problem at running clipper under Win XP Home
Author Message
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Hi,

I frequently use an old Clipper-87 program for many years - it works fine with
DOS and all Windows versions from 3.1 up to NT 4.0.

Now I changed to XP Home and cannot start the program. It always breaks at a
command "INDEX ON dk TO pcldk" with the message
                         "proc PCLIND line 23, internal error 92"
when starting it with my private user account. This account is owner of all
files in this directory and has full access.

When starting as the admin user - which has also full access, but is not the
owner - the clipper program works properly.

Ohter parts of this set of clipper program do fine with my personal account.

What happens there? I don't like to work as administrator when it is not
possible  ;-)   Who knows help ?

With my company's computer and WinXP Pro there is no problem !

Best regards

Manfred Stibaner

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 01:18:47 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home
Manfred,

Quote:
>                         "proc PCLIND line 23, internal error 92"
>when starting it with my private user account. This account is owner of all
>files in this directory and has full access.

>When starting as the admin user - which has also full access, but is not the
>owner - the clipper program works properly.

What you probably do not have full access to when using your private
account is the directory where Clipper tries to create its temporary
files. This will cause a write error.

Klas

-------
klas dot engwall at engwall dot com

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:33:16 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Manfred,

Have you set the files = on the XP?  Using different IDs on the same
machine use different amount of system resources.  The FAQ Dave posted
today has the note on how to changes files on XP and NT systems.

Mike M.

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:35:56 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:
>Manfred,
>>                         "proc PCLIND line 23, internal error 92"
>>when starting it with my private user account. This account is owner of all
>>files in this directory and has full access.

>>When starting as the admin user - which has also full access, but is not the
>>owner - the clipper program works properly.

>What you probably do not have full access to when using your private
>account is the directory where Clipper tries to create its temporary
>files. This will cause a write error.

>Klas

Thank you, Klas. The variables "TEMP" and TMP" , which I think are important for
temporary files, show to a directory to which my user has _full_ access.

Manfred

Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:53:18 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:

>Manfred,

>Have you set the files = on the XP?  Using different IDs on the same
>machine use different amount of system resources.  The FAQ Dave posted
>today has the note on how to changes files on XP and NT systems.

>Mike M.

Thanks, Mike, for your hint.

CONFIG.NT has an entry   files=20  and is relevant to _all_ users, as I think.
That may not be the problem  :-(

Manfred

Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:53:18 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home
Manfred

Quote:
> Thank you, Klas. The variables "TEMP" and TMP" , which I think are important for
> temporary files, show to a directory to which my user has _full_ access.

But do they contain spaces??
If so change them.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:08:40 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Manfred,

Change it to at least files = 100.  Without over analyzing,  different
users can have different startups and file requirements.  20 is too
low anyway.

Mike

PS - I can't control how this is posted in the thread since I have
   started using dbforums.  It seems to post everything at the end.

Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:38:34 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:

>Manfred,

>Change it to at least files = 100.  Without over analyzing,  different
>users can have different startups and file requirements.  20 is too
>low anyway.

>Mike

Hi,
changing "files" doesn't help.
On the aother hand - files=20 did work for many years on different computers &
OSses. And is works with my admin user ...

Sorry  :-(

Manfred

Sorry, couldn't answer earlier, as my POP3 account didn't work by a virus
scanner.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 03:26:14 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:
>Manfred

>> Thank you, Klas. The variables "TEMP" and TMP" , which I think are important for
>> temporary files, show to a directory to which my user has _full_ access.
>But do they contain spaces??
>If so change them.

Hi Stephen,

Environment variables do not contain spaces, as I think. And my do not contain
them.

Manfred

Sorry, couldn't answer earlier, as my POP3 account didn't work by a virus
scanner.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 03:26:14 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:

> >Manfred,

> >Change it to at least files = 100.  Without over analyzing,  different
> >users can have different startups and file requirements.  20 is too
> >low anyway.

> >Mike
> Hi,
> changing "files" doesn't help.
> On the aother hand - files=20 did work for many years on different computers &
> OSses. And is works with my admin user ...

"files=20" was the built-in default on all (?) versions of DOS, and
probably some windows as well. So you didn't actually do anything by
including that.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 03:38:01 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home
Manfred

Quote:
> Environment variables do not contain spaces, as I think. And my do not contain
> them

I think you may have mis-understood me - I meant the paths they're pointing to.

By default they point to (W2K & XP)
    C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temp

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:55:28 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:

>> >Manfred,

>> >Change it to at least files = 100.  Without over analyzing,  different
>> >users can have different startups and file requirements.  20 is too
>> >low anyway.

>> >Mike
>> Hi,
>> changing "files" doesn't help.
>> On the aother hand - files=20 did work for many years on different computers &
>> OSses. And is works with my admin user ...

>"files=20" was the built-in default on all (?) versions of DOS, and
>probably some windows as well. So you didn't actually do anything by
>including that.

I changed to files=100 as requested - really no effect.
And files=20 works with the admin user !

Manfred

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:24:35 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

And you changed it in the config.nt?

Mike

Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:26:54 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Quote:

>And you changed it in the config.nt?

>Mike

Where else?
Manfred

Tue, 20 Dec 2005 04:08:04 GMT
 problem at running clipper under Win XP Home

Manfred,

S87 uses the root directory for temp files used in the index process
unless you redirect it.  Blinker lets me choose the work directory which
I always define as a sub named temp.  (c:\land has a c:\land\temp).

Check the root rights for the user.

Mike

Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:07:55 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. active x made on win95 won't run on win 2000/xp

2. Clipper & Win XP problem

3. Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98

4. Problem - Running Dbase/Clipper Indexing on a Pentium in Win 95

5. Clipper App runs slowly when moved to Pentium 4 PC running Win 98

6. XP Home vs XP Pro - switch ???

7. Running wish84.exe on Win XP 64

8. newbie question on PATH vaiable and running python on win xp

9. icon display problem inlistbox on XP Home

10. CP 437, clipper 5.2 and Win 9x/2000/XP - ASCII CHR

11. Clipper Database application and Win XP

12. Pls Help!!!!!!!!!!, a: drive not getting accessed from clipper 5.x in Win XP