What is a 'native code' compiler
Author Message
 What is a 'native code' compiler

Quote:

> Hello people,
> I know this might be a question for a more general newsgroup, but I am
> interested to the questions involving Clipper and VO being or not being
> or maybe sometimes becoming a native code compiler. There is also the
> term 'p-code compiler' put against it. Is there an easy way to
> understand it or do only asm experts get the difference?

In very simple terms, a native code compiler produces code that is in
a format that can execute right in the processor, just as if you had coded
it in ASM or any other native code compiler such as C for example.

P-code compilers tend to tokenise the code you type (this is what Clipper
does) and it then interprets it on the fly. So, in your Clipper EXE
the is a run-time engine and lots of tokenised code. The run-time reads
the tokens and does what the tokens ask it to do. This is why p-code is
slower than native code in most cases.

That's the nutshell answer anyway.

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Dave Pearson              | Oh is this the way they say the future's ment to|

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What is a 'native code' compiler
Hello people,
I know this might be a question for a more general newsgroup, but I am
interested to the questions involving Clipper and VO being or not being
or maybe sometimes becoming a native code compiler. There is also the
term 'p-code compiler' put against it. Is there an easy way to
understand it or do only asm experts get the difference?
Many thanks for any replies and some wishes for happy xmas.
Axel

P.S. I hope that I didn't post a FAQ here, I know of two (official?)
FAQs (ftp://ftp.wariat.org/pub/users/catfood/clipper.html and
http://www.xs4all.nl/~junior/index.html) from the MINI-FAQ, but I hadn't
yet the opportunity to use a web browser to look at them. Is there an
ASCII-FAQ? (any pointers welcome ;), thanks)

===

Freie Universitaet Berlin
===

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What is a 'native code' compiler

Quote:

>In very simple terms, a native code compiler produces code that is in
>a format that can execute right in the processor, just as if you had coded
>it in ASM or any other native code compiler such as C for example.
>P-code compilers tend to tokenise the code you type (this is what Clipper
>does) and it then interprets it on the fly. So, in your Clipper EXE
>the is a run-time engine and lots of tokenised code. The run-time reads
>the tokens and does what the tokens ask it to do. This is why p-code is
>slower than native code in most cases.
>That's the nutshell answer anyway.
>--
>+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
>| Dave Pearson              | Oh is this the way they say the future's ment to|

>+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Hi Dave,
thanks for the answer.
So Clipper is not a native compiler. Is VO a native compiler? If not,
does anyone know, if it will become one (version 2.0)?
Axel
===

Freie Universitaet Berlin
===

Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What is a 'native code' compiler

Quote:
> The run-time reads the tokens and does what the tokens ask it to
> do. This is why p-code is slower than native code in most cases.

In most cases?  Are there cases where p-code is faster than native?

Frank Bax

Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What is a 'native code' compiler

Quote:

> > In most cases?  Are there cases where p-code is faster than native?

> In cases where the run-time is optimized to handle common calls and so
> jumps to native code.

I didn't reply correctly there did I? What I ment to say was not that p-code
can be faster, but there are times when there can be nothing in it.

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Dave Pearson              | Oh is this the way they say the future's ment to|

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 What is a 'native code' compiler

Quote:

> > The run-time reads the tokens and does what the tokens ask it to
> > do. This is why p-code is slower than native code in most cases.

> In most cases?  Are there cases where p-code is faster than native?

In cases where the run-time is optimized to handle common calls and so
jumps to native code.

Also, look at any Windows based p-code system, most of the screen IO is
no better or worse because 99% of the time is spent in the Windows API
which is (we hope) native code.

--
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Dave Pearson              | Oh is this the way they say the future's ment to|

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. native Fortran90 compiler on SGI's?

2. 'who am i' from unix

3. Compiler (people Retired) API's ;FFT's;FHT's

4. compiler framework 0.2 - code for IPC7 paper on ''Little Languages in Python''

5. compiler code for appel's ml book

6. Native code compilers

7. Re(try): A native-code compiler in Forth

8. A native-code Java compiler in Forth

9. QuickSort(), native code, Force compiler

10. public relase of HiPE native-code Erlang compiler

11. XDS native code compiler for NT

12. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS