R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000
Author Message
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000

I use the dos version of r&R report writer.  I am experiment with
calling the windows R&R report writer runtime rrwrun.  It works fine but
I have a behavior difference under windows 9x and windows 2000.  The
behavior difference is the same under blinker 6.0 regardless if
swpruncmd is used or overlay is used.

Under DOS rrun, when the run time is called via swpruncmd or overlay,
the clipper program pauses until the runtime is exited and then
processing continues at the next command line in the clipper program.

Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd or
overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under win9x, it
is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because the
clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and is
functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does not
wait for the report program to be exited.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a way to control this behavior.

Tue, 04 May 2004 07:10:01 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000

Quote:

> Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd
or
> overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under
win9x, it
> is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because
the
> clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and
is
> functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does
not
> wait for the report program to be exited.

Have a look at:
    start /?

(not really clipper related.)

Wed, 05 May 2004 02:44:51 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000
Hi Clifford,
rrwrun is starting its own process. I didnt find a way to ask inside
clipper, whether a windowsprocess is still running or not. But rrwrun needs
the rrunout.dbf to write down a statement about successfull printing or
whether an error occured during printing. So I delete this database before
swapping to rrwrun.exe. If this database is back in the directory, the
printingprocess is stopped. Even if you put your printing to the display,
the rrunout.dbf is only created by rrwrun, when the preview-window is
closed. So you can ask in do while statement for the appearing of
rrwrunout.dbf. For example:

________________________
   cDiPi := rg_DiPi(cDiPi)               //Function, where the user is
asked, whether he wants the printing on the screen or to the printer
   erase rrunout.dbf                         // time to delete the database

   NET_DBF (3,10, network_yn, "RRWRUNIN", .F., "")         // NETZ: USE..
   NET_RLCK (3,10, network_yn)                             // NETZ:
Satz-Sperrung
   REPLACE Ri_report WITH N_FDrive()+N_FPath()+"KUNDENUM.RRW"
   REPLACE Ri_master WITH N_FDrive()+N_FPath()+"KUNDUMS.DBF"
   REPLACE Ri_printer WITH cDiPi
   REPLACE Ri_wtitle WITH "ASS Kunden-Umsatzliste"
   for net__iii = 1 to net_maxdbf                          // NETZ: closing
all indizes and databases
      select  (net__iii)                                           // NETZ:
NTX schliessen.
      NET_DBF (3,10, network_yn, '', .F.)                  // NETZ:
 Wiederer"ffnung
   next                                                    // NETZ: mit
NET_REOP (..)
   swpgetkey(.f.)
   ret_var = SWPRUNCMD("rrwrun rrwrunin 1 /B",0,"","")
   do while !file("RRUNOUT.DBF") .AND. LastKey()<>K_F10  //F10 is my
breaking key
      OL_Yield()
// TimeSlices an Windows
      INKEY()
   ENDDO
   SELECT 0
   NET_DBF (3,10, network_yn, "RRUNOUT", .F., "")          // NETZ: USE..
   nReports := 0
   NET_DBF  (3,10, network_yn, '', .F.)                 // NETZ: USE (close)

   // At this time, we have a database without fields. Give rrwrun.exe the
time to do its work.
  // The field ro_reports tells me, if printing was successfull or not.

   DO WHILE nREPORTS <> 1 .AND. LastKey()<>K_F10
      NET_DBF (3,10, network_yn, "RRUNOUT", .F., "")       // NETZ: USE..
      nReports := RO_REPORTS
      IF ro_ecode="R"
         BREAK
      ENDIF
      NET_DBF  (3,10, network_yn, '', .F.)                 // NETZ: USE
(close)
      OL_Yield()
      inkey()
   ENDDO
   OL_WinFullScreen()  // printing was ok, back to fullscreen. The
Clipper-Application comes back
--------------------------
I know, this is not a glorius way of programming, but it works. Perhaps,
someone has a better idea.
Ralf

Quote:
> I use the dos version of r&R report writer.  I am experiment with
> calling the windows R&R report writer runtime rrwrun.  It works fine but
> I have a behavior difference under windows 9x and windows 2000.  The
> behavior difference is the same under blinker 6.0 regardless if
> swpruncmd is used or overlay is used.

> Under DOS rrun, when the run time is called via swpruncmd or overlay,
> the clipper program pauses until the runtime is exited and then
> processing continues at the next command line in the clipper program.

> Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd or
> overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under win9x, it
> is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because the
> clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and is
> functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does not
> wait for the report program to be exited.

> Has anyone experienced this and is there a way to control this behavior.

Wed, 05 May 2004 03:53:53 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000

This is a quite old problem that started with the first version of R&R for
Windows and Win 95.  I have written up the problem several times to the old
and new R&R owners and even though they have released 6.5, 7.0, 7.1,8.0 and
now version 9, they still have not addressed this basic problem.  Each
upgrade cost more than the original DOS version.

