CA Cans VO ?
Author Message
 CA Cans VO ?

around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
moment would be the last ..

                AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

Has anyone else heard this ?
        (If so it would be rather unusual, as this sort of thing only
happens AFTER I have invested the maximum amount of time, effort and
money into a project !)

Les
"Point and Click "
A sure sign your gun is empty.
Les Redding
Qld. Australia

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

> around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
> Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
> moment would be the last ..

>                 AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

> Has anyone else heard this ?
>         (If so it would be rather unusual, as this sort of thing only
> happens AFTER I have invested the maximum amount of time, effort and
> money into a project !)

I think this has reference to an announcment at CA-World that Clipper and
VO 1.x (16-bit) were "frozen" products.  IOW no new development.  VO 2.x
(32-bit), however, is still alive.

HTH,
John

--
John P. Marshall
I.S. Associates

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

>>around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
>>Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
>>moment would be the last ..

>>                AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

>>Has anyone else heard this ?

>Every month or two for the last three years.  (yawn)

>Tell me, troll, who is Christopher Key and what makes you think he speaks
>for CA?

>--

>Why should I change or hide my return address to deter spammers?
>I just loop the garbage right back at 'em.

I believe that "Christopher Key" is the person who also goes by "Skip Key".  He
is a very intelligent programmer who has been with SofDesign for many years and
has done some key work for them.  What I do not know is the extent of his
contacts at CA, whether he made the assertions attributed to him, and whether
any comments he may have made were accurately conveyed.  From what I know of
Skip, he is someone I like and respect, but....

Since Skip isn't an employee of CA anyway, I guess we'll need to wait and see
what the official line is.

Richard Mitchell

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

>around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
>Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
>moment would be the last ..

>            AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

>Has anyone else heard this ?

Every month or two for the last three years.  (yawn)

Tell me, troll, who is Christopher Key and what makes you think he speaks
for CA?

--

Why should I change or hide my return address to deter spammers?
I just loop the garbage right back at 'em.

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

>>around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
>>Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
>>moment would be the last ..

>>                AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

>>Has anyone else heard this ?

>Every month or two for the last three years.  (yawn)

>Tell me, troll, who is Christopher Key and what makes you think he speaks
>for CA?

troll?

Skip is not the type of person who would claim to speak for CA.

IMO,  Clipper would not have survived long enough to be bought
by Computer Associates without Skip's public assistance in the
early 5.0 days...

FWIW, it also appears to me that CA is less than enthusiastic
about VO - CIS forum tech support is currently replying to
messages posted 6 weeks ago. I've never seen such a lag.
Tell those UG types to keep a hand on their wallet when they
hit the Big Apple next week.<g>

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

>>>around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from
>>>Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the
>>>moment would be the last ..

>>>            AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

>>>Has anyone else heard this ?

>>Every month or two for the last three years.  (yawn)

>>Tell me, troll, who is Christopher Key and what makes you think he speaks
>>for CA?
>troll?

>Skip is not the type of person who would claim to speak for CA.

My point exactly.  (I do know who Skip is; the question was
rhetorical.)

Quote:
>IMO,  Clipper would not have survived long enough to be bought
>by Computer Associates without Skip's public assistance in the
>early 5.0 days...

Agreed.

Quote:
>FWIW, it also appears to me that CA is less than enthusiastic
>about VO - CIS forum tech support is currently replying to
>messages posted 6 weeks ago. I've never seen such a lag.

Eyeeeesh.  What happened?  Did Bud get hit by a truck or something?

Quote:
>Tell those UG types to keep a hand on their wallet when they
>hit the Big Apple next week.<g>

ME?  You tell them, Jo.  :-)

--

Why should I change or hide my return address to deter spammers?
I just loop the garbage right back at 'em.

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

[Reply]

With regards to putting these rumours to rest, I guess CA thinks that
this is a case of "dammed if you do" and "dammed if you don't".  If
they deny the rumour, will we believe them?  If they stay silent, will
WE believe the rumour?

I'd prefer someone from CA to be monitoring this group - that would
give me some confidence in their future intentions.  Such a person
would soon establish the CA presence which we have missed since the
departure (?) of Sean Bucknell and maybe the rumours wouldn't start.

