Reserved word ?
Author Message
 Reserved word ?

Hi,

Recompiling an old Summper 87 program and came up with

DBHELP.PRG(90) Error C2005  Statement not recognized, match failed at:
'caller'
1 error

The offending line is

replace proc with m->caller

Looking in the reserved words for Clipper (5.2e) and there is PROCLINE,
PROCEDURE and PROCNAME, so I assume the abbrev of any of these causes
the 'offense'. Changing the code to

replace procs with m->caller

worked okay. Clipper 5.2e does more checks than Summer '87, eh.

Peter

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:41:15 GMT
 Reserved word ?

Quote:
> DBHELP.PRG(90) Error C2005  Statement not recognized, match failed at:
> 'caller'
> 1 error

> The offending line is

> replace proc with m->caller

> Looking in the reserved words for Clipper (5.2e) and there is PROCLINE,
> PROCEDURE and PROCNAME, so I assume the abbrev of any of these causes
> the 'offense'. Changing the code to

> replace procs with m->caller

> worked okay. Clipper 5.2e does more checks than Summer '87, eh.

Clipper 5 doesn't really compile the code you see above, it passes it via a
pre-processor and then compiles the result. In essence it's being asked to
compile:

,----
| proc := m->caller
`----

(in practice it's slight different from that, you can see what really
happens by reading the pre-processor output) and, as you point out, PROC is
an abbreviation for PROCEDURE. So, I'd hazard a guess that it's a clash with
the abbreviation for PROCEDURE that's causing a problem.

--
Dave Pearson                        |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:23:22 GMT
 Reserved word ?

Quote:

> Recompiling an old Summper 87 program and came up with

> DBHELP.PRG(90) Error C2005  Statement not recognized, match failed at:
> 'caller'
> 1 error

> The offending line is

> replace proc with m->caller

> Looking in the reserved words for Clipper (5.2e) and there is PROCLINE,
> PROCEDURE and PROCNAME, so I assume the abbrev of any of these causes
> the 'offense'.

Yep. Proc is an allowed abbreviation for procedure.

Richard

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:12:33 GMT

1. Problem with reserved words in column names.

2. Reserved words in JCL

3. PB 3.5 Reserved Words List?

4. Obtaining a list of Clarion Reserved Words

5. CW4 - Reserved Words

6. xbase to clarion with reserved word as xbase variable

7. Reserved Words (2)

8. Reserved words

9. 359 Reserved Words and No Syntax

10. Reserved Words and Functions