I have tried "start".  I have looked for rrunout.dbf.  If the rrunout.dbf
code works, I am surprised and will try it again.  It works great on all the
DOS versions of RR,  it is just that awful multi-tasking ability of Windows
that kills you!

I still use the R&R for Windows because of the printer support and the
preview is much better than the DOS version.

Quote:
> I use the dos version of r&R report writer.  I am experiment with
> calling the windows R&R report writer runtime rrwrun.  It works fine but
> I have a behavior difference under windows 9x and windows 2000.  The
> behavior difference is the same under blinker 6.0 regardless if
> swpruncmd is used or overlay is used.

> Under DOS rrun, when the run time is called via swpruncmd or overlay,
> the clipper program pauses until the runtime is exited and then
> processing continues at the next command line in the clipper program.

> Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd or
> overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under win9x, it
> is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because the
> clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and is
> functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does not
> wait for the report program to be exited.

> Has anyone experienced this and is there a way to control this behavior.

Wed, 05 May 2004 05:03:37 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000

Quote:

>Hi Clifford,
>rrwrun is starting its own process. I didnt find a way to ask inside
>clipper, whether a windowsprocess is still running or not.

Hello Ralf and Clifford,

The issue of being able to detect active window processes via Clipper
came up some time ago (maybe 4 years ago). The following text
describes what I did to solve this generic problem in the context of
the specific application. The technique could be applied equally well
in your case.

If you want the code just ask.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

/*
  Launch an FTP session specifically to collect the DigiKey pricelist
and daily stock situation in support of the ES+S production planning
system.

  Uses the shareware WS_FTP95 Limited Edition windows program to
collect the  file.  This windows program can be started from a dos box
with commandline  parameters. It provides an on-screen progress box
and "Cancel" button"  which is important for this 1 MByte file
download.

  The WS_FTP95 program has been installed in the C:\FTP directory to
avoid  the problem caused by the space in the long directory name of
launching  from the default "C:\Program Files\WS_FTP" directory.

  The specific contact details of ftp address, starting directory,
user id,  password are stored in the profile "DigiKey" which WS_FTP95
creates and  stores in its WS_FTP.INI file. The alternative is an
all-too-long command  line string.

  This calling program, MakeSond.EXE, must be forced into a window
before the  WS_FTP95 is launched. As there is no function available to
do this  programatically, the operator is prompted to do so.

  Immediately after the WS_FTP95 program has been launched, focus is
returned  to the Makesond program. However, in this instance, we do
not want Makesond  to be returned to normal operation because of the
need to UnZip the  incoming file immediately following the completion.
Use is made of a file  called PS.EXE supplied by Dave Pearson and
renamed for clarity only as  WINPROGS.EXE. WINPROGS.EXE examines the
Windows processing queue and writes  the details to a text file which
is examined until the string WS_FTP95 is  NOT found which means the
FTP process has been completed.

*/

Wed, 05 May 2004 07:06:19 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000
Thanks for the various replies.  It is usual for Microsoft that they make win 9x
and W2000 behave differently.  I will try these but the check for the
rrunout.dbf seems like a good approach.  I will at the others also.  Thanks
again.

Cliff.

Quote:

> This is a quite old problem that started with the first version of R&R for
> Windows and Win 95.  I have written up the problem several times to the old
> and new R&R owners and even though they have released 6.5, 7.0, 7.1,8.0 and
> now version 9, they still have not addressed this basic problem.  Each
> upgrade cost more than the original DOS version.

> I have tried "start".  I have looked for rrunout.dbf.  If the rrunout.dbf
> code works, I am surprised and will try it again.  It works great on all the
> DOS versions of RR,  it is just that awful multi-tasking ability of Windows
> that kills you!

> I still use the R&R for Windows because of the printer support and the
> preview is much better than the DOS version.

> > I use the dos version of r&R report writer.  I am experiment with
> > calling the windows R&R report writer runtime rrwrun.  It works fine but
> > I have a behavior difference under windows 9x and windows 2000.  The
> > behavior difference is the same under blinker 6.0 regardless if
> > swpruncmd is used or overlay is used.

> > Under DOS rrun, when the run time is called via swpruncmd or overlay,
> > the clipper program pauses until the runtime is exited and then
> > processing continues at the next command line in the clipper program.

> > Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd or
> > overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under win9x, it
> > is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because the
> > clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and is
> > functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does not
> > wait for the report program to be exited.

> > Has anyone experienced this and is there a way to control this behavior.

Wed, 05 May 2004 10:33:02 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:10:01 -0600, Clifford Wiernik

Quote:

>I use the dos version of r&R report writer.  I am experiment with
>calling the windows R&R report writer runtime rrwrun.  It works fine but
>I have a behavior difference under windows 9x and windows 2000.  The
>behavior difference is the same under blinker 6.0 regardless if
>swpruncmd is used or overlay is used.

>Under DOS rrun, when the run time is called via swpruncmd or overlay,
>the clipper program pauses until the runtime is exited and then
>processing continues at the next command line in the clipper program.

