Replacement for Clipper
Author Message
 Replacement for Clipper

Since Germany is rather an expensive long distance call, do you know the
cost (in U. S. dollars)?

Also, is there written documentation IN ENGLISH?

Thanks.  It looks like a great product and I'd like to give it a try.

Quote:
>primenet.com!nntp.primenet.com!su-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.bbnplanet.com!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!EU.net!usenet2.news.uk.psi.net!uknet!usenet1.news.uk.psi.net!uknet!dispatch.news.demon.net!demon!mail2news.demon.co.uk!darkblak.demon.co.uk!Darr

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
>Subject: Re: Replacement for Clipper
>Date: Wed, 04 Dec 96 21:05:20 GMT

>> : Well, apparently Xbase++ is out now and supports OS/2, Windows NT and
>> : Windows 95 (perhaps others).

>> : It's a 100% (with exception of a few reservered words) compatible compiler
>> : for Clipper syntax code.  It produces real compiled code and allows for text
>> : and/or GUI applications.

>> Well Ian,
>>         Where can we buy/beg/steal this product for a test ??  Would like
>> to have another product ready to replace clipper.  Who makes it, and does
>> it have many current users

>I think I've already answered this but:

>   Company: Alaska GmbH
>  Location: Germany - that's Europe for you lot over there... ;-)
>       Tel: +49 69 439646

>DrDebug

>MrTag 1.20 : Do you love anyone enough to give them your last MrDebug

>Dark Black Software Ltd.   |      BBS:      Dark Knight: 01480 471465
>The Home of MrDebug        |      Fax:                   01480 471465
> (THE Clipper de{*filter*})    |      Tel:                   01480 403104

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Just curious....
Has anyone converted from Clipper to C++ and CodeBase?

I've been trying to decide myself on what programing environment I
should convert my Clipper applications to Windows and it seems that most
people talk about Delphi.
I purchased Visual Fox Pro only to end up on the shelf, I purchased
Delphi and I've been playing with it a little bit. So far I'm really
confused.
How about Visual DBase? It seems like most of these programing languages
come and go and C still remains.

Is Delphi the actual replacement for Clipper?

Just looking for different ideas before I plonge myself into programming
with a new language.

Tony

Fri, 28 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Quote:

> Has anyone converted from Clipper to C++ and CodeBase?

I used CodeBase in couple of small projects few years ago (actual version
at that time was 5.1). It worked fine, but at that time Clipper started to
look more object oriented and I sticked with it.

Quote:
> Is Delphi the actual replacement for Clipper?

There is no such thing as a replacement for Clipper <g>. Delphi is cool and
recently I started some development in it. I used Turbo Pascal in the old
days (version 3.3, first decent development environment in PC history <g>)
so I don't have trouble with language, but even for non-Paskal speakers it
should be any problem.

--
Jovan Bulajic
Belgrade, Yugoslavia

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Quote:
> Just curious....
> Has anyone converted from Clipper to C++ and CodeBase?

> I've been trying to decide myself on what programing environment I
> should convert my Clipper applications to Windows and it seems that most
> people talk about Delphi.
> I purchased Visual Fox Pro only to end up on the shelf, I purchased
> Delphi and I've been playing with it a little bit. So far I'm really
> confused.
> How about Visual DBase? It seems like most of these programing languages
> come and go and C still remains.

> Is Delphi the actual replacement for Clipper?

Your new programming environment gonna be Windows. Mainly you will deal
with other things in principle, than we used in Clipper. So Clipper
compatibility question is one of what fragments of older-apps/experience
will still be useful to you. Not too many, since Windows design will change
almost everything.

Official replacement for Clipper is VO. If it was stable enough (there are
people that use it), it wasn't bad choice to have still something familiar
in your new challenge. As to VO language itself it is good - simple enough,
clear as it is possible, able to deal with categories of higher level, as
well as low too.

Though speaking about going to Windows development, not big distance has
left to other RAD tools, like Delphi (using Pascal) or Powersoft Optima++
(using C++) or others. Optima++ has TestDrive evaluation, which is quick
and impressive. What is better to choose is subjective - would you prefer
particular RAD tools design/productivity or language.

-- Edis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eduardas Tamoshauskas

http://www.geoCities.com/Paris/6122
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D O N ' T   G E T    V I R T U A L !

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Quote:

> Just curious....
> Has anyone converted from Clipper to C++ and CodeBase?

> I've been trying to decide myself on what programing environment I
> should convert my Clipper applications to Windows and it seems that most
> people talk about Delphi.
> I purchased Visual Fox Pro only to end up on the shelf, I purchased
> Delphi and I've been playing with it a little bit. So far I'm really
> confused.
> How about Visual DBase? It seems like most of these programing languages
> come and go and C still remains.

> Is Delphi the actual replacement for Clipper?

> Just looking for different ideas before I plonge myself into programming
> with a new language.

> Tony

Maybe you should consider Visual Objects? It is a superset of Clipper,
and has a pretty step learning curve. But when you'r there, it's even
more productive than Clipper.
--
- Erling Ervik

Sat, 29 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Quote:
>Just curious....
>Has anyone converted from Clipper to C++ and CodeBase?

>I've been trying to decide myself on what programing environment I
>should convert my Clipper applications to Windows and it seems that most
>people talk about Delphi.
>I purchased Visual Fox Pro only to end up on the shelf, I purchased
>Delphi and I've been playing with it a little bit. So far I'm really
>confused.
>How about Visual DBase? It seems like most of these programing languages
>come and go and C still remains.

>Is Delphi the actual replacement for Clipper?

>Just looking for different ideas before I plonge myself into programming
>with a new language.

>Tony

I am in the process of converting a significant Clipper app (47
tables, 100,000+ line of clipper code) to WIN95.  Am using Visual C++
4.x with the SDE 32 bit database engine from Successware.  The
database library is functioning well. The SDE lib makes transition
easy for those of us xbase people.  However,  I am still looking for a
good replacement for the old standby tbrowse class.  A good grid with
in-cell masked editing and validation is causing me the most
difficulty.  I'm on my third one now.

Dean

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Replacement for Clipper

Quote:

>> Not to be obtuse, but there is no event driven, object oriented language
>> faster or more powerful than VO. Coming from a Clipper background it
>> seems you would be able to leverage most of your current skills in the
>> move. Have you considered it?

There is no doubt that eventually Clipper needs to be replaced with a
Windows-based or more current technology.  In our experience, the
replacement can be done in two stages:

1)  First the database (converted to a SQL database, for example, so
it is robust.)

2)  Then there is the application

Since most of the investment is in app development, this then can be
more gradual, and you can use either Delphi or VO or any other tool
you want, including Web applications.
<s> Of course, we are pitching the first approach because OpenPath
Clipper makes this approach a breeze, so, pardon the pitch.

Norbert

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 22 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]