clipper newbie-how to insert into a dbf using several NTX's
Author Message
 clipper newbie-how to insert into a dbf using several NTX's

Help please,
  Very simple question.  What is the easiest way to insert all the records
from one DBF, into a large DBF with the same exact structure, using 7 ntx's.
This is to add to already existing DBF's and NTX's from an old application
at my job.  I have clipper 5 and/or 5.3.

in other words, i tried
                      USE old.dbf SHARED
                      ORDLISTADD (index1)
                      ORDLISTADD (index2)
                      ORDLISTADD (index3)
                       APPEND FROM new.dbf

 but it asked for NDX's.  I also tried using SET INDEX, but it said my
indexes were corrupt (they are not, i reindexed before).  I know i have the
right idea but the wrong commands.

Where can i find simple clipper info, like this?  Any good books someone
could recommend?
Thanks (a lot) in advance,

JE

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:23:13 GMT
 clipper newbie-how to insert into a dbf using several NTX's
Your code is close.  I wrote basically the same code and tested it
successfully.  I specified the name of each .ntx file as the
argument to ordlistadd() - as a string.  So assuming the
index filename index1.ntx my code was:
ordlistadd("index1")
Your code does not show the quotes, but perhaps in your
code index1 is a variable containing the filename.

The .dbf extension is not necessary.

I wonder if clipper is correctly installed, and your
environment is set up correctly.  You should make sure clipper.exe
and your .lib files have the same timestamp.

Be more specific about which version of Clipper you have.  Tell
us what OS and version, what compiler switches you use, what your
link script (or command) looks like.

Could it be that somebody made ndx your default driver?  The usual
method is to make the necessary changes to rddsys.prg and linking
the resulting .obj into the .exe, however, the .lib file containing
this object may have been altered, also.

Quote:

--

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:41:18 GMT
 clipper newbie-how to insert into a dbf using several NTX's

Quote:
>This is to add to already existing DBF's and NTX's from an old application
>at my job.  I have clipper 5 and/or 5.3.

>in other words, i tried
>                      USE old.dbf SHARED
>                      ORDLISTADD (index1)
>                      ORDLISTADD (index2)
>                      ORDLISTADD (index3)
>                       APPEND FROM new.dbf

> but it asked for NDX's.  I also tried using SET INDEX, but it said my
>indexes were corrupt (they are not, i reindexed before).  I know i have the
>right idea but the wrong commands.

NDX's are index files from DBase III (or Plus) .
 You have to tell us what are you talking about NTX or NDX files ?
What is your dafault RDD driver ?

Here is very important information from NG :
  The DBFNDX database driver allows creation, access, and updating of
  dBASE III and dBASE III PLUS compatible index (.ndx) files.  Index files
  (.ndx) created with CA-Clipper  are exactly the same as those created by
  dBASE III PLUS.  All operations that can be performed on standard
  CA-Clipper index (.ntx) files can be performed on (.ndx) files using the
  DBFNDX database driver.

  In a network environment, the DBFNDX driver supports the CA-Clipper
  file and record locking scheme.  The multiuser behavior is the same as
  the default DBFNTX driver.  This means that the DBFNDX database driver
  supports concurrent access to (.ndx) files between CA-Clipper
  applications only.  Concurrent access to (.ndx) files between dBASE III
  PLUS and CA-Clipper programs is not supported.

  Important!  Updating database (.dbf) and index (.ndx) files shared
  between dBASE III PLUS and CA-Clipper programs may corrupt the (.dbf)
  and any of its associated (.ndx) files.

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:53:53 GMT
 clipper newbie-how to insert into a dbf using several NTX's
Thanks gentlemen for the help.  I was able to get the program to work.
Specifying ("index1.ntx") didn't work with my current clipper 5 settings,
but did with my clipper 5.3.  Unfortunately, i am not a programmer and was
having a hard time determining some of my settings.  But I am also now more
clear on ntx vs ndx's.
thanks again
juan

Quote:
> Help please,
>   Very simple question.  What is the easiest way to insert all the records
> from one DBF, into a large DBF with the same exact structure, using 7
ntx's.
> This is to add to already existing DBF's and NTX's from an old application
> at my job.  I have clipper 5 and/or 5.3.

> in other words, i tried
>                       USE old.dbf SHARED
>                       ORDLISTADD (index1)
>                       ORDLISTADD (index2)
>                       ORDLISTADD (index3)
>                        APPEND FROM new.dbf

>  but it asked for NDX's.  I also tried using SET INDEX, but it said my
> indexes were corrupt (they are not, i reindexed before).  I know i have
the
> right idea but the wrong commands.

> Where can i find simple clipper info, like this?  Any good books someone
> could recommend?
> Thanks (a lot) in advance,

> JE

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:00:26 GMT

1. Limits of Clipper DBF's and NTX's

2. Discovering corruption dbf's/ntx's

3. ODBC Driver for Clipper DBF/NTX

4. ODBC for Clipper .dbf/.ntx

5. Clipper DBF or NTX corruption?

6. ODBC DRIVER FOR CLIPPER DBF/DBT THAT SUPPORTS NTX INDEX FILES

7. Delphi and NTX (Clipper DBF) - Apollo or Halcyon?

8. dbf/ntx to dbf/idx converter

9. Retrieving data from CLIPPER with SQL, using *.NTX (help)

10. ODBC using Clipper .NTX

11. Clipper NTX's, file size differences....

12. 32bit ODBC drivers using NTX's