Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?
Author Message
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

We have some new apps being developed in BC++ 4.5, that will use
the Borland Database engine (V 2.0 I beleive).  It does not like
to use NDX indexes, so we wish to use MDX style (dBase IV).

The Borland engine insists on 'restructuring' the Clipper (dBase III)
dbfs into dBase IV dbfs to perform and support his indexing and
processing.

I am trying to create a conversion routine in Clipper to take care
of this step. I have tried several approaches using the RDDs, but none
have been successful.  By successful, I mean the resulting database
files are not recognized as dBase IV data files (by Borland engine).
The only thing I have not tried is a record by record copy from one
RDD file to the other.  Before I do that, I'd like to be sure if it
is Borland engine's problem or mine ?

Anybody tried this conversion process before ?  Here is my pseudocode...

//Attempt # 9
USE DB3FILE VIA 'DBFNTX'                //  Get Clipper structure
aStruct := dbstruct()                   //  in an array...
close all
dbcreate("DB4FILE", aStruct, "DBFMDX")      //  Create dBase IV version
USE DB4FILE
APPEND FROM DB3FILE                     //  and suck in data...

It would appear that although the new file is one byte larger and
quite different that the source file, it is still not seen as dBaseIV
by Borland engine.

I don't have DBIV to verify this.  Maybe some kind soul could try these
few lines and tell me if dBase IV sees it as a legit data file ?
Any other suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks
Gary

Fri, 02 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?
This is similar to a problem that has confronted us with respect
to a conversion from Clipper to Delphi.  Once we have converted
the files form Dbase III to Dbase IV format for use in Delphi,
there appears to be no way to convert the files back to the Dbase
III format.  Is there a method to convert files from Dbase IV to
Dbase III format or this totally out of the question?

Stephen Smith

Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?
Gary,
  I thought DBFNTX was clipper, DBFNDX was dBASEII, and DBFMDX was dBASEIV.
So, you request the ones you want, use file via whichever and voila (I hope).
The via is important. Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you using NTX
if your data is NDX?
  Gail

Quote:

>We have some new apps being developed in BC++ 4.5, that will use
>the Borland Database engine (V 2.0 I beleive).  It does not like
>to use NDX indexes, so we wish to use MDX style (dBase IV).

>The Borland engine insists on 'restructuring' the Clipper (dBase III)
>dbfs into dBase IV dbfs to perform and support his indexing and
>processing.

>I am trying to create a conversion routine in Clipper to take care
>of this step. I have tried several approaches using the RDDs, but none
>have been successful.  By successful, I mean the resulting database
>files are not recognized as dBase IV data files (by Borland engine).
>The only thing I have not tried is a record by record copy from one
>RDD file to the other.  Before I do that, I'd like to be sure if it
>is Borland engine's problem or mine ?

>Anybody tried this conversion process before ?  Here is my pseudocode...

>//Attempt # 9
>USE DB3FILE VIA 'DBFNTX'                //  Get Clipper structure
>aStruct := dbstruct()                   //  in an array...
>close all
>dbcreate("DB4FILE", aStruct, "DBFMDX")  //  Create dBase IV version
>USE DB4FILE
>APPEND FROM DB3FILE                     //  and suck in data...

>It would appear that although the new file is one byte larger and
>quite different that the source file, it is still not seen as dBaseIV
>by Borland engine.

>I don't have DBIV to verify this.  Maybe some kind soul could try these
>few lines and tell me if dBase IV sees it as a legit data file ?
>Any other suggestions appreciated.

>Many thanks
>Gary

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

Quote:

> This is similar to a problem that has confronted us with respect
> to a conversion from Clipper to Delphi.  Once we have converted
> the files form Dbase III to Dbase IV format for use in Delphi,
> there appears to be no way to convert the files back to the Dbase
> III format.  Is there a method to convert files from Dbase IV to
> Dbase III format or this totally out of the question?

> Stephen Smith

As far as I know, the only difference in dbase III and dbase IV file formats is
when it comes to memo fields. To convert dbase IV files back to dbase III
compatible formats, at the dot prompt type:

COPY <filename> TO <some new filename> TYPE DBME

Hope this helps.
--
Chad Marlow

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and
don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
immensity of the sea.  -- Antoine de Saint Exupery.

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

Quote:

>This is similar to a problem that has confronted us with respect
>to a conversion from Clipper to Delphi.  Once we have converted
>the files form Dbase III to Dbase IV format for use in Delphi,
>there appears to be no way to convert the files back to the Dbase
>III format.  Is there a method to convert files from Dbase IV to
>Dbase III format or this totally out of the question?

Ran into the very same thing after porting a large application to
FlagShip on an RS/6000.  We have Dbase IV on UNIX, but since it's memo
fields are incompatible with DBIII style records, I can't use it to do
any work on my databases.  It's either DBU (modified) or copy it back
to my PC, work on it, then back to the RS.

It's a {*filter*} with Dbase isn't even completely DBF compatible any
more...

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,
nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States
respectively, or to the people."      The 10th Amendment

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

Quote:

>This is similar to a problem that has confronted us with respect
>to a conversion from Clipper to Delphi.  Once we have converted
>the files form Dbase III to Dbase IV format for use in Delphi,
>there appears to be no way to convert the files back to the Dbase
>III format.  Is there a method to convert files from Dbase IV to
>Dbase III format or this totally out of the question?

I have avoided dBase of all flavours as much as possible, but for sure
in III you could export and import files as "ASCII delimited".  I
suspect you can do the same in dBase IV.  This is definitely the
lowest common denominator, but I know it worked well in III.  It also
works in Clipper.

Duncan

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Converting from DBase III to DBase IV and RDD

2. Converting dBase lll to dBase IV

3. Converting topspeed->Dbase III/IV

4. dBase III or IV using CW 5.5 F

5. convert DBASE IV ver. 2.0 to Foxpro

6. Read from a dBase.IV file

7. URGENT: dBase IV File Driver Problems

8. dBase 3 / IV & Clipper files

9. Summer '87 Dbase IV Files

10. Q: NTX files in dBase IV?

11. Help: Using dBase IV files in Clipper

12. DBASEIII OR DBASE IV FILE