Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name

Strange!
Clipper doesn't seem to like it when the last field of a DBF file has a name
of only one character ( I used "I").  Try it in DBU and you will see it
crash.

Is this a known bug?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter.

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name

Quote:
> Strange! Clipper doesn't seem to like it when the last field of a DBF file
> has a name of only one character ( I used "I"). Try it in DBU and you will
> see it crash.

I think you'll need to be a little more explicit about your problem, I can't
recreate it here:

,----
| Function Main()
|
|    dbcreate( "foo", { { "FIRST",  "C", 1, 0 },;
|                       { "SECOND", "C", 1, 0 },;
|                       { "THIRD",  "C", 1, 0 },;
|                       { "I",      "C", 1, 0 } } )
|
|    Use Foo New Exclusive
|
|    dbappend()
|
|    Foo->I := "I"
|    ? Foo->I
|
|    dbcloseall()
|
| Return( NIL )
`----

The above works just fine and DBU has no problems opening the table created
by the above.

Besides, to say that "Clipper" has a problem is misleading at best. At the
very least you should mention what RDD you are using to get the problem.

Quote:
> Is this a known bug?

It isn't even a reproducible bug.

Quote:
> Any suggestions?

Tell us what the "crash" was. I can't get DBU to fall over. Do what I did
above, come up with the smallest big of code that is guaranteed to
demonstrate the problem. You might also want to consider saying which
version of Clipper you are using, if your DBU is "out of the box" or if it
is one you compiled and/or modified yourself. Please also consider
mentioning which RDD/RDDs display the problem.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name
Its a bug, dbu uses a variable called i which is a numeric private variable.
Once u open a dbf with a character field i u get a type mismatch.
U can either fix the code or don't use a field called i

I suggest the later

Quote:

>Strange!
>Clipper doesn't seem to like it when the last field of a DBF file has a
name
>of only one character ( I used "I").  Try it in DBU and you will see it
>crash.

>Is this a known bug?
>Any suggestions?

>Thanks,
>Peter.

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name
Your single character is not being resolved.
Funny that.

A single character is generally being used as a table environment,
ie SELECT A, SELECT B ........ SELECT Z in clipper.
Hence your "I" is actually waiting for the table reference "->" followed by
a field.

The program BOMBS, as no reference has been made to your FIELD.

This is why FOO->I works, it is referenced.

Happy Hunting.
Trevor Davis.

Quote:

>> Strange! Clipper doesn't seem to like it when the last field of a DBF
file
>> has a name of only one character ( I used "I"). Try it in DBU and you
will
>> see it crash.

>I think you'll need to be a little more explicit about your problem, I
can't
>recreate it here:

>,----
>| Function Main()
>|
>|    dbcreate( "foo", { { "FIRST",  "C", 1, 0 },;
>|                       { "SECOND", "C", 1, 0 },;
>|                       { "THIRD",  "C", 1, 0 },;
>|                       { "I",      "C", 1, 0 } } )
>|
>|    Use Foo New Exclusive
>|
>|    dbappend()
>|
>|    Foo->I := "I"
>|    ? Foo->I
>|
>|    dbcloseall()
>|
>| Return( NIL )
>`----

>The above works just fine and DBU has no problems opening the table created
>by the above.

>Besides, to say that "Clipper" has a problem is misleading at best. At the
>very least you should mention what RDD you are using to get the problem.

>> Is this a known bug?

>It isn't even a reproducible bug.

>> Any suggestions?

>Tell us what the "crash" was. I can't get DBU to fall over. Do what I did
>above, come up with the smallest big of code that is guaranteed to
>demonstrate the problem. You might also want to consider saying which
>version of Clipper you are using, if your DBU is "out of the box" or if it
>is one you compiled and/or modified yourself. Please also consider
>mentioning which RDD/RDDs display the problem.

>--
>Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
>http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
>http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
>Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e crashes when last field of DBF file has one character name

Quote:

> Your single character is not being resolved. Funny that.

> A single character is generally being used as a table environment, ie
> SELECT A, SELECT B ........ SELECT Z in clipper. Hence your "I" is
> actually waiting for the table reference "->" followed by a field.

> The program BOMBS, as no reference has been made to your FIELD.

The above appears to have little in common with the problem the original
poster reported, I'm also having a hard time to see how it relates to the
code I posted to demonstrate that the problem he described wasn't a "problem
with Clipper".

Recall what the poster said:

Quote:

> >> Strange! Clipper doesn't seem to like it when the last field of a DBF
> >> file has a name of only one character ( I used "I"). Try it in DBU and
> >> you will see it crash.

I suggested the poster be more explicit about their problem and posted this
code as an example (that shows that the problem, as described, isn't a
problem with Clipper):

Quote:
> >,----
> >| Function Main()
> >|
> >|    dbcreate( "foo", { { "FIRST",  "C", 1, 0 },;
> >|                       { "SECOND", "C", 1, 0 },;
> >|                       { "THIRD",  "C", 1, 0 },;
> >|                       { "I",      "C", 1, 0 } } )
> >|
> >|    Use Foo New Exclusive
> >|
> >|    dbappend()
> >|
> >|    Foo->I := "I"
> >|    ? Foo->I
> >|
> >|    dbcloseall()
> >|
> >| Return( NIL )
> >`----

This program doesn't "bomb".

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper 5.2e - Character field

2. Clipper 5.2e - Character field

3. Which is best DBF editor for viewing Clipper based dbf files( windows)

4. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

5. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (1/1)

6. Large database (.dbf) with Clipper 5.2e

7. Get Last Characters in a field?

8. How to complete an entry field when the last character is entered

9. Win95 crash with Clipper 5.2e printing

10. Field Separator larger than one character

11. Clipper 5.2e memo field problem

12. Clipper 5.2e DBFCDX.lib Memo Fields