>Calling the windows runtime rrwrun, with same program and swpruncmd or
>overlay, under W2000 the behavior is the same.  However, under win9x, it
>is as if the rrwrun program is called in a different thread because the
>clipper program does not pause.  The windows runtime is loaded and is
>functional but the clipper program continues immediately and does not
>wait for the report program to be exited.

>Has anyone experienced this and is there a way to control this behavior.

try this:

swpruncmd("Start/w rrwrun")

start/w forces the caller to wait for the callee to terminate.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Wed, 05 May 2004 03:52:40 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000
Ross,

You are obviously correct in identifying this as a problem running all
Windows programs and not just R&R.  I still expected something better from
R&R like the code you and Dave made to check the que.

I would like to see Dave's code on checking the que.  I wonder if it covers
all Windows versions including varieties of NT.

Mike

Quote:

> >Hi Clifford,
> >rrwrun is starting its own process. I didnt find a way to ask inside
> >clipper, whether a windowsprocess is still running or not.

> Hello Ralf and Clifford,

> The issue of being able to detect active window processes via Clipper
> came up some time ago (maybe 4 years ago). The following text
> describes what I did to solve this generic problem in the context of
> the specific application. The technique could be applied equally well
> in your case.

> If you want the code just ask.

> Regards,

> Ross McKenzie
> ValuSoft
> Melbourne Australia

> /*
>   Launch an FTP session specifically to collect the DigiKey pricelist
> and daily stock situation in support of the ES+S production planning
> system.

>   Uses the shareware WS_FTP95 Limited Edition windows program to
> collect the  file.  This windows program can be started from a dos box
> with commandline  parameters. It provides an on-screen progress box
> and "Cancel" button"  which is important for this 1 MByte file
> download.

>   The WS_FTP95 program has been installed in the C:\FTP directory to
> avoid  the problem caused by the space in the long directory name of
> launching  from the default "C:\Program Files\WS_FTP" directory.

>   The specific contact details of ftp address, starting directory,
> user id,  password are stored in the profile "DigiKey" which WS_FTP95
> creates and  stores in its WS_FTP.INI file. The alternative is an
> all-too-long command  line string.

>   This calling program, MakeSond.EXE, must be forced into a window
> before the  WS_FTP95 is launched. As there is no function available to
> do this  programatically, the operator is prompted to do so.

>   Immediately after the WS_FTP95 program has been launched, focus is
> returned  to the Makesond program. However, in this instance, we do
> not want Makesond  to be returned to normal operation because of the
> need to UnZip the  incoming file immediately following the completion.
> Use is made of a file  called PS.EXE supplied by Dave Pearson and
> renamed for clarity only as  WINPROGS.EXE. WINPROGS.EXE examines the
> Windows processing queue and writes  the details to a text file which
> is examined until the string WS_FTP95 is  NOT found which means the
> FTP process has been completed.

> */

Wed, 05 May 2004 21:36:37 GMT
 R&R report writer rrwrun/ clipper 5.2e/w9x/w2000

Quote:
>Ross,

>You are obviously correct in identifying this as a problem running all
>Windows programs and not just R&R.  I still expected something better from
>R&R like the code you and Dave made to check the que.

Hi Mike,

Small correction. Dave pointed me at the source of the original
utility. I cannot recall the name of the author (but he deserves a
medal). I simply wrote the Clipper code around it to extract the name
of the windows app that I was interested in from the queue.

I just tried it again using my NT4 system and it works.

I can supply the .exe of the utility....not sure if I ever had the
source for it.

Regards,

Ross

Quote:

>I would like to see Dave's code on checking the que.  I wonder if it covers
>all Windows versions including varieties of NT.

>Mike

>> >Hi Clifford,
>> >rrwrun is starting its own process. I didnt find a way to ask inside
>> >clipper, whether a windowsprocess is still running or not.

>> Hello Ralf and Clifford,

>> The issue of being able to detect active window processes via Clipper
>> came up some time ago (maybe 4 years ago). The following text
>> describes what I did to solve this generic problem in the context of
>> the specific application. The technique could be applied equally well
>> in your case.

>> If you want the code just ask.

>> Regards,

>> Ross McKenzie
>> ValuSoft
>> Melbourne Australia

Thu, 06 May 2004 06:31:48 GMT

1. R&R Report Writer & Report Smith

2. Clipper 5.2e Netware 3.x print W2000

3. Windows Report Writer(RRV8) call from 5.2e

4. R&R Report Writer vs Crystal Reports

5. R&R Report Writer runtime & Win2000

6. R&R Report Writer runtime & Win2000

7. W2000 & clipper

8. Caution, DBSEEK() Bug Report, Clipper 5.2e

9. FiveWin et Clipper 5.2e (Object REPORT)

10. Clipper 5.2E and report form

11. SOURCE FILES REPORT WRITER for CLIPPER CA5.2 ?

12. What is the best report writer for clipper?