To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK
Author Message
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

Rick

--
Dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Wilt u
direct contact met ons opnemen indien deze e-mail bij vergissing bij u

Deze e-mail (inclusief gegevensbestanden die daarmee verzonden zijn) zijn,
naar onze mening vrij van virussen. Wij adviseren u ten zeerste de
bestanden, alvorens deze voor het doel te gebruiken, nogmaals op de
aanwezigheid van virussen te onderzoeken en indien nodig, de noodzakelijke
maatregelen te nemen om vervuiling van uw software en bestanden te
voorkomen. Wij dragen geen enkele verantwoordelijkheid voor de, door het
gebruik van de door ons aan u verstrekte bestanden, ontstane schade.

Directie Profix IT Solutions BV

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:16:52 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:

> I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

The short answer is that dBase Inc(Alan Katz), the new owners of dbase, are
just now getting around to marketing their product.  dBase 7.5 is history.
There is no dBase 2000 product.  The current product is dB2K using the dBL
language.  It is definitely worth looking at.  Check out the news groups at
news.dbase2000.com(maybe also news.dbase.com)
--

Regards
Tom

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:48:31 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:
> I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

> Rick

Because they're *dead*, man.  Even Visual Foxpro is fading fast.  98%
of all new corporate software development is either in some variant of
Visual Basic, or Java.  XBase is a thing of the past.  SQL Server is
the only way to go.

Ducking for cover,

John M.

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:45:38 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK
Rick

Quote:
> I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

Probably the same reason you don't see a lot of posts about Delphi/C++ here,
they have their own forums/ngs<g>.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:43:18 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK
Hi John,

Quote:
> Because they're *dead*, man.  Even Visual Foxpro is fading fast.  98%
> of all new corporate software development is either in some variant of
> Visual Basic, or Java.  XBase is a thing of the past.
> Ducking for cover,

You really should <g>.... even companies like the german
"Deutsche Post AG" (one of the largest employers here in Germany)
are using a brandnew Software in their post offices all around Germany
which  is written in Xbase++ ....

for details see

http://www.alaska-software.com/e/press/article_0201.html#jan

and

http://www.alaska-software.com/e/press/article_0301.html#02

.....so db2k may be dead, but Xbase as a _language_ is
_definately_ not !!!

There are even other products like FlagShip that give you the
opportunity to use the power of Xbase++ on platforms like Linux.

Thomas Braun

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:43:59 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:
> [SNIP]                  XBase is a thing of the past.  SQL Server is
> the only way to go.

A database server is a replacement for a language? What an odd thing to say.

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:50:09 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:
> I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

Because this is comp.lang.CLIPPER?

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:50:47 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

> There are even other products like FlagShip that give you the
> opportunity to use the power of Xbase++ on platforms like Linux.

ooops, this should read "power of the Xbase language"....

Thomas Braun

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:09:25 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK
Laura,

Please watch the use of 4 letter words.  We save them for Microsoft.

Mike

Quote:
> I hardly ever hear anything about these products. Why ?

> Rick

> --
> Dit e-mailbericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Wilt u
> direct contact met ons opnemen indien deze e-mail bij vergissing bij u
> terecht is gekomen? Wij verzoeken u in dat geval de e-mail te vernietigen,
> de inhoud ervan niet te gebruiken en niet onder derden te verspreiden,
omdat
> het bericht vertrouwelijke informatie kan bevatten, beschermd door een
> beroepsgeheim.

> Deze e-mail (inclusief gegevensbestanden die daarmee verzonden zijn) zijn,
> naar onze mening vrij van virussen. Wij adviseren u ten zeerste de
> bestanden, alvorens deze voor het doel te gebruiken, nogmaals op de
> aanwezigheid van virussen te onderzoeken en indien nodig, de noodzakelijke
> maatregelen te nemen om vervuiling van uw software en bestanden te
> voorkomen. Wij dragen geen enkele verantwoordelijkheid voor de, door het
> gebruik van de door ons aan u verstrekte bestanden, ontstane schade.

> Directie Profix IT Solutions BV

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:17:27 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:

>> [SNIP]                  XBase is a thing of the past.  SQL Server is
>> the only way to go.

>A database server is a replacement for a language? What an odd thing to say.

But not unusual.

Every WEEK or so someone asks me if I think they should use "Unix or
SQL" for a project.  Or "is C++ better than 32 bits?"  Or "CGI vs.
Java?"  (which _almost_ makes sense if you assume a couple of things)
Or "Win2000 or Perl?"  And so on.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:29:35 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK

Quote:
> Every WEEK or so someone asks me if I think they should use "Unix or SQL"
> for a project. Or "is C++ better than 32 bits?" Or "CGI vs. Java?" (which
> _almost_ makes sense if you assume a couple of things) Or "Win2000 or
> Perl?" And so on.

If it wasn't for the fact that I read this stuff all over Usenet too I'd
think you're pulling my leg.

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:27:50 GMT
 To everyone : Visual dbase 7.5 or dBase 2000 SHIT OR OK
I think you can track it all the way back to "should I use Cobol or dBase
II".

Mike

Quote:

> > Every WEEK or so someone asks me if I think they should use "Unix or
SQL"
> > for a project. Or "is C++ better than 32 bits?" Or "CGI vs. Java?"
(which
> > _almost_ makes sense if you assume a couple of things) Or "Win2000 or
> > Perl?" And so on.

> If it wasn't for the fact that I read this stuff all over Usenet too I'd
> think you're pulling my leg.

> --
> Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release
functions.
> http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for
Linux.
> http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
> http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:00:44 GMT

1. Visual dbase 7.5 vs Vis FoxPro 6

2. Converting from DBase III to DBase IV and RDD

3. Converting dBase lll to dBase IV

4. Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

5. CA-Visual Objects vs. Visual Dbase

6. Visual dBase vs. Visual Basic

7. HOWTO move dos 5.2 dbase app to 2000\XP

8. SEEK problem (OK in dBase ...)

9. Visual Dbase EXPERIENCES

10. VISUAL DBASE/ CONTRACT/ PA

11. Opinions on Visual dBase