood Road

http://www.ekp-ltd.demon.co.uk               Kent
Tel:01795 523227                             ME13 7UE

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Anyone know how to link Clipper .DBF's to an Access 8.0 database
What I did to keep indexes updated via Access 97, was to change from DBFNTX
to DBFCDX.
This way Access thinks its a FoxPro file.  Another way to work around this
is to use DBFNDX, the dBase III drivers, Access will also see this type of
index.    If you are only going to retrieve information from a Clipper dbf
just link the table in and use SQL commands to create a recordset in the
Order you want the data in.  Access has a terrific help file with just about
everything you need to know.

Quote:
>Hi

>I am trying to setup an access database with linked tables to a Clipper
>database .dbf's, however Access  does not recognise Clippers .NTX indexes,
>anyone know of a workaround, how about ODBC ?

>Cheers

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Importing Clipper DBF's into Microsoft Access

2. Anyone know what dbf,cdx files are?

3. Access 97 linking to DBF,NTX, DBT Files

4. Limits of Clipper DBF's and NTX's

5. Large database (.dbf) with Clipper 5.2e

6. Can clipper database *.dbf protected by password ??

7. Anyone Know of Verilog Model Database?

8. linking Tasm obj's or lib's to (ugh, I know) Pascal

9. Clipper DBF->DBV link format

10. Access Databases without knowing File Structure

11. Clipper .dbf to Access? Help

12. dbf files with clipper indexing and access forms