Qs
Author Message
 Qs

Which are the most stable index type you suggest (NTX,MDX,CDX,NSX...) ?

Is Blinker 4 more stable than Blinker 3?

Is 5.2e more stable than 5.2d, and what about 5.3x?

Where can I find new patches for Clipper,Blinker,Six?

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs

Quote:

>Which are the most stable index type you suggest (NTX,MDX,CDX,NSX...) ?

Many people prefer CDX of Comix, while I would say NSX is good enough.

Quote:
>Is Blinker 4 more stable than Blinker 3?

Cannot feel the difference. The obvious advantage of verion 4.x is the
ability to compress EXE to ( sometimes ) more than 50 %. And it allows
building and using Clipper DLL. Furthermore there is no ( recently )
decompiler available for EXE linked with version 4.x, thus a good plus
point for commercial application. And version 5.x is on the way (
under beta testing ). It will link codes compiled with XBase ++ and as
IIRC, it is said to have better tolerance AFA DGROUP is concerned.

Quote:
>Is 5.2e more stable than 5.2d, and what about 5.3x?

As the versions code dictates, an "e" is always more mature than a
"d". Enhancements from "d" are as below :

o General DBFCDX RDD stability problems.

o DBFCDX RDD compability problems with FoxPro 2.6 during record
  locking and record append locking.

o 1210 errors with DBFCDX RDD after a reindex.

o Corrected problem with APPEND BLANK (dbappend()) if optional
  argument was not passed to function.

o Corrected General Protection Fault (GPF) in PICTURE clause.

o Corrected GPF in ERRORSYS when constantly selecting "Retry" in
  Error Alert box.

o Corrected GPF in SET ORDER TO (OrdSetFocus()) when used in a loop.

o Corrected Virtual Memory Integrity Failure (VMIF) error in TBrowse
  stabilization.

o Corrected GPF in TBrowse STABILIZE() method with repeated
  CTRL-PGDN/CTRL-PGUP key events.

o Added reserved words in NG file and Reserved.ch file.

o Added error handling code to NTXERR.PRG.

o Enhanced NG file for TBrowse, Get and Error Classes.

IMHO, 5.3x is "half-sized" product. It used different floating point
making most of previously available 3rd party products useless.

Quote:
>Where can I find new patches for Clipper,Blinker,Six?

Clipper : ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper
          ftp://mf.cai.com/CAproducts/clipper

Blinker : ftp://ftp.blinkinc.com/pub/updates
          ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Six     : ftp://ftp.luxent.com/pub/InstallFiles

Andi Jahja

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs

Quote:
>Personnally I feel 5.3x is like 5.2x + CLASS(Y) + STARCLASS.

Agree and the later is very much more flexible as the hybrid does not
kill the many excellent 3rd party libs ( now scarcely developed even
to suit 5.3x :-( ..... even xBase++ IMO does not speak 5.3x )

Andi Jahja

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs

Quote:

>Which are the most stable index type you suggest (NTX,MDX,CDX,NSX...) ?

>Is Blinker 4 more stable than Blinker 3?

>Is 5.2e more stable than 5.2d, and what about 5.3x?

>Where can I find new patches for Clipper,Blinker,Six?

If you have a copy of 5.2e, never, never go for earlier version. I have
experienced in almost all the 5.1x to 5.2e version, trust me, 5.2e is much
stable.
I do not see a need for 5.3x if you don't intend to experience OOP or to
prepare youself for V.O...(some sort of window rpogramming feel)Personnally
I feel 5.3x is like 5.2x + CLASS(Y) + STARCLASS.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. several Qs

2. Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

3. Qs about language nomenclature

4. New newbies Qs on Ruby

5. Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's library

6. Qs on Ruby and DbC/Smalltalk

7. 2 Qs: IndexedFaceSets & browsers

8. Qs re 'Write & 'Read

9. newbie obj files Qs