Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT
Author Message
 Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

        I will be converting an existing Advantage Database Server application
from the NLM version (Netware 3.11) to the NT Server version.  I was wondering
if anyone out there can give me some tips, pointers, warnings, things to be
aware of, before making the port.  I have no experience with NT at all.  In
particular, I was wanting to know the following:

1) Does ADS/NT use the Advantage "SET RIGHTS CHECKING ON/OFF" functionality?
This feature allowed me under Netware to put all DBF's and CDX's in a
directory that the users had no read/write access to but that the NLM could
get to.  This allowed me to "protect" the databases from
"accidental/malicious" tampering.

2) My application is written in Clipper 5.2e and uses Clipper Tools (whatever
version was current during that era).  I have relied heavily on the Clipper
Tools function: NNetWhoAmI() to determine the station's login/username.
Obviously this function is Netware specific and will no longer work under NT.
Does anyone know of a function that will return similar information off of NT?

3) Will there be any significant performance issues in the port?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Mark

**  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT
I've been working on a conversion since April and have came across very few
issues.  But you networking info from clipper tools, NOVLIB doesn't,
probably will not work.  They more than likely rely on netware specific
info.  But the NET USE command is very flexible.  I've changed most
everything to batch files accepting paramaters.

The main problem I found is if you have complicated index structures and try
using UNC naming conventions, everything must be under 64 chrs.  FILE(),
DIRECTORY(), DBUSE, etc... will only accept 64 chrs as path and file.

You also don't map root in NT you will have to use SUBST if you rely on
that.

The performance seems to be better.  Although ADS was a dog on NT
workstations all along.  That is not the fact now.  I think 5.0 gives
performance increases in all platforms.

I don't use RIGHTS CHECKING but it is supposed to be the same.
HTH
Chris Shook

Quote:

>        I will be converting an existing Advantage Database Server
application
>from the NLM version (Netware 3.11) to the NT Server version.  I was
wondering
>if anyone out there can give me some tips, pointers, warnings, things to be
>aware of, before making the port.  I have no experience with NT at all.  In
>particular, I was wanting to know the following:

>1) Does ADS/NT use the Advantage "SET RIGHTS CHECKING ON/OFF"
functionality?
>This feature allowed me under Netware to put all DBF's and CDX's in a
>directory that the users had no read/write access to but that the NLM could
>get to.  This allowed me to "protect" the databases from
>"accidental/malicious" tampering.

>2) My application is written in Clipper 5.2e and uses Clipper Tools
(whatever
>version was current during that era).  I have relied heavily on the Clipper
>Tools function: NNetWhoAmI() to determine the station's login/username.
>Obviously this function is Netware specific and will no longer work under
NT.
>Does anyone know of a function that will return similar information off of
NT?

>3) Will there be any significant performance issues in the port?

>Any help will be greatly appreciated!

>Regards,
>Mark

>**  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. NT Server + NT Workstation + ADS problem.

2. Clipper 5.2e/ADS/ & Netware 4.11

3. Converting to XBase++ and ADS

4. Converting ADS to COBOL: Link to dialog with map loses place in calling program

5. Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX

6. ADS/NT/IPX/1015 error

7. ADS Application under WIN/NT Network

8. ADS FIVEWIN NT WS AND NOVELL - HELP PEASE

9. Netware 4.11/Clipper 5.2e/ADS & NT workstation - Help!

10. meeting others through personal ads (advertisement)

11. Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

12. Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?