Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Author Message
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?

Dear Guys,
I use Novell Netware 3.12.
Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

Thanks

John

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Hi John,

Quote:
>Dear Guys,
>I use Novell Netware 3.12.
>Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
>so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

>Thanks

>John

If your Novell Netware 3.12 Server is set up correctly, you should  be
getting YOUR PC Time synchronised to the Time and Date on the Server
when you Log on.

Regards Ray Manning
Melbourne, Australia

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
I Know but sinceWindows 98 is multitasking program someone can change date
and time without logout or quit from application.

Thanks

John

Quote:
> Hi John,

> >Dear Guys,
> >I use Novell Netware 3.12.
> >Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
> >so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

> >Thanks

> >John

> If your Novell Netware 3.12 Server is set up correctly, you should  be
> getting YOUR PC Time synchronised to the Time and Date on the Server
> when you Log on.

> Regards Ray Manning
> Melbourne, Australia

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Hi, John

Novlib has the FSDateGet() and FSTimeGet() functions.  I don't know of any
way to access this info using only clipper functions.

HTH,
Dale.

Quote:
> Dear Guys,
> I use Novell Netware 3.12.
> Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
> so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

> Thanks

> John

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
We have a time-card program that is like this, we used "systime.exe" to keep
the program synchronized with the server (batch systime.exe then program)
We also set up our program to goto a screensaver (in the clipper program)
and we run the external SYSTIME as it goes there.

FYI: if you don't know SYSTIME is a netware program on Novel 3.12 (see if
your version of Netware has it)

If you need exact time, and you are running win9x and have an internet
connection, go download a time setting program like: Tardis or Atom Time.
look at www.shareware.com for it.

Quote:
> Dear Guys,
> I use Novell Netware 3.12.
> Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
> so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

> Thanks

> John

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Hi, Johan

Quote:
> I use Novell Netware 3.12.
> Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
> so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

This works on my NetWare 4.11, try if this works for you:

- fCreate() a temporary file, size 0 bytes on the server volume.
- aDir() to get the file date and time, you will get the server's
date/time.
- fClose() the temporary file.
- fDelete() the temporary file.

Explanation:

When you create a file in a NetWare volume, while the file size is 0
bytes and it's openened, its date/time is the same as the server
date/time. Only when the handle is used to write data or close the file
the server set it's date to the workstation date.

Recomendation:

Create the temporary files in a special purpose directory, with
inmediate purge attribute enabled, so you don't worry about purging the
files.

HTH

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Jos Luis Mndez escribi:

Sorry,

Quote:
> - fDelete() the temporary file.

- fErase() instead

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Quote:

>If your Novell Netware 3.12 Server is set up correctly, you should  be
>getting YOUR PC Time synchronised to the Time and Date on the Server
>when you Log on.

Isn't that just for DOS?  It does not seem to happen on my network for my Win95
PCs with Microsoft Client for Netware.

Paul Welch

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?

Quote:

> >If your Novell Netware 3.12 Server is set up correctly, you should  be
> >getting YOUR PC Time synchronised to the Time and Date on the Server
> >when you Log on.

> Isn't that just for DOS?  It does not seem to happen on my network for my Win95
> PCs with Microsoft Client for Netware.

> Paul Welch

Our systems are Win95 running the Novell Client, and they take the date
from the server.  If you're not running the Novell client, you might
give it a try on one machine.

HTH . . . Ed

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Hi Johan,

Quote:
>Dear Guys,
>I use Novell Netware 3.12.
>Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
>so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

>Thanks

>John

CA-Clipper Tools III has functions NNETSDATE() and NNETSTIME() to get
the Date and Time respectively from the Netware Server

 NNETSDATE()
 Queries the Novell file server date
 Syntax

     NNETSDATE() --> dServerDate

     Netware: 2.2 and 3.11

 Returns

     NNETSDATE() returns the default file server date.

