Sharing a file between Clipper Apps
Author Message
 Sharing a file between Clipper Apps

Some years ago I developed a Clipper application (with Summer '87) and now
I have to access the same files through an Access DataBase.
The problem is that I cannot use at the same time the .DBF files with the
Clipper app and the .MDB file that points to the same .DBF with the VB app.
I tried to SET EXCLUSIVE OFF but it says something like "lock required".
I know that there are some "net" functions that work on this matter, but I
can't find any useful information.
I also tried with a library called GrumpFish, but the linker became
angry...
Please someone help me!

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Sharing a file between Clipper Apps

Quote:

> Some years ago I developed a Clipper application (with Summer '87) and now
> I have to access the same files through an Access DataBase.
> The problem is that I cannot use at the same time the .DBF files with the
> Clipper app and the .MDB file that points to the same .DBF with the VB app.
> I tried to SET EXCLUSIVE OFF but it says something like "lock required".
> I know that there are some "net" functions that work on this matter, but I
> can't find any useful information.
> I also tried with a library called GrumpFish, but the linker became
> angry...
> Please someone help me!

Hi,

You'll have to lock your records before processing any update like
REPLACE, DELETE, APPEND, .... with RLOCK() and FLOCK().

You could see the Norton Guide for more information.

Good luck !

Hope this helps !

Philippe
--

Videomuseum
6, rue Beaubourg

http://www.videomuseum.fr
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7237/
See also : http://www.stack.nl/~lamping/bgevents.htm

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Sharing a file between Clipper Apps

Quote:

>Some years ago I developed a Clipper application (with Summer '87) and now
>I have to access the same files through an Access DataBase.
>The problem is that I cannot use at the same time the .DBF files with the
>Clipper app and the .MDB file that points to the same .DBF with the VB app.
>I tried to SET EXCLUSIVE OFF but it says something like "lock required".
>I know that there are some "net" functions that work on this matter, but I
>can't find any useful information.
>I also tried with a library called GrumpFish, but the linker became
>angry...
>Please someone help me!

You get the "Lock required" message when you try to do something to a
shared table (append, replace etc.). You need to lock the record or
the table first, depending on what you're doing.

Take a look at RLOCK() & FLOCK() in the doc.

HTH

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper app sharing CDX with FoxPro app

2. Help - a clipper apps get minimized when shared modem start to dial

3. Sharing violation - Clipper 5.02 app under Win95

4. Migrating DOS/Clipper Apps to Windows/Clipper Apps

5. Multi-User app, Problem with shared file access

6. Sharing code between two .app files

7. Clipper and Windows File+Printer Sharing

8. How to get more file handles under Windows '95 for a Clipper app

9. NT 4.0 Workstation and Clipper Apps and File Handles

10. DOS Clipper app -> visual app

11. DOS Clipper app -> visual app

12. Importing files and proceedures from 2 apps to make one app