My gut feeling is that CA will continue to develop and support 32-bit
VO - it is such a good product.

Don the Optimist

wrote (possibly edited):

>>>Every month or two for the last three years.  (yawn)

>>>Tell me, troll, who is Christopher Key and what makes you think he speaks
>>>for CA?
>>troll?

>>Skip is not the type of person who would claim to speak for CA.

>My point exactly.  (I do know who Skip is; the question was
>rhetorical.)

>>IMO,  Clipper would not have survived long enough to be bought
>>by Computer Associates without Skip's public assistance in the
>>early 5.0 days...

>Agreed.

>>FWIW, it also appears to me that CA is less than enthusiastic
>>about VO - CIS forum tech support is currently replying to
>>messages posted 6 weeks ago. I've never seen such a lag.

>Eyeeeesh.  What happened?  Did Bud get hit by a truck or something?

>>Tell those UG types to keep a hand on their wallet when they
>>hit the Big Apple next week.<g>

>ME?  You tell them, Jo.  :-)

Don

Don Andersen

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

>FWIW, it also appears to me that CA is less than enthusiastic
>about VO - CIS forum tech support is currently replying to
>messages posted 6 weeks ago. I've never seen such a lag.

This is absolute true. I getting real sick of working around bugs without
their help.
Some problems I has are going on for more than half a year. And if I ask
them for
a status there is simply no reply!

I've been a VO user since the beta but never has such bad experiance as the
last months.

I hope this gets better.

Gerard

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

Hallo Gerard.

I have been a Clipper programmer since the era was just a "dbase compiler". It
seemed natural to me to migrate to CA-VO and so I did. The language is
terrific, very well constructed and easy to use. But after a year of learning
and evaluating, I decided NOT TO USE IT and turn to Delphi instead. The reason
? Computer Associates ! They can not convice me that they will support CA-VO.
Instead, I think that they have allready "burried" it.
It is painfull and ugly for me to write in Pascal. I really think that I could
be a lot happier with CA-VO. But what about user acceptance ? Have you really
seen  signs of us -programmers- giving a warm welcome to the new language ?  If
I judje from the lack of commercial products (libraries, books, user groups
etc) I do not think that CAVO will live for much longer.
It is a pitty thow.

I would like to start a discussion about the much needed migration from
Clipper. Has anybody turned to CAVO ? What are the languages that could do with
us clipperheads ?

Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

Quote:
> [Reply]
> With regards to putting these rumours to rest, I guess CA thinks that
> this is a case of "dammed if you do" and "dammed if you don't".  If

My guess is that they could install a complete new department if they'd had to
respond to every rumour...

Quote:
> would soon establish the CA presence which we have missed since the
> departure (?) of Sean Bucknell and maybe the rumours wouldn't start.

I think Sean moved to the cl-vo conf...

Anne.

Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 CA Cans VO ?

[reply]

The rumour machine is obviously in motion again. I have just signed up for
Technicon 97 in Australia and there is a very heavy presence and supprt for
VO at this conference. There are heaps of workshops, discussion by
developers and vendors.

I will ONLY believe VO is dead when I can no longer buy it. Suely these
rumours are started by the 'we did not land on the moon - {*filter*}!!'

Phil - Sherlock Software - Australia

[snip]

around about migrating), I received a rather disturbing email from >
Christopher Key of SofDesign saying the version on the web at the  moment
would be the last ..
Quote:

>            AS IT APPEARS  CA HAS DECIDED TO CAN VO.

> Has anyone else heard this ?

Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 42 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Directory() function in ca vo 1.0c(2) v ca vo 2.0

2. CA Commitment To CA-Clipper And CA-VO - A Quote From clcvo

3. CA clipper -> CA VO 2.5

4. !CA-VO True 32-bit CA-Clipper for Windows

5. Question about CA RET with CA VO 1.0c

6. CA releases CA-VO SDK

7. CA-VO or CA-dBFast storing large binary objects

8. CA-VO - New thread: VO - ODBC - RDBMS

9. Problem in multimdia software development with CA-Clipper / CA-VO

10. xBase++ vs. CA-VO

11. CA VO 2.5 documentation

12. CA-VO Developer Needed