Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)
Author Message
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

A bit Off-Topic this one:

Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the screws
that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

Their site has adequate information on how to change everything, from
clock-speed to DIMM's, but doesn't refer to these screws anywhere as far as I
could found.

They're not standard or philips screws, look a bit more like the new kind we
seem to be calling 'French screws' here. (Don't ask me why though :)

Since this obviously isn't of much interest to the rest of the NG anwsers are

Thanks in advance.

Anne.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> A bit Off-Topic this one:

> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the screws
> that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

Hi Anne,
  Compaq uses this type{*filter*}on almost all it's computers.
I do not know what those screws are called, but here's what I did:
Get a pair of pliers or vice grips. Use this to remove 1 screw.
Take the{*filter*}to a hardware store, they'll have the screwdriver.
Buy one.

  Ron Cherry

Remove KILLSPAM. from address to return email to me (not necessary to
reply to NG's).

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:22:12 -0700, Ron Cherry

it's called a torqs head and you can get the drivers at any Sears
stire. they come in 2 different sizes though.

Quote:

>> A bit Off-Topic this one:

>> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the screws
>> that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

>Hi Anne,
>  Compaq uses this type{*filter*}on almost all it's computers.
>I do not know what those screws are called, but here's what I did:
>Get a pair of pliers or vice grips. Use this to remove 1 screw.
>Take the{*filter*}to a hardware store, they'll have the screwdriver.
>Buy one.

>  Ron Cherry

>Remove KILLSPAM. from address to return email to me (not necessary to
>reply to NG's).

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the
> screws that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

A hammer?

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |     w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  ng2html - The NG to HTML converter.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

dave.... Compaq routinely uses TORX screws on their equipment. ( these are
sometimes referred to as "STAR").  As you have noticed, with these screws,
flat, cross (phillips), and hex bits are all but useless.  These should be
available at most hardware stores, and if not perhaps a US colleague can
aquire a set for you, although I think postage would probably cost more than
a cheap set of bits.

Dan Murray
Programmer, A+ and Compaq certified computer repair technician

Quote:

>> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the
>> screws that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

>A hammer?

>--
>Take a look in Hagbard's World: |     w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
>http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  ng2html - The NG to HTML converter.
>http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |       eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
>Free software, including........|   dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

From reading the subject only, I thought you just weren't happy with your
Compaq Presario!! ;-)
--
When replying, remove "anti-spam" in reply address.

Quote:
> A bit Off-Topic this one:

> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the
screws
> that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

> Their site has adequate information on how to change everything, from
> clock-speed to DIMM's, but doesn't refer to these screws anywhere as far
as I
> could found.

> They're not standard or philips screws, look a bit more like the new kind
we
> seem to be calling 'French screws' here. (Don't ask me why though :)

> Since this obviously isn't of much interest to the rest of the NG anwsers
are

> Thanks in advance.

> Anne.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> > Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the screws
> > that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?
> Get a pair of pliers or vice grips. Use this to remove 1 screw.

That's sort of what I did. Was just wondering if there was a 'cleaner' way to
remove them :)

Thanks anyway,

Anne.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> it's called a torqs head and you can get the drivers at any Sears
> stire. they come in 2 different sizes though.

Ok. So all that's left to do is to either find a Sears store nearby, or hope the
personal at the local hardware (non-puter :) store understand 'torqs' :)

Thanks though,

Anne.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> > it's called a torqs head and you can get the drivers at any Sears
> > stire. they come in 2 different sizes though.

> Ok. So all that's left to do is to either find a Sears store nearby, or hope the
> personal at the local hardware (non-puter :) store understand 'torqs' :)

> Thanks though,

> Anne.

  Simple solution - Carry the computer with you to several locations that sell tools
and such. Then you can ask for the appropriate tool with a visual aid...     ;)

Al

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Minor amplification of subject:  The drivers are TORX brand.
There are 6 sizes listed in my Sears tool catalog, running $4
or $5 each.

Quote:

> > > it's called a torqs head and you can get the drivers at any Sears
> > > stire. they come in 2 different sizes though.

> > Ok. So all that's left to do is to either find a Sears store nearby, or hope the
> > personal at the local hardware (non-puter :) store understand 'torqs' :)

> > Thanks though,

> > Anne.

>   Simple solution - Carry the computer with you to several locations that sell tools
> and such. Then you can ask for the appropriate tool with a visual aid...     ;)

> Al

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:
> From reading the subject only, I thought you just weren't happy with your
> Compaq Presario!! ;-)

If I would own the particular model I need to unscrew I think I wouldn't be
happy; can hold a MAX of one 32Mb DIMM...

Anne.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:
>   Simple solution - Carry the computer with you to several locations that sell
> and such. Then you can ask for the appropriate tool with a visual aid...
> Al

Not as simple as the puter is in Brussels and I'm in another country :)

Anne.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

>>   Simple solution - Carry the computer with you to several locations that
sell
>> and such. Then you can ask for the appropriate tool with a visual aid...
>> Al

>Not as simple as the puter is in Brussels and I'm in another country :)

>Anne.

Become a computer hardware technician and see the world! Travel throughout
the European continent, lugging a desktop computer, searching for obscure
screwdrivers! Wow, sounds like fun  8^)

Greg

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:22:12 -0700, Ron Cherry

Quote:

>> A bit Off-Topic this one:

>> Does anyone know what kind of screwdriver is to be used to remove the screws
>> that are used on Compaq's Presario 4500-series ?

>Hi Anne,
>  Compaq uses this type{*filter*}on almost all it's computers.
>I do not know what those screws are called, but here's what I did:
>Get a pair of pliers or vice grips. Use this to remove 1 screw.
>Take the{*filter*}to a hardware store, they'll have the screwdriver.
>Buy one.

Nice idea, but what if they're all recessed? They often are...
--
Nick Ramsay

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq Presario Screws (Off-Topic)

Quote:

> Nice idea, but what if they're all recessed? They often are...

Since she asked about the 4500 series, and I have a 4504 on my desk,
I knew they weren't. So there. :)
For the recessed ones, a very careful application of the correct sized
flathead screwdriver will also remove one of these screws. Notice there
is a shallow slot across the top of the{*filter*}for this.

  Ron Cherry

Remove KILLSPAM. from address to return email to me (not necessary to
reply to NG's).

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Off topic? Y'all'r off topic!!!

2. Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)

3. JCL off topic here?

4. STC versus JOB (off topic slightly)

5. off topic: IMS DFSCSGN0

6. Off-Topic: techno-dweeb spam.

7. OS/390 CD collection-off topic

8. HFS - slightly off topic

9. ICM, STCM, CLM - Off-Topic.

10. Maybe off topic

11. VisualWorks and VirtualPC 5.x - slightly off topic

12. Off topic!