clipper & nt illegal instruction
Author Message
 clipper & nt illegal instruction

I am running several apps. compiled utilizing clipper V5.3b, and linked with
Blinker V5 , the applications runs successfully on Win95/98 workstations,
however when I attempt to run them on  NT workstation v4.5 the following
error occurs, regardless of which of the several clipper applications i
attempt to run: NTVDM.CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

Has anyone encountered this before? This is the first attempt at running the
applications in the NT environmnet, so we do not have a referance point to
start from, other than knowing that the applications run in 95/98 without
problem, and that the environment settings have been set in the config.nt
and autoexec.nt files.
Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Thanks,

John A. Cheesmond

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper & nt illegal instruction
John,

Are you running the app on a NTFS partition?  If so, I'd be really
interested to know if running it on a FAT partition on the NT workstation
resolved the problem.  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on
NTFS.

HTH,
Dale.

Quote:
> I am running several apps. compiled utilizing clipper V5.3b, and linked
with
> Blinker V5 , the applications runs successfully on Win95/98 workstations,
> however when I attempt to run them on  NT workstation v4.5 the following
> error occurs, regardless of which of the several clipper applications i
> attempt to run: NTVDM.CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

> Has anyone encountered this before? This is the first attempt at running
the
> applications in the NT environmnet, so we do not have a referance point
> start from, other than knowing that the applications run in 95/98 without
> problem, and that the environment settings have been set in the config.nt
> and autoexec.nt files.
> Any help or leads would be appreciated.
> Thanks,

> John A. Cheesmond

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper & nt illegal instruction
snip[  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on  NTAS. ]

I have heard that as well, but when I heard it was 12 months after I was
running Clipper software under this format on NT with out any problems.

Has anybody any proof or is it one of those urban myths....?

Phil McGuinness
----------------------

Quote:
> John,

> Are you running the app on a NTFS partition?  If so, I'd be really
> interested to know if running it on a FAT partition on the NT workstation
> resolved the problem.  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on
> NTFS.

> HTH,
> Dale.

> > I am running several apps. compiled utilizing clipper V5.3b, and linked
> with
> > Blinker V5 , the applications runs successfully on Win95/98
workstations,
> > however when I attempt to run them on  NT workstation v4.5 the following
> > error occurs, regardless of which of the several clipper applications i
> > attempt to run: NTVDM.CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

> > Has anyone encountered this before? This is the first attempt at running
> the
> > applications in the NT environmnet, so we do not have a referance point
> > start from, other than knowing that the applications run in 95/98
without
> > problem, and that the environment settings have been set in the
config.nt
> > and autoexec.nt files.
> > Any help or leads would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,

> > John A. Cheesmond

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper & nt illegal instruction
Me too, Phil.

I've been using NT on my Clipper development system for about 2 years
without problem.  I have one FAT and two NTFS partitions and there is no
difference for Clipper that I have ever seen

I have had occasional problems with my DOS editor not releasing it's
backup/system files quickly enough and I can't use Norton Commander without
getting "This application has attempted to directly access the hard disk
which cannot be supported.  This may cause the application to function
incorrectly."  Abort/Ignore.  I always ignore and it still works. But I've
never had a problem with a Clipper application.

Are you, per chance, trying to read the hard drive serial number?  are you
using any other ASM utilities that may have been designed for DOS only?  NT
is a bit more tempermental about applications trying to access hardware than
DOS or Win95/98, but this behavior is not impacted by NTFS vs FAT.

Quote:
> snip[  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on  NTAS. ]

> I have heard that as well, but when I heard it was 12 months after I was
> running Clipper software under this format on NT with out any problems.

> Has anybody any proof or is it one of those urban myths....?

> Phil McGuinness
> ----------------------

> > John,

> > Are you running the app on a NTFS partition?  If so, I'd be really
> > interested to know if running it on a FAT partition on the NT
workstation
> > resolved the problem.  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on
> > NTFS.

> > HTH,
> > Dale.

> > > I am running several apps. compiled utilizing clipper V5.3b, and
linked
> > with
> > > Blinker V5 , the applications runs successfully on Win95/98
> workstations,
> > > however when I attempt to run them on  NT workstation v4.5 the
following
> > > error occurs, regardless of which of the several clipper applications
> > > attempt to run: NTVDM.CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

> > > Has anyone encountered this before? This is the first attempt at
running
> > the
> > > applications in the NT environmnet, so we do not have a referance
point
> > > start from, other than knowing that the applications run in 95/98
> without
> > > problem, and that the environment settings have been set in the
> config.nt
> > > and autoexec.nt files.
> > > Any help or leads would be appreciated.
> > > Thanks,

> > > John A. Cheesmond

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper & nt illegal instruction
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:08:12 +1000, "Phil McGuinness"

Quote:

>snip[  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on  NTAS. ]
>I have heard that as well, but when I heard it was 12 months after I was
>running Clipper software under this format on NT with out any problems.
>Has anybody any proof or is it one of those urban myths....?

Other than NT crashing of it's own weight, I've had absolutely no
problems using NTFS. In fact, all of my partitions have been NTFS for
the last three years.

However, it is a good thing to keep up with the service packs.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

     Do all the good you can, In all the ways you can,
     In all the places you can, At all times you can,
     To all the people you can, As long as you ever can.

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 clipper & nt illegal instruction
snip[ > using any other ASM utilities that may have been designed for DOS
only?  ]

I still use the old DOS Norton Commander version 4 and if you Press CTRL+L
this tells you how much space is available on the harddrive etc. This
function complains that I have accessed something I should not.

It complains once then it is fine.

Phil McGuinness
------------------------

Quote:
> Me too, Phil.

> I've been using NT on my Clipper development system for about 2 years
> without problem.  I have one FAT and two NTFS partitions and there is no
> difference for Clipper that I have ever seen

> I have had occasional problems with my DOS editor not releasing it's
> backup/system files quickly enough and I can't use Norton Commander
without
> getting "This application has attempted to directly access the hard disk
> which cannot be supported.  This may cause the application to function
> incorrectly."  Abort/Ignore.  I always ignore and it still works. But I've
> never had a problem with a Clipper application.

> Are you, per chance, trying to read the hard drive serial number?  are you
> using any other ASM utilities that may have been designed for DOS only?
NT
> is a bit more tempermental about applications trying to access hardware
than
> DOS or Win95/98, but this behavior is not impacted by NTFS vs FAT.

> > snip[  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on  NTAS. ]

> > I have heard that as well, but when I heard it was 12 months after I was
> > running Clipper software under this format on NT with out any problems.

> > Has anybody any proof or is it one of those urban myths....?

> > Phil McGuinness
> > ----------------------

> > > John,

> > > Are you running the app on a NTFS partition?  If so, I'd be really
> > > interested to know if running it on a FAT partition on the NT
> workstation
> > > resolved the problem.  I've heard that clipper app's don't run well on
> > > NTFS.

> > > HTH,
> > > Dale.

> linked
> > > with
> > workstations,
> following

> running
> > > the
> point
> > without
> > config.nt

Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Windows NT 3.5 Illegal Instruction

2. Illegal Instruction Workaround

3. Any illegal instruction processing interrupts?

4. Illegal instructions

5. Why does this give illegal instruction?

6. Illegal instruction (core dumped)

7. drand : illegal instruction ???

8. Illegal Instruction on Mac OS X Intel

9. Illegal Instruction in Tcl_Eval()

10. 'after' causes illegal instruction errors

11. clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server

12. Clipper & NT