Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

Has anyone had any problems runing a cliiper 5.2e app linked with blinker 4.10
on a very fast comptuer, like a 300mhz pentium?

Bill

Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

Yes, I get divided by 0 error on startup in 80 % off the time.

Solution; Still seeking. Let me know if you find it!.

Thanks

Trond Kallerud
R.H. Data A.S
Norway

Quote:
>Has anyone had any problems runing a cliiper 5.2e app linked with blinker
4.10
>on a very fast comptuer, like a 300mhz pentium?

>Bill

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

Quote:

>Yes, I get divided by 0 error on startup in 80 % off the time.

>Solution; Still seeking. Let me know if you find it!.

It's certainly no secret about how to fix this problem.

Go to my www site and download r6003fix.zip.

Problem solved!

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

: >Yes, I get divided by 0 error on startup in 80 % off the time.

: It's certainly no secret about how to fix this problem.

: Go to my www site and download r6003fix.zip.

: Problem solved!

Indeed this works great. But there is another problem with
fast computers. I experienced corrupted dbf-files when running
clipper 5.2d apps on a 300Mhz PII and even more so on a
200Mhz MMX pentium pc.

Some groups of records in some dbfs where just filled with blanks
after a large filecopy. It looks like the harddisk is too fast
for clipper or dos, so it just skips a few characters.

So i changed the disk access mode in the bios to the slower
PIO-4 mode, and everything seems okay now.

-Rob-

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

Quote:
>Indeed this works great. But there is another problem with
>fast computers. I experienced corrupted dbf-files when running
>clipper 5.2d apps on a 300Mhz PII and even more so on a
>200Mhz MMX pentium pc.

>Some groups of records in some dbfs where just filled with blanks
>after a large filecopy. It looks like the harddisk is too fast
>for clipper or dos, so it just skips a few characters.

>So i changed the disk access mode in the bios to the slower
>PIO-4 mode, and everything seems okay now.

Since it's a given that Clipper correctly writes to DBF files, this
will boil down to hardware losing pieces of data, or the operating
system. Or both.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

:Since it's a given that Clipper correctly writes to DBF files, this
:will boil down to hardware losing pieces of data, or the operating
:system. Or both.
:

Well, I must say thats an interesting approach Phil. Have you tried using it
on Cyrix, AMD, Intel or one of the hardware manufacturers that are using
these chips?

Well, I have. Initially IBM showed a great deal of interest but they have
now suddenly gone very quiet and the 'official' recommendation to me is to
re-write the app in a 'current' language. (I wonder if that is Xbase++ -
anyone out there like to re-compile my Memtest.exe which demonstrate one of
the problems with x86 chips?).

Seems to me that problems with Clipper apps and fast chips are appearing
with ever greater frequency and - heaven forbid - may even be one of the
last nails in Clipper's coffin unless someone can come up with a software
solution to the problem. I really can't see hardware manufacturer's paying
more than a passing interest in problems that are clearly peculiar to a
16-bit DOS-based .EXE in this 32-bit world.

--

Cheers......

Will
Want to know VO?
Visit KnowVO, the VIsual Objects knowledgebase
at http://www.knowvo.com
Have you made a contribution lately?

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998 20:39:42 +0100, "Pipex Mail"

Quote:

>Seems to me that problems with Clipper apps and fast chips are appearing
>with ever greater frequency and - heaven forbid - may even be one of the
>last nails in Clipper's coffin unless someone can come up with a software
>solution to the problem. I really can't see hardware manufacturer's paying
>more than a passing interest in problems that are clearly peculiar to a
>16-bit DOS-based .EXE in this 32-bit world.

It's not just Clipper. Mr. Gates is working very hard at killing DOS.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

Quote:

> : >Yes, I get divided by 0 error on startup in 80 % off the time.

> : It's certainly no secret about how to fix this problem.

> : Go to my www site and download r6003fix.zip.

> : Problem solved!

> Indeed this works great. But there is another problem with
> fast computers. I experienced corrupted dbf-files when running
> clipper 5.2d apps on a 300Mhz PII and even more so on a
> 200Mhz MMX pentium pc.

> Some groups of records in some dbfs where just filled with blanks
> after a large filecopy. It looks like the harddisk is too fast
> for clipper or dos, so it just skips a few characters.

> So i changed the disk access mode in the bios to the slower
> PIO-4 mode, and everything seems okay now.

> -Rob-

I recently had a similar problem when I installed a new motherboard but
kept an older IDE disk.  The bios was set to auto config and gave a
higher PIO mode than the drive supported. This very quickly trashed the
disk, not only in clipper but in disk intensive operations.  Forcing the
bios to mode 0 fixed the problem.
Robin

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

: > fast computers. I experienced corrupted dbf-files when running
: > clipper 5.2d apps on a 300Mhz PII and even more so on a
: > 200Mhz MMX pentium pc.
: >
: > Some groups of records in some dbfs where just filled with blanks
: > after a large filecopy. It looks like the harddisk is too fast
: > for clipper or dos, so it just skips a few characters.
: >
: > So i changed the disk access mode in the bios to the slower
: > PIO-4 mode, and everything seems okay now.
: >
: > -Rob-
: >
: I recently had a similar problem when I installed a new motherboard but
: kept an older IDE disk.  The bios was set to auto config and gave a
: higher PIO mode than the drive supported. This very quickly trashed the
: disk, not only in clipper but in disk intensive operations.  Forcing the
: bios to mode 0 fixed the problem.
: Robin

My computers are compaqs. I had the problems with the default settings
of these machines.

-Rob-

Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2 and Pentium II 300mzh computer

I'm running a large clipper application on the Intel 333 with no problems at
all.  Now I don't know about the other manufacturers, but we have no
problems with the Intel chips.  My friend currently is trying clipper and
delphi on the Intel 400 mhz computer.

Quote:

>: > fast computers. I experienced corrupted dbf-files when running
>: > clipper 5.2d apps on a 300Mhz PII and even more so on a
>: > 200Mhz MMX pentium pc.
>: >
>: > Some groups of records in some dbfs where just filled with blanks
>: > after a large filecopy. It looks like the harddisk is too fast
>: > for clipper or dos, so it just skips a few characters.
>: >
>: > So i changed the disk access mode in the bios to the slower
>: > PIO-4 mode, and everything seems okay now.
>: >
>: > -Rob-
>: >
>: I recently had a similar problem when I installed a new motherboard but
>: kept an older IDE disk.  The bios was set to auto config and gave a
>: higher PIO mode than the drive supported. This very quickly trashed the
>: disk, not only in clipper but in disk intensive operations.  Forcing the
>: bios to mode 0 fixed the problem.
>: Robin

>My computers are compaqs. I had the problems with the default settings
>of these machines.

>-Rob-

Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Update from clipper 5.2 pentium to pII or faster

2. Pentium 2 patch for Clipper 5.2

3. Book needed : ARTFUL II GOLD for Clipper 5.2

4. Pentium II 266 Computer Raffle - Dream Machine - Benefits Childrens Hospital

5. clipper and pentium II - problems?

6. Clipper & Pentium II

7. Pentium II and clipper

8. Clipper 5.2e and Pentium II / 400MHz

9. Clipper Tools go boom on Pentium II..

10. Help - clipper 5.3 with pentium II 300/66 Mhz

11. Clipper & Pentium II

12. Comparative perf of Pentium/Pentium II under J?