$xxxxxxx files 
Author Message
 $xxxxxxx files

I have a clipper 5.3a app linked with blinker 4.1 in protected mode.  This
program runs on a dedicated P100 with 16Mb in DOS 6.20.  After running for
several hours it will halt execution and start creating a $xxxxxxx file
that keeps getting bigger until you cancel the program. When the program
restarts it picks up where it left off and works fine for a while.  The
program is basically a dedicated print server but does a lot of local array
declaration which can sometimes be very large.

Does anyone know what causes this problem or had similar problems.  Any
suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Jeff Davis
Operations Manager/Programmer Analyst
CreditNet Communications, Inc.
(800) 595-0294 ext. 7578



Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 $xxxxxxx files

Quote:

> program runs on a dedicated P100 with 16Mb in DOS 6.20.  After running for
> several hours it will halt execution and start creating a $xxxxxxx file
> that keeps getting bigger until you cancel the program. When the program
> restarts it picks up where it left off and works fine for a while.  The
> program is basically a dedicated print server but does a lot of local array
> declaration which can sometimes be very large.

> Does anyone know what causes this problem or had similar problems.  Any
> suggestions or help would be appreciated.

> Jeff Davis
> Operations Manager/Programmer Analyst
> CreditNet Communications, Inc.
> (800) 595-0294 ext. 7578


I have had similar problems with light lib graphics because
it creats large arrays when useing save/restore screen in
graphics mode.  You can try issueing a memory(-1) after the
array is created then destroyed.

Hope this helps.



Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 $xxxxxxx files

Quote:

> > program runs on a dedicated P100 with 16Mb in DOS 6.20.  After running for
> > several hours it will halt execution and start creating a $xxxxxxx file
> > that keeps getting bigger until you cancel the program. When the program
> > restarts it picks up where it left off and works fine for a while.  The
> > program is basically a dedicated print server but does a lot of local array
> > declaration which can sometimes be very large.

> > Does anyone know what causes this problem or had similar problems.  Any
> > suggestions or help would be appreciated.

> > Jeff Davis
> > Operations Manager/Programmer Analyst
> > CreditNet Communications, Inc.
> > (800) 595-0294 ext. 7578

> I have had similar problems with light lib graphics because
> it creats large arrays when useing save/restore screen in
> graphics mode.  You can try issueing a memory(-1) after the
> array is created then destroyed.

> Hope this helps.

actually I almost forgot, with clipper5.3a & the cdx driver
there is a memory leak, upgrade to 5.3b - It solved many of
my VM errors.


Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 $xxxxxxx files



Quote:
> I have a clipper 5.3a app linked with blinker 4.1 in protected mode.  This
> program runs on a dedicated P100 with 16Mb in DOS 6.20.  After running for
> several hours it will halt execution and start creating a $xxxxxxx file
> Does anyone know what causes this problem or had similar problems.  Any
> suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Jeff,

1st of all, you might want to change the subject of your message.
A lot of people use filters these days and I'm fairly sure that a subject with
either XXX or $ in it will get a message killed automatically :)

2ndly, The files look like temp-files that aren't propperly deleted.
AFAIK these are not 'propperty' Clipper files; not files that Clipper creates
itself, so the app might create them themselves and 'forget' to delete them.
That is, if they even should be deleted...

Sorry that I can't help you more there.

Anne.



Tue, 17 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

2. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

3. How can I know the .EXE file name, file date, file size

4. files, temp files, and file-like objects

5. (VA 4.02b) using long file names for Envy file attachments

6. Comparing 2 files to create a third file

7. searching one file using the contents of another file

8. Parsing CSV file outputting desired information into multiple unique files

9. Substituting :: for __ in every htm file, and rename htlml file

10. newbie would like to break input file and output to separate files

11. Merge selected columns from two different files into another file

12. Reading from input file writing to output file

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software