Corruption detected on Novell.
Author Message
 Corruption detected on Novell.

Hi,

I have an application running on a clients network which every few days
comes up with a "corruption detected DBFCDX/1012" error message. They
reindex, and everything is O.K for a while.

The app is written in clipper 5.3b

Novell Network 3.12
Novell Client 2.50

I think it is linked with exospace although blinker 5.1 is more unstable.

Regards

Mike grace

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Hi Mike,

workstations <=> or hub.

Might be a good idea to check w/ the users & see if any of the wkstns.
are having trouble connecting to the network.

Quote:
> Novell Client 2.50

Man, that's old. <g>

Most recent release of the Novell client is version 3.3, FYI.

HTH & Regards,
Bob

Quote:
> I think it is linked with exospace although blinker 5.1 is more
unstable.

> Regards

> Mike grace

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have an application running on a clients network which every few days
> comes up with a "corruption detected DBFCDX/1012" error message. They
> reindex, and everything is O.K for a while.

> The app is written in clipper 5.3b

> Novell Network 3.12
> Novell Client 2.50

                          3.21?

Mon, 14 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Sorry,

It was 3.2 novell. Typing error <g>

I'll try getting them to upgrade the client.

Thanks for the info

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

Mike

Mon, 14 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have an application running on a clients network which every few days
> comes up with a "corruption detected DBFCDX/1012" error message. They
> reindex, and everything is O.K for a while.

> The app is written in clipper 5.3b

> Novell Network 3.12
> Novell Client 2.50

> I think it is linked with exospace although blinker 5.1 is more unstable.

> Regards

> Mike grace

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 05:20:47 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Hi Mike
(sorry bad english)

This error is caused by inconsistent index records. 1) May be caused due to
file updates to the key fields and the related index file is not open. 2) Can
be the index key expression result diferent sizes. For example, don't use
RTRIM() in a key field. This cause the key be generated with size = 0. 3) of
course, bad records due to hardware, communications errors, disk failure,
etc. 4) I have a similar case, caused by a damaged memory chip in the server.
The failure only was discovered after months because the maintenance program
do not find erros in the machine until it crash at end. Regards Gilberto
Strapazon  Brasil gWordLib - Text function library for Clipper
www.geocities.com/gilbertostrapazon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:24:45 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Mike,

We are running Novell 4.2 P500 server and have recently discovered a
similar problem with a large system using NTX indexes.  We have been
able to reproduce the problem consistantly.  In the App, pressing the F2
key creates a temp index and displays the results.  Pressing the F2 key
again produces another temp index in a related file.  If the key is
pressed twice quickly, a corruption occurs because the first temp index
is not completed before the second is called for.  This corrupts our
primary index for some strange reason.  We have noticed that if the user
waits a couple seconds before pressing the key the second time, no
corruption occurs.  We are looking at ways to prevent the problem but
haven't tried anything yet.

You might take a look at your code to see if this condition exists.

Good Luck,

Bob Buckland

Quote:

> Sorry,

> It was 3.2 novell. Typing error <g>

> I'll try getting them to upgrade the client.

> Thanks for the info

> I'll let you know what happens.

> Regards

> Mike

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:13:39 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.

<snip>
Quote:
>corrupts our primary index for some strange reason.  We have noticed
>that if the user waits a couple seconds before pressing the key the
>second time, no corruption occurs.  We are looking at ways to prevent
>the problem but haven't tried anything yet.

<snip>

perhaps a client setting can help you (file caching, file commit). i
had a similar problem when using indexes on tempfiles which were
(both) placed in the users homedir. solved it by putting them in a
local tempdir and deleting them after being used. an ugly solution
(for security reasons), but it works here.

you may also want to try a programmatically approach like checking if
an index file exists before making a new one, or assigning F2 to NIL
while the index is being created.

--
Jules Alberts

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:04:11 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.

Quote:

><snip>
>>corrupts our primary index for some strange reason.  We have noticed
>>that if the user waits a couple seconds before pressing the key the
>>second time, no corruption occurs.  We are looking at ways to prevent
>>the problem but haven't tried anything yet.
><snip>

>perhaps a client setting can help you (file caching, file commit). i
>had a similar problem when using indexes on tempfiles which were
>(both) placed in the users homedir. solved it by putting them in a
>local tempdir and deleting them after being used. an ugly solution
>(for security reasons), but it works here.

>you may also want to try a programmatically approach like checking if
>an index file exists before making a new one, or assigning F2 to NIL
>while the index is being created.

FWIW, I have had situations where I have had to insert "artificial"
delays of a second (by using inkey(1)) to avoid this sort of problem.
It can be a bit of a slog 'cause you have to determine where to put
the delays by guesswork.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services UK

Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:18:37 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Jules,

Thanks for the ideas.  We are currently in the process of replacing the
software with a commercial package in Oracle so I'm not going to spend a
lot of time on this particular problem.  It will only be used another 30
45 days.  For now, the operators have been told to wait about 10 seconds
before pressing the second F2.  That seems to work for now.

Bob

Quote:

> <snip>
> >corrupts our primary index for some strange reason.  We have noticed
> >that if the user waits a couple seconds before pressing the key the
> >second time, no corruption occurs.  We are looking at ways to prevent
> >the problem but haven't tried anything yet.
> <snip>

> perhaps a client setting can help you (file caching, file commit). i
> had a similar problem when using indexes on tempfiles which were
> (both) placed in the users homedir. solved it by putting them in a
> local tempdir and deleting them after being used. an ugly solution
> (for security reasons), but it works here.

> you may also want to try a programmatically approach like checking if
> an index file exists before making a new one, or assigning F2 to NIL
> while the index is being created.

> --
> Jules Alberts

Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:32:42 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. It doesn't happen while they
areindexing, just using the system in an everyday way.

I have told the client to double check the cable and to get off Novell
client 2.5. I seem to remember it being a bit buggy.

Regards

Mike

Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:17:45 GMT
 Corruption detected on Novell.
Use ADS

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. TPS file corruption on Novell networks

2. FPT File corruption problem on Novell Network

3. VO1: data corruption on novell netware

4. Clipper/Novell data file corruption HELP!!!!

5. Past posting: Novell, Temp Dir, corruption

6. DBFNTX / 1210 Corruption Detected .... Revisited

7. Corruption detected

8. DBF File - Corruption detected

9. Urgent Help !! DBFNTX/1012 Corruption detected:

10. CORRUPTION DETECTED ERROR

11. corruption detected ; cl53b-dbfcdx-bl3.3

12. Error : DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected