NT and files in use
Author Message
 NT and files in use

(is there an NT group where this should be posted?)
  Novell (3.12) had a great utility where I could look up a file and list
the users who had the file open.  Great for tracing who may have had a
record locked, an exclusive use on the file, or who has an .EXE open so I
could get them to close it to copy an updated .EXE.
  Now that we're using NT, we have only a very limited utility that lists
all the users and the files they had open at the time I started the
utility.  No way to look up individual files except by scrolling down the
list of users.  By the time I get to the bottom of the 30-user list,
invariably someone else has opened the program and/or file.
  Is there an NT utility that can be used to click on a file, then
right-click to see who's using it?  It doesn't seem that this would be too
complicated, so somebody must have written some sort of utility.
  I'd do it, but since we're phasing out our clipper apps, I can't purchase
any new clipper-compatible network tools, and the old Clipper Tools
functions don't do squat for NT (Of course not, NT wasn't around "way back
then!")
Paul Van House

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 NT and files in use

Quote:
>   Novell (3.12) had a great utility where I could look up a file and list
> the users who had the file open.  Great for tracing who may have had a
> record locked, an exclusive use on the file, or who has an .EXE open so I
> could get them to close it to copy an updated .EXE.

If your files are located on an NT server, you can use the command 'NET FILE' to
get a list of all files that are locked by the workstations.

You have to run the command on the server, though. You could install a remote
shell, or redirect the command's output into a log file regularly...

Regards,

Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. reading unix files from NT using SSH2

2. Using DIRECT I/O on Windows NT using FPS

3. How to retrieve current key used on the parent file, especially when using XPlore

4. (VA 4.02b) using long file names for Envy file attachments

5. searching one file using the contents of another file

6. Update a file using another file

7. Write to 2 file from pipe without using temp file

8. copying files using as a different file name

9. Using Long File Names (TPS Files) in Clarion

10. error 37 File not open using a variable file name

11. Problems using keys with files in TOPSPEED files

12. How do I replace a file using Write Characters to file.vi