Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32
Author Message
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

Hi,

Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11 Intranetware
server.
The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950) with
Client 32.

One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with many
different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
detected' in NTX files.
The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
sometimes there are empty records

Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

thanks for reading/helping...

Siewert

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

Client 32 causes a lot of the problems. Make sure you have the latest from
Novell. SOmetimes the cacheing of Client32 causes the problem. Make sure you
have an environmental variable pointing to a temp area and that the temp area
exists.

Quote:

> Hi,

> Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11 Intranetware
> server.
> The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950) with
> Client 32.

> One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with many
> different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
> detected' in NTX files.
> The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
> sometimes there are empty records

> Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

> thanks for reading/helping...

> Siewert

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

I've got an app running under Windows 3.11, files on a Novell 4.11 server, using
FlexFile memofields and Foxpro-compatible CDX index files. Same story,
corruption detected. Every time they re-index, problem goes away for a while,
then comes back.

Let me know if you solve this one!

Thanks,
Al

Quote:

> Hi,

> Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11 Intranetware
> server.
> The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950) with
> Client 32.

> One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with many
> different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
> detected' in NTX files.
> The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
> sometimes there are empty records

> Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

> thanks for reading/helping...

> Siewert

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

I've seen problems like this before.  Make sur eyou are using newest
Intranetware Client.  also make sure that you have

   SET CLIPPER = F100                       'F###   where ### is the number
of file handles
in the autoexec.bat

In the IntraNetware Client advanced settings turn write cahcing off and true
commit on and see if that helps!

Quote:

>Hi,

>Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11
Intranetware
>server.
>The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950)
with
>Client 32.

>One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with
many
>different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
>detected' in NTX files.
>The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
>sometimes there are empty records

>Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

>thanks for reading/helping...

>Siewert

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

Sounds like an APP problem to me.  Can you say that you never
experienced this problem in another environment??  Are you always
opening all indexes for tables during updates?

Make sure you have Client 32 v2.2, and also make sure that you 'delay
writes' is off, 'read only compatibility' is on, and you can try
turning 'true commit' to on.

Also, I recommend in your apps to do a dbcommit() before any
dbunlock().  Make sure you got Clipper 5.2e if using 5.2

Ah ya, your users aren't closing the DOS box instead of exiting the
program properly right?  And they are not calling up the DBF's using
Excell and modifying them??

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:47:00 +0200, "Siewert Westerneng"

Quote:

>Hi,

>Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11 Intranetware
>server.
>The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950) with
>Client 32.

>One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with many
>different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
>detected' in NTX files.
>The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
>sometimes there are empty records

>Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

>thanks for reading/helping...

>Siewert

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

ALWAYS, in Client32 turn TRUE COMMIT ON and WRITE CACHING OFF. This is the
settings that Novell recommends (!) for database applications. The opposite
settings are the *default* for the Client32 as well as for the DOS-VLM
shell. Seems that Novell believes that it's customers by default use only
office automation apps :)

Quote:

>Hi,

>Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11
Intranetware
>server.
>The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950)
with
>Client 32.

>One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with
many
>different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
>detected' in NTX files.
>The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
>sometimes there are empty records

>Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

>thanks for reading/helping...

>Siewert

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

Hi,

I've also had this problem, and it did go away when the cache was turned
off, but the system is now CRAWLING.  Any suggestions as to how to
balance the cache and commit?

Chuck
using Gloria's workstation

Quote:

> ALWAYS, in Client32 turn TRUE COMMIT ON and WRITE CACHING OFF. This is the
> settings that Novell recommends (!) for database applications. The opposite
> settings are the *default* for the Client32 as well as for the DOS-VLM
> shell. Seems that Novell believes that it's customers by default use only
> office automation apps :)

> >Hi,

> >Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11
> Intranetware
> >server.
> >The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950)
> with
> >Client 32.

> >One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with
> many
> >different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
> >detected' in NTX files.
> >The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
> >sometimes there are empty records

> >Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

> >thanks for reading/helping...

> >Siewert

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper app. DBF Corruption under Win95/Novell4.11/Client32

We have experienced a very similar problem as you have described at
two of our bigger sites. The environments are Intranetware network
with clients using Windows95 and Intranetware client. We use DBF files
and Comix indexes (.CDX) and the client has all of the recommended
settings set. In addition to corrupt indexes, we have also noticed
blank records in the files. We have recently read of a problem within
Netware 4.11 which can cause corruption of large databases (discussed
in the Clipper forum on Compuserve) . There apparently is a file
available from the Novell forum (www.support.novell.com) called
Turbod.exe which contains a NLM which is supposed to fix this
situation. I have not installed this yet but will do so first thing
this coming week.

I hope that this file dows fix this problem as if it does not then
Netware will loose a client to NT4.0

Quote:
>Hi,

>Since a few months we have a new network with a new Novell 4.11 Intranetware
>server.
>The bigger part of the workstations are running Windows 95 a (4.00.950) with
>Client 32.

>One application is giving problems, it's a Clipper Dos application with many
>different database files. The thing that happens the most is 'corruption
>detected' in NTX files.
>The databases are indexed every night... Sometimes reindexing helps,
>sometimes there are empty records

>Does anyone have a clue of how to solve these problems?

>thanks for reading/helping...

>Siewert

Thu, 30 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: win95 + NW4.11 + Clipper?

2. client32/ethernet/clipper app/corrupt indexes

3. HELP ! Clipper DBF file header Corruption

4. Clipper DBF or NTX corruption?

5. diskspace() err win95+Novell4.x

6. network problem novell4/win95

7. Client32/Win95

8. Can't see that IPX is loaded under Win95/Client32

9. Clipper App hogs the machine running under Win95

10. Network settings for Win95/98 from a Clipper app

11. Win95 install program for Clipper app

12. Migrate Clipper App to Win95 or DOS