 Description

     NOVELL NETSERVER DATE
     This function allows you to query the current default file server
date.
     This date is then available in the corresponding date format
under
     CA-Clipper.  This allows all applications to synchronize their
dates
     within a Novell network.

 Examples

     |  Query the default server date:

        ? NNETSDATE()         // e.g. 04/01/91

     |  Pass the date with an AT to the CMOS-RAM:

        SETDATE(NNETSDATE(), ISAT())

 NNETSTIME()
 Queries the time on a Novell file server
 Syntax

     NNETSTIME() --> cServerTime

     Netware: 2.2 and 3.11

 Returns

     NNETSTIME() returns the default file server clock time in the
format
     "HH:MM:SS".

 Description

     NOVELL NET SERVER TIME
     With NNETSTIME(), you can determine the clock time on the default
file
     server.  The time, which is returned in the format "HH:MM:SS",
can be
     passed with SETTIME() to DOS and with ATs to the CMOS-RAM.  In
this way,
     all applications within a network can be synchronized with regard
to the
     clock time.

 Examples

     |  Query the clock time of the default file server:

        ? NNETSTIME()                     // e.g. "10:28:30"

     |  Pass the clock time with an AT to CMOS-RAM:

        SETTIME(NNETSTIME(), ISAT())

Hint,
I think Ross McKenzie stillhas cheap copies of CA-Clipper Tools III.

Regards Ray Manning
Melbourne, Australia

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Hi Johan, Hi Ray,

Quote:

> CA-Clipper Tools III has functions NNETSDATE() and NNETSTIME() to get
> the Date and Time respectively from the Netware Server

>  NNETSDATE()
>  Queries the Novell file server date

ATTENTION : NNETSDATE() is broken regarding Y2K, but it can be
worked around. It returns (CurrentYear - 1900), eg. today the
return value would be 16 January 100. So all you have to do
ist to add 1900 to the year portion of the date value :

dDate := NNETSDATE()
IF YEAR(dDate) < 200
   cDate := DTOS(dDate)
   dDate := STOD(STR(YEAR(dDate)+1900, 4, 0) + SUBSTR(cDate,5))
ENDIF

I just typed this from memory, not tested !

HTH
Thomas Braun

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
Thank You All for reply

Love in Maitreya (means Universal Love)

Johan

Quote:
> Dear Guys,
> I use Novell Netware 3.12.
> Please help me how to change the sintax date() & time(),
> so I get date and time direct from server not from my computer.

> Thanks

> John

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?

Quote:
> Thank You All for reply

> Love in Maitreya (means Universal Love)

> Johan

I'm sure your version of Netware will have the Systime.exe available to
you.  Either run it prior to your app starting or swap out from the
program and run it prior to getting your time and date.  The other
methods of creating files or buying another library add a lot of
complexity to the process.  Normally Systime.exe is located in the
PUBLIC directory of your SYS volume in Netware.  At our company every
user has that directory set as a search path.  If you can't find it,
ask your network administrators for rights or a copy of the program.
If you're using Blinker, run Systime with Blinker's SWPRUNCMD function.
It is much more memory efficient than Clipper's RUN command.

Art Martin

--
Art Martin - Phoenix area computer programmer,
  Musician and rocketeer.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?
You could run SYSTIME in the same batch file that runs your application.
--
David G. Holm

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help!!!How to get date & time from server not from workstation ?

Quote:
>You could run SYSTIME in the same batch file that runs your application.

I wrote WSYSTIME long time ago which works for all version of windows.
You can download it from my web site. Follow Download, Tips and tricks
-> Miscelanous -> WSYSTIME
--
Bambang P
http://members.xoom.com/bpranoto

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Get Time & Date From NT Server

2. Client date & time synch from server

3. TIME&DATE in HTML shows TIME

4. clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server

5. Create Time / date or Modified Time / date of a txt file

6. convert labview date/time to excel date/time

7. DOS compressed date/time into real date/time

8. Getting the date from the server?

9. Getting the date from the server?

10. Getting Date From Server

11. Getting Dates with time Zone