Clipper failing on UNLOCK
Author Message
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK

I've got a definite FUBAR situation here.  I have a program that creates a
tbrowse, then allows the user to manipulate the records (of course).  One
possible manipulation is delete (again, of course).

The rub is, if I set an order prior to entering the tbrowse, then after a
certain number of deletions I get a GPF (running in a DOS window under
Win98).  If there is no NSX file present then it'll let me delete to my
heart's content.  Finally, the GPF occurs on the UNLOCK statement.

Let's see: Win98 with plenty of memory, using SIXNSX as our NSX library,
Blinker is our linker, Clipper 5.1, etc., etc.  I've tried changing the
opsize in the link script, I've rearranged statements in the PRG file, I've
changed the index statements, nothing seems to help.  Any ideas out there?

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK

Quote:

> Let's see: Win98 with plenty of memory, using SIXNSX as our NSX library,
> Blinker is our linker, Clipper 5.1, etc., etc. I've tried changing the
> opsize in the link script, I've rearranged statements in the PRG file,
> I've changed the index statements, nothing seems to help. Any ideas out
> there?

Have you worked out where the GPF is actually happening? Also, what version
of CA-Clipper are you really using (there was no 5.1)?

Haven't I also read about problems with SIXNSX in the past? Perhaps a Deja
<URL:http://www.deja.com/usenet/> search might help?

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK
Hi ,
I had a similar problem with unlock then switched to DBUNLOCK() function.
That seemed to work better.
Try it, bye for now.
Greg

Quote:
> I've got a definite FUBAR situation here.  I have a program that creates a
> tbrowse, then allows the user to manipulate the records (of course).  One
> possible manipulation is delete (again, of course).

> The rub is, if I set an order prior to entering the tbrowse, then after a
> certain number of deletions I get a GPF (running in a DOS window under
> Win98).  If there is no NSX file present then it'll let me delete to my
> heart's content.  Finally, the GPF occurs on the UNLOCK statement.

> Let's see: Win98 with plenty of memory, using SIXNSX as our NSX library,
> Blinker is our linker, Clipper 5.1, etc., etc.  I've tried changing the
> opsize in the link script, I've rearranged statements in the PRG file,
I've
> changed the index statements, nothing seems to help.  Any ideas out there?

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:21:43 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK
On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:21:43 +1100, "Greg Eggert"

Quote:

>Hi ,
>I had a similar problem with unlock then switched to DBUNLOCK() function.
>That seemed to work better.

Well, in STD.CH, we find:

#command UNLOCK                 => dbUnlock()

So, there is no difference. UNLOCK is dbUnlock().

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net

      If you are banking on a free software project
       getting 'Finished', then you are probably a
            poor investor in the first place.

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:42:19 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK

Quote:

> I had a similar problem with unlock then switched to DBUNLOCK() function.
> That seemed to work better.

The UNLOCK command *is* the DBUNLOCK() function:

,----

`----

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for Windows.
Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK
Boz

Which Version of SIXNSX - the commercial or freeware one??

The freeware one has problems IIRC.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK
Well, if you want I can give you a copy of the stack dump; if you mean on
the command level, it's occurring at the UNLOCK statement in a IF
RECLOCK...DELETE...UNLOCK...END IF block.

The Clipper version is 5.2d...you're right, I'd actually been talking about
WordPerfect about 15 seconds before I wrote the original post, and had "5.1"
on the brain.

Quote:

> > Let's see: Win98 with plenty of memory, using SIXNSX as our NSX library,
> > Blinker is our linker, Clipper 5.1, etc., etc. I've tried changing the
> > opsize in the link script, I've rearranged statements in the PRG file,
> > I've changed the index statements, nothing seems to help. Any ideas out
> > there?

> Have you worked out where the GPF is actually happening? Also, what
version
> of CA-Clipper are you really using (there was no 5.1)?

> Haven't I also read about problems with SIXNSX in the past? Perhaps a Deja
> <URL:http://www.deja.com/usenet/> search might help?

> --
> Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
> http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.
> http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
> Free software, including........| dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK

Boz,

Quote:
> changed the index statements, nothing seems to help.  Any ideas out
> there?

After the Delete, you could try a dbgoto( recno() ) prior to
any "oBrowse:refreshAll()" call(s) to resynch the Dbf => Tbrowse buffer,

Update to Clipper 5.2(e), it fixed a VMIF error in Tbrowse(), IIRC.

HTH & Regards,
Bob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper failing on UNLOCK
FYI, here's the resolution to the issue presented below:

The problem appears to be that a too-large field was included as an index
key.  The field in question is a "description" field, that was supposed to
be 78 characters long; at some point the database got recreated and this
field was set at the default of 255 characters.  Reducing the length of this
field back to 78 seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Quote:
> I've got a definite FUBAR situation here.  I have a program that creates a
> tbrowse, then allows the user to manipulate the records (of course).  One
> possible manipulation is delete (again, of course).

> The rub is, if I set an order prior to entering the tbrowse, then after a
> certain number of deletions I get a GPF (running in a DOS window under
> Win98).  If there is no NSX file present then it'll let me delete to my
> heart's content.  Finally, the GPF occurs on the UNLOCK statement.

> Let's see: Win98 with plenty of memory, using SIXNSX as our NSX library,
> Blinker is our linker, Clipper 5.1, etc., etc.  I've tried changing the
> opsize in the link script, I've rearranged statements in the PRG file,
I've
> changed the index statements, nothing seems to help.  Any ideas out there?

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Unlock Dolphin 4 VE with a Dolphin 4 PRO unlock key

2. Rlocking on SIX RDD Clipper database with Visual Basic ADO fails

3. Clipper Debugger Fails In Windows 95 or 98 DOS Box

4. Clipper fails on Celeron 433

5. Clipper printing to LPT1 in XP fails.

6. Clipper CDX Index Fails: OrderCreate(0) when file is large

7. Lock Failed error in Clipper 5.2 app

8. Passed by Reference failed - Clipper 5.2e bug ?

9. Clipper 5.2e update fails. HELP

10. runtime distribution files and unlocking evaluation

11. Unlock of APL2/PC FNS/OPS

12. Unlocking APL Functions